RealModScene
kevin1410

Cannot copy/move games from usb to xbox hdd (operation failed)

I have an RGH'ed Xbox 360 kinect 320 GB. I installed FSD3 because there was some errors intercepted on the last FSD (1.02) so updated it to 3. I downloaded some games for my xbox and can still copy extracted iso. I remember the last games that moved are Madagascar 3 and Prototype 2. That was transferred after I installed FSD3. But nowadays, I downloaded CODBO2 and Halo 4. I extracted them and it seems that I cannot copy nor move them to the HDD via usb. It shows "operation failed" after a few transfer of files. I wonder there is something wrong with my console. There are huge space left on the hdd so I do not suspect on the storage.

I extracted the ISOs via xbox360iso extract (latest). Seems fine after extraction. The only fails me is that the transfer operation. I only use "card reader with micro SD (8GB) in it". It operates like a USB dongle though.

regards,

^_^

The data is corrupt on the Hard Drive, well one of the files is corrupt at least and that stops the whole copy process.

Tho your Micro SD card could be dying too, those things die quicker after heavy usage, using it to copy games to and from a console would be considered as heavy usage.

You could

1) Try using FTP to copy/move stuff from 1 folder to another

2) xexloader to copy/move from 1 folder to another

3) try just using a normal USB pen

or

4) USB Hard Drive (This is what I use).

PS. thanks for providing as much info as you could, that helped B)

• Thanks 1

I have the same problem.

I tried FTP, xexloader and FSD.

After the operation failed, the internal HDD just gone!

If I try refresh, Xbox will notice something like this "Your system has error, reboot"

After press A, I Get a red light on controller 4.

I've downloaded the same game but from another source, same problem.

I will try move another game today.

• Like 1

I have the same problem.

If I try refresh, Xbox will notice something like this "Your system has error, reboot"

Sounds like the hard drive is not operating at full, make sure its plugged in right, if your using a custom hard drive, make sure its all wired right.

Try the hard drive in another console. If your getting operation failed then the hard drive disappears.. you know the fault :lol:

I will try the method 2 and 3 sir. I will post back if it works or not. Thanks for the fast response.

Any luck?

happy to see it worked!

i had this problem frequently with my Zephyr. long time ago, when would try transfering stuff like games by usb on my hard drive, it works for 1 game, and then the others gave me ''operation failed''.. so then, i shutdown my console, unplug it (just to be sure the hard drive is 100% unpowered, and when i plug it back BAM! i can transfer all the files even if its 20 games in a row!...

so what i'm saying, is that usually when it happens, there's a huge chance its not the console or jtag itself..its more likely to be usb or hard drive error, so easy to fix. top solution fast and easy is to either pull your usb stick out then back in, if its thru FTP, power off the xbox and unplug it for a couple of second, plug it back, power it and connect thru FTP, and then should work..usually! ..

i suggest you test your hard drive the way i will tell you to, so that way you will see if the problem will occur again, and you will also maybe save you the trouble of seeing your hard drive dying soon, and loosing everything on it!..

so here we go: i suggest you test the hard drive by putting a couple of games in your usb, then transfer 2 games, one by one, into the folder you keep your games in your hard drive, then shutdown the xbox. ..(.wait like 3 seconde..) then power it again, go delete the games you just transfered (or keep them on your hard drive if you didnt have them already in it lol) then transfer another 2 games, one by one,...do this process about 4 times and see if the problem you had occurs again! if not, well it was maybe just the usb dongle, or just a little phase of your hard drive... but if after doing this 4 times, if it happened again atleast once, theres a good chance your hard drive will be dying in a couple of month. but dosent mean it will at 100% !

But your not obligate to do it! its just if you want to be sure tour hard drives dosent have big problems.. but maybe someone else will have another explanation since theres planty of different problems that occurs in different situation for different reasons etc so its good to take all the help you find to be sure it dont happend to much! ;)

Hey,

Im having kinda the same problem with my xbox. Today, and a few times before, i tried to move a few games to my xbox and some of them say "Operation Failed". 

Its not a harddrive problem because the thing is brandnew, and works perfectly between laptop to laptop. 

I hope someone can help me because i really want to play those "failed" games. 

Xexmenu is lke a file manager for a modded console. It can do the basics like copy-pasting a file or executing a .xex file. I think I've had this kind of problem before. Try to rip again your game.

Same problem here, if i extrac games that have many files, i got this error, but if copy in GOD, work fine... FSD manager, xexmenu, xexloader, same error...

Yes i had same error with games with alot of files ( resident evil rev and dragon dogma ) they have like 20 to 40 k files  I tried everything  USB the installer in FSD3 even FTP it would go for a bit then i would get  opperation failed. I got a new HDD (2TB) and installed it internal .  I still had the issue . I converted the game to GOD and bam it transfered over to HDD no problems VIA IsoToGOD  Now sometimes i get unreadable disk errors  but theres no DVD in to give the error so i have no idea whats up anyone know how to fix that let me know. And is there any way of converting a game that was broken down from ISO to files (XBBC) back into a GOD file? I would hate to rip all my games again just to put them into GOD . As of now i have them all on the HDD in a file format with defalt .xex and 3 of them are in GOD format.

I got this from another site: 

I got the same problems and after a long time I figured out, that filenames containing commas "," are causing this problems.

Another character that brakes the operation is the "+"

ALso if the filenames are longer than 36 (without extension)

Figured this out by trying out.

Also renaming fies to more than this lenght results in an error.

batch copying failes as soon as a unsupported file is detected.

Copying over FTP / SMB results in succeeding the files that have correct names and skipping the others. That's how I figured out which chars didn't work.

If you copy through xexmenu it's exactly the same behavior but without showing an error.

FSD 3.0 DashLaunch 3.10 xexmenu 1.1, Dash 16530

Seems to be a bug or just need to be known.

Hope this helps - Cheers!

On ‎21‎/‎12‎/‎2012 at 11:38 AM, koreroger said:

I have the same problem.

I have EXACTLY the same problem. Is there any solution for this kind of problem?

On Thu Feb 23 2017 at 4:26 AM, bovian said:

I have EXACTLY the same problem. Is there any solution for this kind of problem?

The solution? There can be no special characters, meaning

no ,

no +

no '

Ect.

AND filenames can not be longer than 42 chars.. if you are having another error after you made those checks.. then it is probably your ftp client.. as some use a diff method to transfer stuff.. i personally use flashfxp.. 0 problems ever.. filezilla does have some problems..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, felida said:

The solution? There can be no special characters, meaning

no ,

no +

no '

Ect.

AND filenames can not be longer than 42 chars.. if you are having another error after you made those checks.. then it is probably your ftp client.. as some use a diff method to transfer stuff.. i personally use flashfxp.. 0 problems ever.. filezilla does have some problems..

I use filezilla and never had a problem, but i also use proper settings for the transfer (always binary, never ascii)

A little testimony. I always use flashfxp. Never had any issues until the Smurf 2 transfert by ftp. The log was fine. No errors. But every time i've played level 3 console shutdown. The solution was to use Passive mode transfert as it had difficulties with tiny files.

5 hours ago, Swizzy said:

I use filezilla and never had a problem, but i also use proper settings for the transfer (always binary, never ascii)

The issue i had, was when it would pause out randomly when transferring.. even gavin was having problems with filezilla and ftp..

16 hours ago, felida said:

The issue i had, was when it would pause out randomly when transferring.. even gavin was having problems with filezilla and ftp..

That tends to happen if you use too many simultaneous transfers, Aurora's FTP can't handle a endless amount of simultaneous transfers, i believe the maximum before it starts having issues is 4... anything beyond that is only going to slow it down anyways as the total maximum transfer speed is 100Mbit/s, with 4 connections each one will have approximately 2.5 - 3MB/s transfer (that's mega bytes)

17 hours ago, Swizzy said:

That tends to happen if you use too many simultaneous transfers, Aurora's FTP can't handle a endless amount of simultaneous transfers, i believe the maximum before it starts having issues is 4... anything beyond that is only going to slow it down anyways as the total maximum transfer speed is 100Mbit/s, with 4 connections each one will have approximately 2.5 - 3MB/s transfer (that's mega bytes)

I mean if it had to create a folder, a subfolder, ect. It would lag out or something.. vs FlashFXP.. havent tried others or messed with other options in filezilla.. just decided not to use it at all lol..

On 5/14/2013 at 3:19 AM, Lauo said:

Hey,

Im having kinda the same problem with my xbox. Today, and a few times before, i tried to move a few games to my xbox and some of them say "Operation Failed". 

Its not a harddrive problem because the thing is brandnew, and works perfectly between laptop to laptop. 

I hope someone can help me because i really want to play those "failed" games. 

I also having the same problem. I can transfer 30 games without problems except 1 game - Naruto. So i checked the filename in the folder and renamed some files so no special characters. I also delete 1 .TXT file which use Japanese font (if i'm not mistaken) as the filename.

However i can still play the game through the external. The problem only that I cannot copy to the XBox HDD which still have more than 40Gb free spaces. Anyone have the solution?