RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
noob360

BAD STRING ERROR

hello friends . am having a bit of a problem with my xbox . now when i boot it up it show a bad string error on the xbox logo to get past the error i have to press the home button and go to system settings . and when i go to xex menu and try to launch aurora it shows the bad string error again . i dont know what it is and how to fix it so can anyone out there help me . :)

• Like 1

It's likely a translation problem

Either delete all translations you have, delete the data folder or delete and refresh Aurora with a "clean" copy

My friend have same problem with -=# BAD STRING #=- error in the Aurora 0.6b

This error shows only when switch on/off Xbox and when have 2 extHDD in the USB.

When have only one extHDD in the USB everything it's ok.

Have anybody same problem, any solution?

My friend have same problem with -=# BAD STRING #=- error in the Aurora 0.6b

This error shows only when switch on/off Xbox and when have 2 extHDD in the USB.

When have only one extHDD in the USB everything it's ok.

Have anybody same problem, any solution?

do you have any other details? or does it just say bad string?

He put this screen capture https://console-forum.net/uploads/monthly_2017_01/IMG_20170107_230339.jpg.45748a40a717f810448da4a82964b318.jpg

This doing only when switch off xbox and take out power cable, when power switch on and switch Xbox 360 show this Bad string error, when restart xbox, this error don't showing.

This does it only when Xbox is disengaged from electricity.

I think this doing because Xbox take more power for USB ports when start Xbox and both extHDD.

When he try start Xbox with only one extHDD this error don't showing.

Sorry for my english ;-)

He put this screen capture https://console-forum.net/uploads/monthly_2017_01/IMG_20170107_230339.jpg.45748a40a717f810448da4a82964b318.jpg

This doing only when switch off xbox and take out power cable, when power switch on and switch Xbox 360 show this Bad string error, when restart xbox, this error don't showing.

This does it only when Xbox is disengaged from electricity.

I think this doing because Xbox take more power for USB ports when start Xbox and both extHDD.

When he try start Xbox with only one extHDD this error don't showing.

Sorry for my english ;-)

Which usb ports are you using??

Both up front? 1 in back 1 in front?

Is Xbox slim or phat?

He have Slim, he using back USB ports, but he try one extHDD in the front and second extHDD in the back USB ports, same error.

He have Slim, he using back USB ports, but he try one extHDD in the front and second extHDD in the back USB ports, same error.

Can you post the log from aurora?..

Edit: to get it, make sure the bad string error happens.. dont reset.. and get the log from "aurora/data/logs/" and either ftp to pc, or copy to usb.. when you reset aurora, the log gets cleared..

He send me this log file

attachicon.gifdebug.log.txt

ok.. can you also upload a log of just 1 HDD plugged in??

and this may/may not be related.. but your friend has a corrupted profile:

{ "time" : "22:21:01.259", "thread" : "0xF9000044", "type" : "normal", "filter" : "ProfileMonitor", "message" : "E00004CABDA2E4B4(3) - Corrupted profile!" }

EDIT: also, are you using a translation? if so.. which?

• Like 1

Here is new log file with 1 extHDD debug.log.txt

He using czech translation, It does not affect the language used because this error with bad string shows in the original english lang too.

Here is new log file with 1 extHDD attachicon.gifdebug.log.txt

He using czech translation, It does not affect the language used because this error with bad string shows in the original english lang too.

ok.. so.. the bad string only shows up with both hdds attached.. does not show with either hdd connected?? meaning test 1 hdd, then unplug and test the other hdd??

i am unable to re-produce the error mate.. i've tried using all 3 usb ports in the back.. tried using both up front, 1 in back 1 in front.. swapping all possible ports.. 

might be the hdd? or something mate.. but i am unable to reproduce this error.. but it wouldnt be a power issue.. as if the hdd wasn't drawing enough power, then the hdd wouldnt even boot up mate..

EDIT: does the bad string error show up in aurora 0.5b as well? or is it just localized to 0.6b? have you tried using a fresh install of 0.6b? or did you use the built in updater?

Thanks mate for your help and answers.My friend is noob but he try change language, changing USB ports, fresh install Aurora.

This errors shows only when he start Xbox after unplug out power cable from Xbox and leave both extHDD in the USB ports.

When only switch off Xbox and leave him in the electricity everything is ok.

I told him to Xbox does not disconnect the power cord and everything is okay.

Thanks mate for your help and answers.My friend is noob but he try change language, changing USB ports, fresh install Aurora.

This errors shows only when he start Xbox after unplug out power cable from Xbox and leave both extHDD in the USB ports.

When only switch off Xbox and leave him in the electricity everything is ok.

I told him to Xbox does not disconnect the power cord and everything is okay.

i am baffled.. lol.. has your friend tried a diff hdd altogether and see if the error reproduces? 

only thing i can say honestly.. is try and see if XBwatson tells you something.. which requires the xdk.. but yeah haha.. maybe someone else can chime in.. but like i said... i cant reproduce the error.. 

does your friend have any plugins set for dashlaunch? is he using hddalive?.. lol..

It is something between heaven and earth, it is a mystery :-D

He don't have any plugins set for dashlaunch and hddalive is disabled.

It is something between heaven and earth, it is a mystery :-D

He don't have any plugins set for dashlaunch and hddalive is disabled.

hddalive SHOULD be enabled.. if using externals.. fyi... read the notes!!!

Ok, thanks mate,I'll tell him to hddalive=true.

I did not know that, because I have only internal HDD.

And he must create alive.txt file on both extHDD?

Ok, thanks mate,I'll tell him to hddalive=enabled.

I did not know that, because I have only internal HDD.

He have on hddtimer=210ms this is ok?

yeah.. you gotta put a txt file on the externals mate.. it tells you in the notes of the option

but.. still wont fix the bad string error tho.. lol..

bothers him still shines leds on the extHDD after shutdown Xbox.

Ok, I'll tell him about hddalive and alive.txt, thanks mate

that means there is power to it.. lol.. same thing goes for my xb1 with external attached

Use some electrical tape or something to cover the lights on the HDD if they're annoying...

There is no way to have the console turn off the power to the USB ports when not in use i'm afraid... :/

The alternative is to just ignore the bad string message...