RealModScene
RickDangerous

Aurora and large game libraries

Hi fellas! :)
I started using my xbox again after a looong time and discovered aurora :)

I have a pretty large library, almost 3500 titles, most of them indie (~2500)
The thing is Aurora takes quite some time to load with all these titles, more than a minute, could be like 80-90 secs

And then switching category view tabs also takes quite some time, like 10 seconds or more
I mean when you change from Xbox360 to XBLA or Homebrew or any other category
It doesn't matter neither which category you're currently browsing nor the one you want to jump to, how big or small the list is in each category
You always get that big "lag"

These 2 issues, the initial startup loading time and the category view tab change lag, make using aurora.. well let's say unpleasant and not really functional
Imagine exiting a game and browsing for another etc, switch view tabs etc.
Could there be a solution to this?
Is there like a number of titles limit before these issues occur?

On a relative note, a few other questions
Is there a way to scan the xbla folder excluding the indie titles?
Could I export a list of the current category view somehow? This could help me if I decided to keep only my favorite indies for example and move/delete the rest

On a not so relative note :p, many indies don't get a cover. I mean many like 40%, is that natural?
And lastly is there a difference between the Homebrew and Applications scripts?

Yeah I know, many questions, sorry for that
I'd appreciate any help, suggestions or thoughts :)
Thank you! :)

PS. Aurora is great by the way! :)

Anything above 1000 titles makes it take quite a bit longer, the good thing with Aurora compared to FSD is that it doesn't crash, we've tried to optimize it to work as fast as possible with larger libraries, but it's not easy to deal with these HUGE ones

With 0.6b there will be possibilities of exporting titles as you'll have the ability to write "Utility Scripts" which means scripts that does something for you automatically

Regarding the Indie Covers, yes, it's pretty normal, if you search for the titles that don't have a cover on xboxunity you'll find it either don't exist on there (yet) or has no cover (more likely the first one) this is where all the covers are downloaded from, feel free to make covers and upload for the games that don't have one already

Yes, there's a difference between them, the Homebrew one searches for script data "Homebrew" while the Applications one search for "Applications"

Sadly, there's not a way to exclude Indie titles at this time when scanning, with 0.6b you'll have the ability to remove them once the scan has completed for instance...

Thanks for the reply guys :)

Swizzy yes I remember the agony and the pain with FSD when I was using it a couple of years back (and with much smaller library - no indies included)
I can't even begin to imagine FSD loading with that many titles :p
Aurora is a huge improvement compared to FSD, no doubt about that!

So for the solution looks like I have some work to do, removing a couple of thousand indie titles from my xbox, while I eagerly wait for the 0.6b release :p

There's an option to disable scanning when aurora starts up. Maybe that might help with loading times?

thanks for the suggestion :)

the loading times I've described are with that option disabled already
I don't think it matters really

I think someone else had a similar problem with large libraries. He had Aurora on his external hdd. If yours is on external, maybe try moving the installation to internal hdd.

Thanks for the suggestion QuattroGam3r :)
Aurora is in my internal hdd naturally, as all homebrew/apps, so this is not the case

How much is the startup loading time for a smaller library?
What should I expect for example for ~1000 titles? Can anyone share his results?

It seems that the sheer size of the library is the problem, but any other suggestions are welcome of course :)

My hdd is a wd 500GB scorpio blue, I've had it for 3 years maybe, not that much time I think
I don't know but I think I would have more problems if it were failing other than loading times
Insant start up with 500 titles is impressive, I get about ~13s with around 400 titles
Could someone else share his loading times, so I could see if I have some other problem with my setup or these are expected?

What I got from my readings
Number of Titles         Loading time
~400                             ~13s
~1250                           ~44s
~3450                           ~87s

I measure loading time, starting the moment the Aurora logo gets on screen and ending the moment aurora gets in browsing mode, showing the covers flow

I am now at ~1350 titles and get ~48s loading time.
It's still a lot but is a significant improvement compared to the ~87s I got originally
I would have to trim my library to 1000 maybe
It's a time consuming task :/

~850 titles: ~20s Aurora starting time

I have a 2TB internal Samsung ST2000LM003 M9T 2TB Sata III hard drive.

Have you tried disabling AutoScan for Title Updates and Paths in Content Scanning? This will speed up boot-times, and then you can just manually scan whenever you add content.

Have you tried disabling AutoScan for Title Updates and Paths in Content Scanning? This will speed up boot-times, and then you can just manually scan whenever you add content.

In my case both options are disabled. I cannot even think how long have it taken if these options were enabled.

At the end I think I can survive. Aurora is a very nice step in the right direction after FSD3. I am very grateful with the dedicated team that is behind its development because even after so many years the XB360 is still going strong thanks in part to people like them.

Thanks for the suggestion. Of course they are disabled.

I'm currently getting ~44s for ~1300 titles

I have an internal 500GB HDD and an external 2TB if that matters

In my case both options are disabled. I cannot even think how long have it taken if these options were enabled.

At the end I think I can survive. Aurora is a very nice step in the right direction after FSD3. I am very grateful with the dedicated team that is behind its development because even after so many years the XB360 is still going strong thanks in part to people like them.

Thorz you have very good boot times. I only wish I had 20s booting time for Aurora.

Because the xbox dash itself takes quite some time to load as well..

Perhaps if I had only a big internal 2TB drive and no external HDD like you it would be better for me too, but who knows...