RealModScene
Bryan Sanders

New Hard Drive Transfer

Sorry, I couldn't change the title of my previous question, and I thought of a simpler way to state my situation.

I've read all previous posts in this forum and can't find anything regarding this situation.

Let's say a person has a 2TB external HDD filled with games, XBLA, covers, trailers, etc.  That HDD is failing, so he gets a new one and clones the data.  Now he plugs the HDD in and every game is "greyed out" and the path shows "Disconnected" for GAMES and CONTENT folders in "Manage Paths".

Rather than deleting the paths, which deletes all covers, trailers, etc. (In this case, 6 gigabytes of data), isn't there a way to change the drive ID to the new drive being used, given that this is the ONLY thing that changed in the new configuration??  This would be a 1 out of 10 in terms of rework, where deleting the path is at least an 8 out of 10, particularly when you factor in hiding discs in multi-disc games, etc. that were all set up perfectly in previous installation.

• Like 2

I recently upgraded from a 1tb to a 2tb internal hard drive and i had exactly the same problem. All i did to fix it was delete all my scan paths and re add them and did a full scan on number 9 all catagories. I never touched my db to make changes and everything is now as it should be. Hope this helps.

PS. I did install a fresh copy of aurora and i also had to reinstall the xbox compatibility files after the transfer so make sure that works for you because i also cloned my hard drive and then found certain things not working.

• Like 2

I finally caved in and deleted the scan paths yesterday, but Aurora showed "Downloading 11,450 items". It took over three hours on a 15 megabit connection. Now I have to hide all of my multi disc games again too. Luckily title updates remained.

I'm convinced there must be a more efficient way of accomplishing this task. In addition, what if a person were to need to install a new HDD down the road and this site or Unity weren't available, then what? I'm hoping a future release of Aurora will allow a person to clone a HDD, bit for bit, as I did, and be able to plug it in and have it work straight away. I don't really understand why the drive ID is such an integral part of the way the data is stored other than to differentiate it from another device. I suppose one solution would be to program it so the ID is contained in one database file that can be easily changed, leaving the game data as "universal".

Would like to hear the mods take on this approach.

I finally caved in and deleted the scan paths yesterday, but Aurora showed "Downloading 11,450 items". It took over three hours on a 15 megabit connection. Now I have to hide all of my multi disc games again too. Luckily title updates remained.

I'm convinced there must be a more efficient way of accomplishing this task. In addition, what if a person were to need to install a new HDD down the road and this site or Unity weren't available, then what? I'm hoping a future release of Aurora will allow a person to clone a HDD, bit for bit, as I did, and be able to plug it in and have it work straight away. I don't really understand why the drive ID is such an integral part of the way the data is stored other than to differentiate it from another device. I suppose one solution would be to program it so the ID is contained in one database file that can be easily changed, leaving the game data as "universal".

Would like to hear the mods take on this approach.

then you would use Swizzy's Asset Editor to transfer stuff.. 

the games/tu's/saves/dlc will all work normal, but i am pretty sure the DB in aurora provides a more specific "pairing" between HDDs.. like how it knows when a hdd is connected or not.. so i guess "easiest" way would be to change the DB to know the new hdd, so you wouldn't have to re-download everything, ofc this is just an idea, and i could be wrong.. lol.. 

It would be greatly appreciated to hear Swizzy chime in here so everyone would know for sure.

My asset editor allows you to export/import the covers etc. you can also copy all the files from one install to the other, as long as you fix the folder/filenames to match the new ID's in the new DB...

As felida said, Aurora tracks each hdd by ID, there currently isn't a way to easily switch from one to another, but it's possible to write a utility script that does this with 0.6b

Thanks for your response Swizzy, and all of the work you've put into Aurora. It's greatly appreciated. I look very forward to the release of 0.6b, as it sounds like I will utilize many of the improvements. With three 2tb hard drives filled on each of two systems, I'm definitely looking to streamline the integration of the Aurora dash on each.

Swizzy, would you be able to elaborate on "as long as you fix the folder/filenames to match the new ID's in the new Database"?  Without specifics, I thought it might be as easy as entering the HDD1 and USB0 ID's into the "content.db" file located in: Aurora/Data/Databases for the new drive/system, but I'm quickly realizing that the DB gets updated automatically as soon as you plug the new HDD in and power up. All 881 games are still greyed out, so I need more specifics as to what else needs changing to eliminate the grey.  I have DB Browser for SQLite, which is how I'm accessing the "MountedDevices" section I'm referring to.

MountedDevices is a temporary thing, you need to update another part, i can't remember specifically where it is atm tho...

Otherwise, you can look in the data folder... a description of that structure can be found in the release thread for my asset editor...

Sent from my SM-G903F

Hi Swizzy, when you last responded on September 8th, you mentioned you couldn't remember specifically what the other part of the database is that needs to be updated in order for Aurora to recognize a different HDD than what the database was originally created on.  Have you had time to find the answer to this?  It would be greatly appreciated, as this would massively help out in the event of having to restore a drive from a backup.

Hi Swizzy, when you last responded on September 8th, you mentioned you couldn't remember specifically what the other part of the database is that needs to be updated in order for Aurora to recognize a different HDD than what the database was originally created on. Have you had time to find the answer to this? It would be greatly appreciated, as this would massively help out in the event of having to restore a drive from a backup.

Nope, i didn't really say i would either, you can look for entries matching those in mounted devices (serial) elsewhere in the db, it's either in content.db or settings.db, i don't remember at the top of my head...

This may also help you; https://github.com/XboxUnity/AuroraScripts/blob/master/UtilityScripts/DBCleaner/Main.lua

Sent from my SM-G903F

Does anyone know if there was a script or program created so I can upgrade my HD and will automatically deal with the HD ID. I do not want to redo my aurora and loose all my game database?

@Bryan Sanders & @radarshop, I explained how to do this in another thread... the file Swizzy is referring to is "/Data/Databases/content.db", which you should delete. Leave everything else in the /Data/ dir as-is. Then just clear the grayed-out scan paths, re-add them, and do a full scan. Since the title assets will already exist in the /Data/ directory, the scan will simply rebuild a new content.db file without redownloading everything.