RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
Shuraim Ahmet

Laptop disk drive not reading dvd rw diskd

Hey Swizzy , for some reason my disk drive of my laptop is not reading dvd-rw but its reading all kinds of cd's and also dvd-r, I recently upgraded to win 10 and also tried reinstalling the drivers but to no avail. Can you figure out what could be wrong here?

Thanks.

Could it ever read DVD-RW medias ?

Determine the Type of your disc drive and check if it is DVD-RW compatible.

• Like 1

Could it ever read DVD-RW medias ?

Determine the Type of your disc drive and check if it is DVD-RW compatible.

Yes it can in fact it's the same disks I burned few months earlier on the same pc but it wouldn't read them and other dvd-rw anymore but reading anything else perfectly someone just told me that it's a sign that the drive is about to go out.

Yes it can in fact it's the same disks I burned few months earlier on the same pc but it wouldn't read them and other dvd-rw anymore but reading anything else perfectly someone just told me that it's a sign that the drive is about to go out.

would seem like your laser is going bad.. or, the RW is a cheap brand? but yeah all standard DVD drives, can read RW media, they just can't WRITE to it.. lol..

the only other thing i could think of, is type of media, as some people will think dvd-RAM disc is the same as dvd-r lol.. and other stuff.. but this prolly isnt the case with you..

but yeah, if you aren't having a problem reading any type of other disc, meaning no slow loading times or failure to load other types of discs, then you have to assume it is the RW disc that is faulty mate.. 

• Like 4

Most likely a media or laser problem... like felida mentioned

It's more common to be a laser problem if it stops reading say the full range of DVD's...

It could also be a Windows 10 issue, i haven't tried R/W discs in that yet...

If its a faulty Media, there some programs out in the wild, you can check the quality of your burned DVDs. In most cases you can see its a bad media, or your Laser is worn.

• Like 2

If its a faulty Media, there some programs out in the wild, you can check the quality of your burned DVDs. In most cases you can see its a bad media, or your Laser is worn.

Hey mate that's what VSO shows me upon inserting DVD-RW disc.

post-13230-0-53182100-1467217496_thumb.png

post-13230-0-14510700-1467218066_thumb.png

That means the laser isn't too happy...

Honestly tho, Laptop burners tend to be sucky suzy and aren't really made for quality burns, they're just there to "work" and will more often then not stop working after a while...

That means the laser isn't too happy...

Honestly tho, Laptop burners tend to be sucky suzy and aren't really made for quality burns, they're just there to "work" and will more often then not stop working after a while...

Yup U were right Swizzy and Other friends it was the laser issue I cleaned it up with alcohol and it's working again. Thanks guys.

• Like 3