RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
Alexis Martà nez Jover

I don't know how to instal Lubuntu in the HDD of my XBOX360

Sorry for my English, I'm hispanic. Well, I know how to instal Linux by a usb, on my XBOX 360 with RGH chip but I'd like to install Linux in the hard disk so that I don't have to use the pen drive or an external hard disk every time I wish to access the Linux, could you please tell me how to install Linux or Ubuntu or something similar in the hard disk of my XBOX 360 without loosing my possibility of playing games? (I have been searching the forums but I haven't found anything yet)

Thanks a lot to all.

I would think you would need to install it as you would Mupen.

Either put it on USB, DVD, or a secondary hard disc so that booting to it is optional, otherwise XeLL boots to primary hard drive almost always even without pressing eject on boot.

• Like 1

I don't think there is a Lubuntu for Xbox 360, there's a Ubuntu build somewhere, but... that's about it...

While Xell can read the HDD, you will need to format it with linux(ext2/3/4, swap), or fat32 partition, and then put the kernel elf at the root of the drive, if I remember correctly. this will make the hdd null and void for regular xbox 360 use, as that uses fatx partitions. I dont know why Xell, and LibXenon dont read fatx partitions, as I know there is native linux support for this, or at least for the original xbox.

• Like 2

While Xell can read the HDD, you will need to format it with linux(ext2/3/4, swap), or fat32 partition, and then put the kernel elf at the root of the drive, if I remember correctly. this will make the hdd null and void for regular xbox 360 use, as that uses fatx partitions. I dont know why Xell, and LibXenon dont read fatx partitions, as I know there is native linux support for this, or at least for the original xbox.

So I will have to make a partition of my HDD??? and format it to fat 32, isnt't it? will I damage my XBOX360 with RGH chip?, how could I do it? and how could I then install Linux in only that partition? do you know it? Thanks a lot for your response.

It's BigEndian stored FATX (XTAF), not LittleEndian FATX (like the original Xbox had)

Libxenon does (or used to atleast) have support for XTAF

Your best bet is to boot Linux from USB instead of the internal HDD, or even use a LIVE disk... linux does support that you know? ;)

You will NOT damage your RGH install or the chip by installing linux, you can't... Linux don't allow you to mess with the nand unless you specifically want to do so (by running a specific tool only available on the 360 editions, not sure if it's even available in the Ubuntu builds tux did...) that's the only way you can break that part...

No, you cannot just make a partition for the linux and leave the rest for the 360, it just won't allow that, sorry...