RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
sxhsda

High temperature on EDRAM

I have a xbox console for past 2 years it was running completely fine until now something odd has Started happening the fan speeds are up and at maximum speed . Then i noticed that my edram temperature is too high above 77°C while all other are below 50°C . This happens everytime i boot the fan speed is up at full speed after 5 sec of the boot.0ec24056339a7e1aa7374b3f96a43468.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

sounds like the temp sensor in the RAM is faulty... the temperature of the RAM should be slightly higher then the GPU in most cases (depends on the exact model of console tho)

sounds like the temp sensor in the RAM is faulty... the temperature of the RAM should be slightly higher then the GPU in most cases (depends on the exact model of console tho)

I think the same as while playing games i am experiencing zero problems except the fact that the fan speedis high. Anyways what should i do in this case.

What console do you have exactly? What motherboard model...

I just noticed you had posted in asia matchmaking aswell, why? It's not related to that... i've moved it to the Other subsection under Xbox where it belongs...

Sent from my SM-G903F

When I see this stuff and RRoD's it kinda baffles me. My console has been on for the last 1 1/2 months 24/7 and it still doesnt get hotter than 60 degrees and it's covered in dust right now.

Then again I set the cooling profile to 58 degree's and I used Antec Formula 7 Nanodiamond compound. It even sits upright, and still no issues with it and it was originally an RRoD rebuild that I did without a reflow or reball.

• Like 1

RROD mostly occurs if you play "short" periods of time (get the console hot then stop playing), the main issue causing RROD is the slight warping of the motherboard caused by the somewhat rapid heat followed by cooling down along with the x-clamps which apply preasure to the board in a bad way...

Sent from my SM-G903F

RROD mostly occurs if you play "short" periods of time (get the console hot then stop playing), the main issue causing RROD is the slight warping of the motherboard caused by the somewhat rapid heat followed by cooling down along with the x-clamps which apply preasure to the board in a bad way...

Sent from my SM-G903F

So just leaving it on could potentially prevent and uneven board flex?

So just leaving it on could potentially prevent and uneven board flex?

Yes, it could... as it's then warm constantly and doesn't move as much

Sent from my SM-G903F

I would visually inspect the area, could be some residue on the rams or GPU die. Just blow the dust and clean the paste if there is nothing. You can also create a hack image or adjust fan speed % with respect to ram temperatures; meaning you set temp thresholds.

• Like 1

It is corona and xbox 360 slim. I've tried everything even changed thermal paste but still its goes upto 85°C while all others are below 60°C . The xbox now has started getting shut down automatically due to heat please suggest me what to do.

You will probably need to exchange the complete SoC in your Corona to fix the problem.

Buy a new console, replace the ram bricks, find and cut the temperature sensor trace for the ram bricks...

Sent from my SM-G903F

Would it be safe to cut the temperature sensor because i think it is due to a faulty temperature as the edram temperature should be near to the cpu temperature i.e 56°C

Would it be safe to cut the temperature sensor because i think it is due to a faulty temperature as the edram temperature should be near to the cpu temperature i.e 56°C

It's likely a faulty sensor in the ram or faulty ram bricks, the best solution is to replace them, that fixes either issue...

Sent from my SM-G903F

It's likely a faulty sensor in the ram or faulty ram bricks, the best solution is to replace them, that fixes either issue...

Sent from my SM-G903F

Please tell me where and how it is possible to get the ram bricks replaced are they available to purchase?

You need a BGA Rework station, if you know where to look you can probably find them, judging by your question(s) i doubt you know where to look, or have the experience required to get this done...

Simply put, get a new console and you have the problem solved...

Sent from my SM-G903F

You need a BGA Rework station, if you know where to look you can probably find them, judging by your question(s) i doubt you know where to look, or have the experience required to get this done...

Simply put, get a new console and you have the problem solved...

Sent from my SM-G903F

Would IC Reballing help?

Its the same.

I know that i am just asking would it benefit or not cause I've heard it doesn't last for long time after reballing

It is important that the person who perform the reballing, have a lot of experience with reballing. Otherwise, you can destroy a lot on your Motherboard. If the reballing is performed properly, your reballed 360  survives a long time.

• Like 2

It is important that the person who perform the reballing, have a lot of experience with reballing. Otherwise, you can destroy a lot on your Motherboard. If the reballing is performed properly, your reballed 360 survives a long time.

Thanks alot for your help

I had exactly the same problem.

My EDRAM temperature was shown as very high. Right after the start of the console.

And others were on normal levels.

The problem appeared because Microsoft used Pb solder for Xbox 360. After many heat->cool down cycles it collapses. And creates higher resistance on thermistors which measure temperature ( they work in a way - higher temperature - higher resistance). So the temperature was false high.

The solution is to solder resistors contacts ( to renew the structure of solder)  r4d3-r4d6. (side by side).

This will remove additional resistance and solve the problem.

Resistors.png

• Like 1

On 3/16/2020 at 3:13 PM, apadoctor said:

I had exactly the same problem.

My EDRAM temperature was shown as very high. Right after the start of the console.

And others were on normal levels.

The problem appeared because Microsoft used Pb solder for Xbox 360. After many heat->cool down cycles it collapses. And creates higher resistance on thermistors which measure temperature ( they work in a way - higher temperature - higher resistance). So the temperature was false high.

The solution is to solder resistors contacts ( to renew the structure of solder)  r4d3-r4d6. (side by side).

This will remove additional resistance and solve the problem.

Resistors.png

Hello, I had the same problem, a client's console after doing the RGH I noticed that the EDRAM temperature was very high over 71°c compared to the CPU and the GPU which was lower, after reading this post, I soldered those resistors (with new tin) and bang!! Ram temperature dropped to normal levels. Thanks for the information.

With a good clear photo can somebody please identify the location of the temperature sensor related resistors on a Winchester motherboard?