RealModScene
StaticPulse

[AURORA] Animated GIF image background support

This would be pretty cool and would expand the capabilities of skinners I think.

Should'nt consume too many resources.

Isn't there already some kind of animations available? i've seen some skins with animated backgrounds...

I believe they are transitions done when you build/edit the skin files in xuitool.

edit: you can actually see Felida make a frame transition in one of his vids. So I imagine if you have all the frames of the GIF, you could just plop them down frame by frame.

• Like 2

Isn't there already some kind of animations available? i've seen some skins with animated backgrounds...

I just figured it would be simpler to do from the end user level. Nice that people can do it with the with the XuiTool though. ^_^

I just figured it would be simpler to do from the end user level. Nice that people can do it with the with the XuiTool though. ^_^

Yeah, I hear what you're saying, it would be nice. But I don't think there's GIF support in the kernel.

Maybe Swizzy can correct me if i'm wrong, but I think you're limited to jpg, png, bmp and dds textures.

Yeah, I hear what you're saying, it would be nice. But I don't think there's GIF support in the kernel.

Maybe Swizzy can correct me if i'm wrong, but I think you're limited to jpg, png, bmp and dds textures.

Actually, the kernel doesn't have any of those formats either... it's all D3D in the kernel, there are some decoders available with the example framework etc. but we're using a custom one in Aurora

Actually, the kernel doesn't have any of those formats either... it's all D3D in the kernel, there are some decoders available with the example framework etc. but we're using a custom one in Aurora

That's interesting, I would have thought it came down to the codecs included in the kernel. I'll go bury my head in the sand now, lmao.

That's interesting, I would have thought it came down to the codecs included in the kernel. I'll go bury my head in the sand now, lmao.

Well, the kernel doesn't really have much interaction at all with these things, the dash supports various formats for the "Photo Viewer" or whatever it's called, but that's part of Dash.xex which doesn't run when you're in a game/homebrew app

The kernel mainly handle init of the hardware and communication there along with a bunch of things like filesystems etc. but, actual data formats are only handled in the games, most games won't use a png, jpg, bmp etc. they'll use custom formats anyways and store the actual pixel data instead

Well, the kernel doesn't really have much interaction at all with these things, the dash supports various formats for the "Photo Viewer" or whatever it's called, but that's part of Dash.xex which doesn't run when you're in a game/homebrew app

The kernel mainly handle init of the hardware and communication there along with a bunch of things like filesystems etc. but, actual data formats are only handled in the games, most games won't use a png, jpg, bmp etc. they'll use custom formats anyways and store the actual pixel data instead

Thanks, that makes sense. So adding GIF support to Aurora, if it's even possible, sounds like the only solution. 

I know Team Pheonix wants to keep Aurora as lean as possible, and GIF's use lot's of memory. So Probably out of the question. Kodi uses GIF's for backgrounds on some skins (AeonMQ7 alpha/beta), but these are reserved for higher end systems that can handle the hit without dragging the interface down to a crawl. Matter of fact, they're only recently coming out with support for libgif on 16+ beta builds.

• Like 1

Thanks, that makes sense. So adding GIF support to Aurora, if it's even possible, sounds like the only solution.

I know Team Pheonix wants to keep Aurora as lean as possible, and GIF's use lot's of memory. So Probably out of the question. Kodi uses GIF's for backgrounds on some skins (AeonMQ7 alpha/beta), but these are reserved for higher end systems that can handle the hit without dragging the interface down to a crawl. Matter of fact, they're only recently coming out with support for libgif on 16+ beta builds.

I agree.. as it is.. if you map every frame.. some still skip by.. as its alot for the xb to handle lol..