RealModScene
saywaking

[Unity|Aurora] Xbox Unity, the new Cloud

Hello fellow Gamers,

today i encountered with some "Profile Problems". Now i want to make a suggestion which may lead to solve many Problems.

We all have Profiles with gamesaves. Many of us even have several Profiles but also several Xbox Devices. These Xbox Devices often have the same Xbox Unity Account and same Content.

We often want to use the same Profiles because of the Gamesaves, so we want to continue playing the games we played somewhere else before, without copying the Gamesave and without copying anything.

My idea is to have a Cloud, which is already there. Xbox Unity. We get our Covers and TUs from there, we have our Friends List and with NOVA, we will be able to have Chats and Messages with them.

Now this Service could need an Extension. Profile Saving into Clouds.

We would be able to save our profiles into our Unity Account and load them when needed. We could have one place for gamesaves.

This idea is already there. Xbox Live provides exactly this service and i really like the idea, which was really needed by me in the last days.

I think this would really connect Aurora Users more with Unity. And with the upcoming Profile Management Features from Aurora 0.6b, it fills this gap of Cloud Profiles.

Now this encounters us with several Problems: Safety, More Data Transfer, Cloud Memory, Host, Speed, Load Balancing etc.

I don't know a solution for this, i dont know if this is possible. But i hope it will be discussed at least.

Thank you for reading.

• Like 3

Possible, most definatly..... probable, who knows. From what I know, Microsoft uses a key in your profile to link it with your account. The only feasable way I can see to do this would be to enable uploading profiles to unity, and to have them link them to a specific unity account. I think this would be a better feature to add to nova, which will be handling all authentication with Unity, then when you log in, it will check for your profile, and sync it with unity if it changes in any way. Only problem is, that you would need 2 copys of your profile on each xbox, the one downloaded from unity, and the one that was modified from the game you just unlocked an achievment on, so it can compare them, and upload the most recent to unity. The only other problem with this idea I can think of, is if multiple people are using the same account on multiple machines.

Personally, If I were going to make a suggestion, A homebrew marketplace would be nice. A place like the xbox live store, where you can download the latest themes, aurora trainers, homebrew, Utility Scripts, Aurora Plugins, and an option to automatically update these items(as updates appear). The other thing I was thinking would be nice, an optional media center plugin for aurora. mainly a dll file with the code to play audio and video formats the xbox doesnt nativly support, and a media tab replacement for the hud, so you can take advantage of it while in game. This wouldnt apply to movies, which it would take you back to aurora to play.

• Like 4

Yes, without limitations we would encounter many problems. For me this would be more a backup feature besides all the other features it would bring. I would like to be able to manage my profiles in one place. I would like to upload profiles and gamesaves (selected ones) and when im somewhere else or on a physically another xbox but with the same unity profile because i have several devices like for the living room or building B, then i would like to continue the same place or just pick the profile i want or i need. I really like the idea and this would be a thing no one thought it would be homebrew. Actually Aurora is the replacement we want and this is something i miss, but the first steps in profile management will come with the next Aurora.

Personally, If I were going to make a suggestion, A homebrew marketplace would be nice. A place like the xbox live store, where you can download the latest themes, aurora trainers, homebrew, Utility Scripts, Aurora Plugins, and an option to automatically update these items(as updates appear). The other thing I was thinking would be nice, an optional media center plugin for aurora. mainly a dll file with the code to play audio and video formats the xbox doesnt nativly support, and a media tab replacement for the hud, so you can take advantage of it while in game. This wouldnt apply to movies, which it would take you back to aurora to play.

Yeah, step by step. I already had the idea and still have the vision. But i know how reactions are. And i think there is the right direction. Challenging suggestions are needed. Like this one for fun.

I don't think we'll ever add Cloud uploads to unity, however... there is then possibility of using other services perhaps such as Dropbox, Google Drive, One Drive etc. Unity is already now under high pressure from everything we're doing on it, you want to add even more to that? this would kill LiNK quickly ;) unlike microsoft we only have 1 server... (microsoft have a whole data center dedicated for Xbox LIVE)

I honestly don't think we'll actually implement any of that tho, as it's quite the challenge to get everything up 'n' running with auth here and there, aswell as the whole challenge of knowing when to sync up or down... plus the part where you can have the same profile on multiple consoles at the same time doing different things, this would mean the profiles would have to be patched up if changes occurs on multiple consoles or a decision has to be made as to which version to keep...

As far as Media Playback goes, there might be some things like that down the road, it all depends on motivation and time... time is a HUGE factor here... porting codecs to PPC64 isn't easy, especially when it needs to have high performance on a machine with low memory space (consider the fact that most computers today have more then 512mb ram, and not even all of that is available to us on the 360!)

There are plans of implementing a few Repositories for Aurora specific stuff, mainly Utility Scripts, Filters, Sorts, Subtitles etc. aswell as skins... infact, i've been working on that during the development of Aurora 0.6b

This is a great thread, I'm loving some of the ideas being presented.  Cloud saves over google drive would be AWESOME!  What are your thoughts on allowing users to install link/unity hubs on their own PC/server? It could take the pressure off of having a singular server handling all of the traffic.  I'm sure that adds a lot of complexity to the setup that may make it not worthwhile right there.

• Like 3

Mainly this thread is for discussion the idea. I knew unity wouldn't be the Host for this, but like @Swizzy said there is only that. Therefore i consider about supporting specific Hosts like Dropbox or something. Aurora would have to have a Downloader. I don't know yet but i think it could be a very nice feature and a very nice challenge.

PS: The raspberry also has 512mb. Anyhow i could need the source for FFPlay and xmplayer.

Mainly this thread is for discussion the idea. I knew unity wouldn't be the Host for this, but like @Swizzy said there is only that. Therefore i consider about supporting specific Hosts like Dropbox or something. Aurora would have to have a Downloader. I don't know yet but i think it could be a very nice feature and a very nice challenge.

PS: The raspberry also has 512mb. Anyhow i could need the source for FFPlay and xmplayer.

XMPlayer is available here: https://github.com/LibXenonProject/xmplayer

Keep in mind, this isn't using the same architecture as XDK, with Libxenon you have alot more ram available (the kernel doesn't steal it from you) Yes, raspberry Pi have 512, but... you can utilize it and also more since it's running Linux (you can use part of the SD Card as Swap, something you cannot do on Xbox 360, also... Raspberry Pi uses Linux, not DirectX 9.0 (or whatever version is actually available on Xbox 360) they're very different... ;)

XMPlayer is available here: https://github.com/LibXenonProject/xmplayer

Keep in mind, this isn't using the same architecture as XDK, with Libxenon you have alot more ram available (the kernel doesn't steal it from you) Yes, raspberry Pi have 512, but... you can utilize it and also more since it's running Linux (you can use part of the SD Card as Swap, something you cannot do on Xbox 360, also... Raspberry Pi uses Linux, not DirectX 9.0 (or whatever version is actually available on Xbox 360) they're very different... ;)

I dont know much about programming on the 360, but couldnt you write in a swap sort of thing into the codecs directly, so instead of using ram on the system, it substitues that for hdd space? Just a thought, I know swap is handled by the kernel in most cases, but I can see no reason whay an app in userspace couldnt have its own private swap space.

• Like 1

I dont know much about programming on the 360, but couldnt you write in a swap sort of thing into the codecs directly, so instead of using ram on the system, it substitues that for hdd space? Just a thought, I know swap is handled by the kernel in most cases, but I can see no reason whay an app in userspace couldnt have its own private swap space.

It would be possible yes, in that case it's referred to as "cache" :p

The biggest obstacle is the fact that Xbox 360 is PPC64 and BigEndian, afaik most formats are stored in LittleEndian, so every frame has to be byteswapped etc. which means it's going to be doing alot more then you'd normally do (in windows for instance, you don't have to worry about that and just use it as-is)

I don't think we'll ever add Cloud uploads to unity, however... there is then possibility of using other services perhaps such as Dropbox, Google Drive, One Drive etc. Unity is already now under high pressure from everything we're doing on it, you want to add even more to that? this would kill LiNK quickly ;) unlike microsoft we only have 1 server... (microsoft have a whole data center dedicated for Xbox LIVE)

What about a plugin to utilize Mega for this? Like have the content encrypted and when users connect they would exchange a public key that would be asymmetric linked to their unity account?

What about a plugin to utilize Mega for this? Like have the content encrypted and when users connect they would exchange a public key that would be asymmetric linked to their unity account?

Does MEGA have a well documented API? if so, it might be possible... if not; it's not something anyone will likely do...

Well, it's not like Mega's still owned by Kim.org or whatever his name is. But it's anyone's guess if the new owners are collecting data like Kim claimed. Personally I think he was crying wolf.

I think it's a very good idea. There is a lot of unofficial apps in the smartphones' stores. Why not a plugin??

I prefer dropbox.