RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
NoSoul

External hdd not detected about half the time upon boot

I have to ask if this is normal for people with the 360 because the same external used to never have this problem in my PS2 slim and anytime I put it in my pc it works everytime but it seems about half the time if I boot up the 360 with it plugged it it won't read it and I have to unplug/replug sometimes twice to get it to work. Yet other times it works on the irst try. I am really curious if there's a problem with my 360, the external hdd which I don't think so or this is normal somehow. 

I just got my 360 rgh'd shipped it off and got it back  about a week ago and long story but the casing was damaged pretty bad on the bottom thanks to the post office I believe it was intentional but that's another story for another day and I just need to know if it could be the reason for it although it's mostly on the bottom where the front usb ports are and the bottom/back but even if I plug the external into the back usb port which is not near where the damage is I still have this problem. 

Oh and I should mention it's a Jasper Arcade older white 360 and the external hdd is a 500 gb seagate portable. 

Have you tried other flash drives for testing? That would probably help you know if the HDD is the problem.

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Have you tried other flash drives for testing? That would probably help you know if the HDD is the problem.

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Tapatalk

Good suggestion to try other USB drives on your 360.

If the problem is only caused by your 500 Gb drive, you could try to format it. FAT32 or exFAT.

If the problem persists for all other USB devices, then it's probably software related and you could try updating your dashboard or install a new version of Aurora. Maybe clearing the cache can also work.

• Like 1

I am on the latest dashboard (was on XBL like 2 weeks ago before I got it rgh'd) and latest Aurora. There is a 32gb flash drive I also use and it gets read by the 360 pretty much everytime. I'm getting a 2nd 500gb external in the mail sometime this week so I will troubleshoot from there and transfer all the games on the curent external to the new one and format the one I have and hopefully everything will be all good. 

I also just turned on the 360 got the same problem and tried it in FSD and it doesn't read the games either so it's probably the hard drive or the 360 and not Auora. 

It's likely a power issue, try using a Y usb cable (extra power)

Sent from my SM-G903F

It's likely a power issue, try using a Y usb cable (extra power)

Sent from my SM-G903F

Brilliant. This could well solve the problem.

I am on the latest dashboard (was on XBL like 2 weeks ago before I got it rgh'd) and latest Aurora. There is a 32gb flash drive I also use and it gets read by the 360 pretty much everytime. I'm getting a 2nd 500gb external in the mail sometime this week so I will troubleshoot from there and transfer all the games on the curent external to the new one and format the one I have and hopefully everything will be all good. 

I also just turned on the 360 got the same problem and tried it in FSD and it doesn't read the games either so it's probably the hard drive or the 360 and not Auora. 

here's an idea.. try ONLY using the HDD, instead of BOTH 32gb and HDD.. and yeah, even THEN, there is a proper way for the HDD's to be connected.. one has to be in the back USB ports, and the other in the front usb ports.. as using both (front or back) WILL cause it to not be read..

here's an idea.. try ONLY using the HDD, instead of BOTH 32gb and HDD.. and yeah, even THEN, there is a proper way for the HDD's to be connected.. one has to be in the back USB ports, and the other in the front usb ports.. as using both (front or back) WILL cause it to not be read..

Who told you that? Using both front/back ports don't matter, or using only one/the other...

The main (most likely issue) is power related, "pocket" drives have a tendency to require a Y cable (extra power) they may need it after some aging as the hardware requires just a wee bit extra to function...

If a pocket drive is ticking or sounding like it's spinning up and immediately go down and up etc. When you put an ear against it, it's 99% of the time a power issue or a bad hdd (most likely power issue if NOT using a Y cable)

Sent from my SM-G903F

Who told you that? Using both front/back ports don't matter, or using only one/the other...

The main (most likely issue) is power related, "pocket" drives have a tendency to require a Y cable (extra power) they may need it after some aging as the hardware requires just a wee bit extra to function...

If a pocket drive is ticking or sounding like it's spinning up and immediately go down and up etc. When you put an ear against it, it's 99% of the time a power issue or a bad hdd (most likely power issue if NOT using a Y cable)

Sent from my SM-G903F

Actually was a problem someone else was having, they couldn't boot a game from the 2nd hdd.. so one hdd had to be in usb0 (back) and then the other had to be in front usb port, and worked flawless.. its not my advice.. but it worked so its worth a shot for op to try that??

Edit: i should say it was a slim trinity that this method fixed the issue.. might not be same with all consoles

Usb0 means first detected usb device...

Sent from my SM-G903F

Usb0 means first detected usb device...

Sent from my SM-G903F

I get that mate lol.. i was just repeating the advice.. i dont know all the ins and outs.. just was giving advice that "worked" instead of just talking out my butt lol

Edit: kind of like how the wifi adapter will only work on back usb port of phat consoles..

Edit2: yeah now that i think about it, the kinect could only be used on that specific port too, but DID require extra power, which was solved in slims, by having a dedicated port gor kinect.. so yeah swizzy.. might actually be a power issue.. lol

• Like 1