RealModScene
StaticPulse

Original Xbox XDK Beta 2 Prototype?

Just a thought Static, but the dev kits may not need a locked hdd because of the need for teams to swap hdds. Maybe taking a donor hdd from a known working Xbox could yield results in getting it to boot.

BTW, did you have a xboxdash.xbe in your hdd when you tried to boot it? I believe it goes in C: root

It would still have to be an unlocked drive though. The locking is a form of encryption and without the key it'd be gibberish. Since the devkit needs no such key does for its own drive that wouldn't mean that it can read an encrypted volume. An easy enough fix though.

Have you tried running SlaYer's/Superdisc on a different console? I mean, with the HDD intended for the devkit installed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will try that this evening, gotta eat some food first as I just now got off work. That's a really good idea though.

It would still have to be an unlocked drive though. The locking is a form of encryption and without the key it'd be gibberish. Since the devkit needs no such key does for its own drive that wouldn't mean that it can read an encrypted volume. An easy enough fix though.

I will try that this evening, gotta eat some food first as I just now got off work. That's a really good idea though.

Superdisc don't lock the disk unless you tell it to ;)

Superdisc don't lock the disk unless you tell it to ;)

unlock legit drive on modded console with superdisc and EEPROM decryption key then try it in the devkit?

unlock legit drive on modded console with superdisc and EEPROM decryption key then try it in the devkit?

That'd be one way, another would be to hot swap once you boot on modded console, then setup the drive either through super disc or chimp, etc.

Well.... I did manage to mount the partitioned drive in 360 explorer and copy over the retail dashboard; however, it still will not boot to it. I'm now in the process of looking for a *.bin extractor so that I can copy over the devkit dash from the recovery iso file that I extracted with xiso and extract the *.bin file that it is out of the iso and maybe copy that over instead.... (MagicISO failed to read the recdata.bin file T_T) That bin file is 189MB large, much larger than the retail dash so there may be some stuff in it that the BIOS is looking for. Xplorer360 refuses to mount the recdata.bin file as well.

If this doesnt work then I guess I'll have to build a pin header extension for the cable for its stock pin header or build a new pin header and fit it with old PC jumper pins so that I don't have to remove the stock pin header in order to get the modchip correctly fitted. If that doesnt work then I'll explore the bios hack and see if maybe I can switch the bios and hopefully get a POST.

I'll take some pics of my work or make a video of my progress.

lol on a lighter note, I did manage to repair a retail console and softmod it with evoX so I have an okay understanding of what to do from that area. I'm thinking I have two options once I do get it working again: A. split the TSOP and put a modded BIOS on it to compliment the Devkit bios or B. put the modded BIOS on to the modchip itself. From what I gather from the guys who have helped me out so far, option B. is the safest. I'll keep hunting around for a method to dump the TSOP because if the TSOP is faulty then it might be a good idea to back it up and just replace the TSOP from one from a 1.0 board and flash it with the devkit BIOS.

I would go with the bios on the mod chip personally, that way your TSOP is left alone. Remember though, you're not going to get Slayer's, super disc, hexen, etc. to run until you have either modded the TSOP or installed the mod chip. That's the whole point of modding it, to run copied discs and unsigned code.

edit: BTW, I think I have an extra bank switch left over from my X3 chip. Didn't need it cause I use the X3CP. Let me know if you need it. 

edit2: maybe not, looks like the original used a ribbon cable to some board with a parallel port (i assume for programming) and bank switches.

x2-pro2.jpg

• Like 2

I would go with the bios on the mod chip personally, that way your TSOP is left alone. Remember though, you're not going to get Slayer's, super disc, hexen, etc. to run until you have either modded the TSOP or installed the mod chip. That's the whole point of modding it, to run copied discs and unsigned code.

edit: BTW, I think I have an extra bank switch left over from my X3 chip. Didn't need it cause I use the X3CP. Let me know if you need it. 

edit2: maybe not, looks like the original used a ribbon cable to some board with a parallel port (i assume for programming) and bank switches.

x2-pro2.jpg

lol thats the other half of the hardware that I need for this chip, I'll just have to check modchipcentral to see if they still carry it. =\ Hey, if I can still locate XenoGC chips, I shouldn't have a problem finding this stuff.

Also, If I'm using BIOS from modchip won't I have to use a custom one built for 128MB systems?

Also, If I'm using BIOS from modchip won't I have to use a custom one built for 128MB systems?

It's a little out of my realm of experience, But I thought I read about 128MB being usable with the right Bios (5035, IND, etc.). You may also need the correct dash to be able to take advantage of it. I think XBMC v3.3+ takes care of this. To be honest, I would just google "128MB xbox upgrade" and get as much info as you can. Maybe someone else can tell you for sure, but I can't without researching it first.

I don't think it matters so much where the bios is, TSOP or Chip, as long as it supports the 128MB mem chip.

It's a little out of my realm of experience, But I thought I read about 128MB being usable with the right Bios (5035, IND, etc.). You may also need the correct dash to be able to take advantage of it. I think XBMC v3.3+ takes care of this. To be honest, I would just google "128MB xbox upgrade" and get as much info as you can. Maybe someone else can tell you for sure, but I can't without researching it first.

I don't think it matters so much where the bios is, TSOP or Chip, as long as it supports the 128MB mem chip.

Now that I've gotten some stuff taken care of (SR5T Short Air RAM intake, PTC nipple, vacuum lines replaced, and seafoam treatment to my Volvo 850R) as well as a 5 server VM install for a buddy (Solaris, WIndows Server 2012, FreeBSD, RHEL 7, CentOS) I can now get back to this project. I'll begin mapping out the pin header adapter in about 30 minutes or so from now. Just want to get a cup of tea and give my buddy a call so he can pick up his rig and get paid.

***EDIT***

No dice on the modchip by itself, I'm going to try grounding D0 as Swizzy suggested.

***2ND EDIT***

I grounded D0 on the bottom of the board and still nothing so it's not the BIOS apparantly.....

So I guess now I go on to the TSOP mod or is there anything I may have overlooked?

If it refuse to boot with the chip active (you must have a bios on it for v1.0 tho, or it won't work) there's another problem somewhere such as a missing/broken component, scan the board for damaged components...

Sent from my SM-G903F

If it refuse to boot with the chip active (you must have a bios on it for v1.0 tho, or it won't work) there's another problem somewhere such as a missing/broken component, scan the board for damaged components...

Sent from my SM-G903F

Well, until I get a programmer and ribbon cable for the chip I'm dead in the water from that angle. I'll scan the board some more and look for damaged parts. I did pull the Time clock capacitor off though which shouldnt be an issue. I'll take a closer look at the caps on the board and make sure none are bloated/dry/blown.

So it's been awhile since I touched up on this and no, I haven't given up. I just had a crazy amount of work at my job with these mandatory six day weeks we were given the last month and a half along with completely redoing the suspension on my car (Controller arms, Tie Rods, End Links, Shocks, Struts, Coils, Strut mounts, shock mounts, bump stops, strut bearings, Drivers Side CV Axle, Drivers side front wheel hub bearing and a crapload more stuff...) Still not done yet either, Body kit and replacement drivers side fender comes next before I even install the new non-melted inner fender liners to keep my timing belt safe and my lovely 850 R will be practically brand new!

Since I am a poor and lowly warehouse worker who drives a stockpicker and a forklift (No, even with CCNA CCNA Security it's still about impossible to get the wonder IT job that I want) Paying for this shit doesn't come cheap. Or the test equipment that I need to check the board on this Xbox classic XDK Beta 2 prototype. 

I've decided to check all the components and replace any that fail. Doing this blindly is ludicrous, So I went and bought a Mastech MS8910 SMD autoscan tool. I am aware I'll have to desolder some components off the board in checking them and I'll be replacing my solder station over at Fry's when I get some more money.

I also purchased a Mastech MS6514 USB Dual channel thermometer K/J/T/R/S/E/N thermocouple for use with a homebrew reflow station that I made out of a presto griddle and my W.E.P. 858D hot air reflow station.  I still need to find something I can use for an arm and I think a c clamp to hold the damned thing in place so I can do raised board unflexing and reflows.

I'm not just getting all this stuff for this project, but for all those consoles that I have piling up in the garage (Over 20 ps3's, 15 phats, 4 slims, 28 xbox classics) It's truly becoming a pile of shit and I really just want to fix them all.

So, solder station, arm and clamp for elevated hot reflow station and I should be good to go. I already have the 4545W SMD reflow nozzle, one that will fit memory chips (1919,) and three pen fittings. Then theres the liquid flux colophane that I got at Fry's for 9 bucks.

• Like 2

So I wanna say thank you once again to Sladezdragonz for hooking me up with some more stuff to get this project on theright track.

I think I have all the stuff I need to just outright bypass the bios now yeah?

Got my Mastech SMD tester in the mail yesterday and now I'm just waiting on that digital thermocouple and I still need to replace my solder station and I can pick up where I left off.

post-56760-0-76561400-1468812378_thumb.jpg

post-56760-0-03902400-1468812393_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Indeed, that chip should allow you to bypass the onboard bios :)

Sent from my SM-G903F

Indeed, that chip should allow you to bypass the onboard bios :)

Sent from my SM-G903F

I see, well, kinda, I found an Xecuter guide on how to install most of this stuff  http://team-xecuter.com/x3/tutorials/x3pin16.htm but there are some dead links because of how old it is. Maybe I can get lucky and use the internet way back machine for the original information on it. I want to make sure I have all the components and if I'm missing any wires and whatnot to either replace or rebuild them.

I won't be installing this until I go over the board and fix // replace anything that's bad on it. I don't know how long the devkit sat in that dumpster for but I am going to give it a new lease on life!

• Like 1

I uploaded a pack with all of my X3 goodies in it. It's on here somewhere, if you can't find it, HMU and I'll send it to you Static.

• Like 2

I uploaded a pack with all of my X3 goodies in it. It's on here somewhere, if you can't find it, HMU and I'll send it to you Static.

Thanks man! We still need to chill for a couple of beers one of these days. I just upgraded my vape too! Fuchai 200watt with a Mad Hatter Mini ^_^

• Like 2

Thanks man! We still need to chill for a couple of beers one of these days. I just upgraded my vape too! Fuchai 200watt with a Mad Hatter Mini ^_^

No doubt, maybe one of these weekends.

I skipped the Fuchai and grabbed a Sigelei 150w. Quad coils though.

• Like 1

No doubt, maybe one of these weekends.

I skipped the Fuchai and grabbed a Sigelei 150w. Quad coils though.

Hows that quad working out for you? This one is alright but I won't push my juice past 50watts with the dual coil drip tank.

The x3 displays green and red on boot...  Any way I can reflash it? It could also be my solder job as I used a weller pyropen that runs on butane until I get my solder station replaced.

Not the best of irons, I mainly use it for doing electrical work on my car or outdoors.

Yes, you can reflash the X3, It has been a while since I have messed with original xbox mod chips, as I switched to TSOP/Softmods about the time the OG xbox lost live support, but if I remember correctly, you need a hardware flasher for it. then again that might be one of the chips with a failsafe bios, that lets you flash a new bios from a burnt cd.

• Like 1

Yes, you can reflash the X3, It has been a while since I have messed with original xbox mod chips, as I switched to TSOP/Softmods about the time the OG xbox lost live support, but if I remember correctly, you need a hardware flasher for it. then again that might be one of the chips with a failsafe bios, that lets you flash a new bios from a burnt cd.

I still have to finish reading these pdf's that quattro gave me but it looks like I'll have to put on on a compatible disc. Hey the most that will cost if it fails is a blank CDR so I'm okay with that.

I still have to finish reading these pdf's that quattro gave me but it looks like I'll have to put on on a compatible disc. Hey the most that will cost if it fails is a blank CDR so I'm okay with that.

Try CD-RW, if I remember correctly they are more likely to work.