RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
mossman70

RGH Booting to Xell Reloaded on its own

Hi all,

Just wondered if you folks could help me out please?

I've dusted off my RGH Xbox as it hasn't been used for ages and recently upgraded to the 17489 dash, done away with FSD and solely use the excellent Aurora for my dashboard.

I don't have any DVD installed (this broke ages ago) so I FTP my games to the internal Xbox hard drive and this works a treat via Aurora.

As I had no drive installed I had the 'always ejecting' status on the Xbox with the centre controller light flashing but as I've decided to start using the Xbox again I've bridged the DVD drive pins 4 and 6 which has stopped the flashing and always open status.

My problem now is that after I switch the Xbox off about 2 or 3 minutes later it'll boot up on it's own straight into Xell Reloaded which I presume is something related to the eject button as this is the default setting for Xell to be loaded??

I do remember a few years ago that some software I used for building the nand (can't recall which one) had an option for no DVD installed which I presume would stop my current error?

I would be most grateful if you could steer me in the right direction to get this sorted?

Many thanks :thumbup:

Probably yes, the software you're talking about is xeBuild

Cheers Swizzy,

It will have been xeBuild but it was encased around a GUI but cannot recall what it was!!

Is there an option in your xeBuild GUI 2.097 for no dvd to be added to the bin file pal?

Thanks

Scratch that Swizzy,

Think I found it on your GUI, I wasn't using advanced mode then on xeBuild settings theres an option for nodvd, I presume I just alter this from false to true?

Cheers

Scratch that Swizzy,

Think I found it on your GUI, I wasn't using advanced mode then on xeBuild settings theres an option for nodvd, I presume I just alter this from false to true?

Cheers

Yep :)

Swizzy,

Altered the 'nodvd' to true and installed the updflash with your Simple 360 nand flasher but it still booted to Xell Reloaded after it had ben switched off for a couple of minutes.

I then had a look round in the loft and found an old dvd drive, installed the correct dvd key, re-did the image, installed it but it still boots to Xell by itself after a couple of minutes being switched off. When I finish playing on the Xbox I unplug so it doesn't boot to Xell which is no problems but I would really like to get it sorted.

The Xbox runs like normal during game play and with Aurora no issues at all.......

Anyone any ideas what I'm missing?

Thanks

You may have damaged some components near the eject thingy on the DVD header, perhaps check them and see if one of them appears to be broken?

Thanks for the reply pal,

I'll have a look but I hadn't fiddled about with the insides when I first upgraded from the 17349 dash to 17489. I had no issues running 17349 and Xell didn't boot up on its own. I then upgraded to the 17489 without opening anything on the Xbox and this is when I started with this funny issue ????

Maybe a downgrade back to 17349 but we're playing the Rise of the Tomb Raider and I believe that the lastest TU requires the lastest dash?

Thanks

Here is an easyish fix, in the advanced mode of xebuild, change the xell boot button to the ir remote on. then if it reboots, it will at least reboot back into aurora. Am also curious how you did the upgade?(Hardware flasher, Xell, updserv). I would suggest updserv, as it will do everything for you, and is super easy, but if you created the image, and there was a bad block in the smc area, I could see this happening also. SMC handles button(Power/Eject) presses, among other thing. Just a thought.

• Like 1

Here is an easyish fix, in the advanced mode of xebuild, change the xell boot button to the ir remote on. then if it reboots, it will at least reboot back into aurora. Am also curious how you did the upgade?(Hardware flasher, Xell, updserv). I would suggest updserv, as it will do everything for you, and is super easy, but if you created the image, and there was a bad block in the smc area, I could see this happening also. SMC handles button(Power/Eject) presses, among other thing. Just a thought.

There really can never be a badblock in the SMC area... that's stored in block 0 which can NEVER be bad, well it could... but the console wouldn't be able to boot if that was bad ;)

There really can never be a badblock in the SMC area... that's stored in block 0 which can NEVER be bad, well it could... but the console wouldn't be able to boot if that was bad ;)

Good to know.

Thanks for the replies guys......gavin I always dump my nand at least 6 times (anal I know) then cross check each one for bad blocks and before the 17489 there were none, I then used Xebuild GUI to create the image but always leave the default xell loading as eject button, all the usual dashlaunch settings and then simple nand flasher to upgrade, always no issues with loading FSD or now Aurora and everything runs super smoothly, I'm gonna try the default xell to ir remote as ya said and keep ya posted......ey happy new year to ya all very shortly !!

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

Once you get it fixed, I would look into the updserv update option, as it is a matter of clicking a button on the computer, or typing a command, and it will update the dash, and install the new avatar data, and you wont have issues like this.

• Like 1

Once you get it fixed, I would look into the updserv update option, as it is a matter of clicking a button on the computer, or typing a command, and it will update the dash, and install the new avatar data, and you wont have issues like this.

Similar issues will still happen depending on what the cause is, if you never used any specific settings for your console, it won't make a blind bit of difference if you use the manual route or the updserv route, however if you at one point used some additional patches those will be automatically used again when using updserv but not while using the manual method (unless manually specified by the user at buildtime) the nand building engine is the same, the nand flasher uses pretty much the same methods aswell, the manual method is slightly safer as YOU are in control of everything that's happening

Thanks for the replies, never used the updserv to update tbh but this could just be me being a bit OCD and liking control over what I do (as Swizzy said!) plus I've always done it manually ever since my first JTAG a few years ago and perhaps a bit of ignorance on my part to try new procedures lol

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk