RealModScene
StaticPulse

Original Xbox XDK Beta 2 Prototype?

Well, I did some light research on this... And unfortunately I can't find any way to back up the TSOP. I thought you could using a homebrew app (you can at least back up the eeprom this way), but it appears that there are only flashing utilities and no dumping utilities. As for a hardware method to dump it... Well, back then there wasn't much of a reason for retail users to dump their own bios, so no solutions like NAND-X or SD tool QSBs were ever developed. The only hardware way I can think of is removing the chip and connecting it to a reader/programmer. I think it would be very difficult to pull off.

On the other hand, there's good news about having a v1.0. It's the exact same as a v1.1 except for the USB daughterboard (the board the controller ports plug into; later revisions removed this). The feature you probably would be most interested in is, your motherboard has a 1024k flash. Since Xbox bioses are typically 256k, they "extend" the bios with four copies of the same 256k bios, thus creating a 1024k flash image.

This is a beautiful thing for modders-- you can actually install a switch (or two) to split the TSOP into two banks of 512k (or four banks of 256k). On a retail Xbox, this means no need for a modchip. On your debug, your situation will require one initially. If you can find a good devkit bios that is safe to flash to the TSOP, then you can also pull off a multi bank mod.

If you're interested in this later down the road, it would require two solder bridges (to disable write protect), 2-4 wires and 1-2 SPDT switches.

EDIT: if you imagine your TSOP is a four 256k bank chip, it's possible the first bank got corrupt somehow... It doesn't boot, right? In that case, installing switches can allow you to test the other three banks. If bios corruption is the reason for no boot, then switching to another (hopefully non corrupt) bank could save the day... Just an idea to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now THAT is definitely something to look into. I'll research this further and post an update  when I get more information on the matter. four copies. lol and I thought I was being redundant. lawlz. That's the best news I've heard on this so far. I'll definitely check it out THANKS A LOT MAN!!!!

As far as dumping the TSOP the only thing I can think of to do it with would be something like this... (Theory only)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/24CXX-24LCXX-Programmer-EEPROM-Reader-Writer-24C02-SOP-to-DIP-Block-USB-Port-/111871677709?hash=item1a0c12550d:g:53oAAOSwLN5Wk4F3

Now THAT is definitely something to look into. I'll research this further and post an update  when I get more information on the matter. four copies. lol and I thought I was being redundant. lawlz. That's the best news I've heard on this so far. I'll definitely check it out THANKS A LOT MAN!!!!

I think he might be referring to something like this... http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/multibios-tsop.php Looks like they use two SPST's though.

edit: Only reason I linked this one is because it sounded like a legit way to test all your bioses.

• Like 2

No problem. Glad to hear I explained it well enough (I was having trouble finding the best way to describe it, lol).

If you give me a few minutes I'll edit my post with a link to a TSOP tutorial. Not for the sake of flashing, but more for the sake of accessing those other banks. I know of an old guide written by Tizz from Llamma... But actually I think his switch diagram was wrong lol. Definitely should try the 1 switch (2 512k bank) method first.

EDIT: Yes, QuattroGam3r is right-- I'm definitely referring to something like that. I do know for certain I used two SPDT switches for mine, however I cant find that guide anymore. I did find this one, which is similar to the one QuattroGam3r mentioned. This one uses an SPDT switch and splits the TSOP into two banks:

http://xbox-scene.com/articles/tsop-live-1mb.php

If I can find the 4-way method using SPDT switches, I'll give it a post. Alternatively, if you're really dying for the 4-way method, I can see about posting images of my slimbox (xbox slimmed down w/o dvd drive) that I performed this mod on. 

• Like 2

I think he might be referring to something like this... http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/multibios-tsop.php Looks like they use two SPST's though.

edit: Only reason I linked this one is because it sounded like a legit way to test all your bioses.

Thanks a lot for the input man, really anything at this point helps. I would like to test all the bioses as I'm pretty sure that might be my issue, the only other thing I'm concerned with is the fail boot where the sound distorts.

No problem. Glad to hear I explained it well enough (I was having trouble finding the best way to describe it, lol).

If you give me a few minutes I'll edit my post with a link to a TSOP tutorial. Not for the sake of flashing, but more for the sake of accessing those other banks. I know of an old guide written by Tizz from Llamma... But actually I think his switch diagram was wrong lol. Definitely should try the 1 switch (2 512k bank) method first.

EDIT: Yes, QuattroGam3r is right-- I'm definitely referring to something like that. I do know for certain I used two SPDT switches for mine, however I cant find that guide anymore. I did find this one, which is similar to the one QuattroGam3r mentioned. This one uses an SPDT switch and splits the TSOP into two banks:

http://xbox-scene.com/articles/tsop-live-1mb.php

If I can find the 4-way method using SPDT switches, I'll give it a post. Alternatively, if you're really dying for the 4-way method, I can see about posting images of my slimbox (xbox slimmed down w/o dvd drive) that I performed this mod on. 

Thanks a lot for the TuT, I do think that the 4-way method would most likely be best though since I can at least check them all this way and maybe if I ever do find a way to back them up I can write over the corrupted one if one is corrupted. That or use it as the flash space for the modded bios? SPDT switch wiring is pretty cut and dry so by looking at your solder points I could probably figure it out with no major issues. That and thats 4 chances instead of two of this working right? I never knew M$ had the forsight to implement redundancy like that and its a very pleasant surprise.\

****EDIT****

So I'm reading the "Making TSOP split four ways" TuT and I'm halfway through it and from what I gather the points that they're referring to soldering is the same point I did the Coma Console fix correct?  In this case I soldered C6R3 at point A19 bridging it with a small wire. So in effect the Coma Console fix just directs the POST to boot to a different TSOP copy correct?

***EDIT (again...) ***

Nevermind, I soldered R7R2 to A18, not  C6R3 to A19...

If what I gather is true then this means one of my TSOP's is definitly corrupted causing the black screen boot, and this second one hangs at the splash screen. Or am I wrong in assuming that the patch point I used is not addressing a different bios to load?

That sucks....   =\ It does seem like it can be fixed though and as long as the TSOP chip itself isnt physically damaged then if I find one copy of the bios that fully works, I might want to look into this potential method of dumping the bios found at this link http://www.theisozone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=53419

I'll keep researching it and reading up on it as much as I can before I do anything and I think the 4-way split is definitely the best method for recovering the stock BIOS. If all else fails, would just scavenging a donor TSOP from another 1.0 console with my rework station should work for this devkit, or was the BIOS on dev vs retail 1.0 different? Seems to me  that the only difference in the BIOS would be the extra memory addressing but from what I've read I can get the custom BIOS for the memory hacked units and it should work right? After all, the BIOS is only to process the system POST, nothing software related on recovery disc should matter and once I can get it to boot to the DVD, with the XDK recovery disc it should rewrite all four BIOSes back to stock correct?

Well, before we get too far ahead here, I have a question for you: Have you tried booting your Devkit with a harddrive yet?

This is sticking out to me like a sore thumb after viewing a previous post where you showed the boot process. The flubber animation is perfect. No glitches, no oddities. Remember that the OG Xbox relies heavily on the HDD. Case in point, every OG Xbox has them. This is where the dashboard is located-- no HDD means no dashboard to boot to, which (IMHO) perfectly explains why you're getting a blank screen after the animation. You may not need to split the TSOP after all (though I stand by my willingness to assist with that if necessary). Also, the benefit of a 2 way TSOP split is being able to utilize larger 512k bioses. In the case of Xecuter 2 bioses (which were made to work with all modchips), that would enable a stock Xbox v1.0/v1.1 user to TSOP flash the latest and final X2 bios (which comes with extra features I currently can't recall). You will LOSE access to being able to use a 512k bios while running a 4 way split... Seems a lot of the devkit bioses want 512k storage, so it's something to keep in mind. Should also keep in mind that the bios I had recommended (as well as the others in that folder) advise against flashing to TSOP. I would heed this warning considering you don't have a backup of your original bios (yet?).

Personally I think your first priority is to revive a stock console (with a modchip), and rebuild a HDD via SlaYer's or Superdisc. Once you have the HDD rebuilt, ensure the HDD is unlocked from the stock console you built it on. Swap it into your devkit Xbox and (with a modchip) lock the HDD to the devkit (if possible). Even if it can't be locked, you're at least one step closer to getting the devkit working as the partition layout is intact. Then (assuming this truly will work) restore the devkit with the XDK you found. If it requires Xbox Neighborhood to complete, then download the UIX dashboard for that as I believe this was the only homebrew dashboard to utilize it.

This is kind of off topic, but FSD reminds me very much of UIX. Both were created by repurposing and reusing elements of the official dashboard (ignoring NXE anyway). The most feature rich dashboard is UnleashX. Don't be seduced by EvoX-- it had a lot of hype, and was probably the most popular, but it was severely lacking in features.

In any case, I will (reluctantly...) disassemble my slimbox and get those pictures for you. (it's only a pain because I didn't/couldn't design it to be easily disassembled)

• Like 1

I don't know if the bios not booting issue is tied to the fact that maybe a special default.xbe was used for your console. Maybe it was somehow looking for the dash in a different location than you currently have (if any) or it needs a special dash file. I know I read that many of the dev/debug kits booted with a wireframe display as opposed to the normal looking dash, so missing this dash might be causing your error, IDK. 

Without the knowledge of seeing a devkit personally, it's all just guesswork for me. But maybe there is even a different partition scheme that it looks for???

• Like 2

I'm fairly sure that's exactly why it won't boot. Usually a retail Xbox boots xboxdash.xbe, and a hacked retail will boot from either evoxdash.xbe (typically 1st), avalaunch.xbe, unleashx.xbe, xbmc.xbe, uix.xbe (rarely; usually must be configured), or xboxdash.xbe (as a fallback if no hacked dashboards can be found).

So if he puts a modchip in and gets something like UnleashX or UIX booting, he can probably work with it from there. I'm unaware of the XDK dash is on xbins or not. Might be worth checking out.

• Like 1

I'm fairly sure that's exactly why it won't boot. Usually a retail Xbox boots xboxdash.xbe, and a hacked retail will boot from either evoxdash.xbe (typically 1st), avalaunch.xbe, unleashx.xbe, xbmc.xbe, uix.xbe (rarely; usually must be configured), or xboxdash.xbe (as a fallback if no hacked dashboards can be found).

So if he puts a modchip in and gets something like UnleashX or UIX booting, he can probably work with it from there. I'm unaware of the XDK dash is on xbins or not. Might be worth checking out.

Haha, I totally miffed that. Yeah xboxdash.xbe is what I meant. Hard to remember without being in the filesystem. That and I have created a shortcut to launch XBMC anyways, so that's for all intents and purposes my default dash. 

Well, before we get too far ahead here, I have a question for you: Have you tried booting your Devkit with a harddrive yet?

This is sticking out to me like a sore thumb after viewing a previous post where you showed the boot process. The flubber animation is perfect. No glitches, no oddities. Remember that the OG Xbox relies heavily on the HDD. Case in point, every OG Xbox has them. This is where the dashboard is located-- no HDD means no dashboard to boot to, which (IMHO) perfectly explains why you're getting a blank screen after the animation. You may not need to split the TSOP after all (though I stand by my willingness to assist with that if necessary). Also, the benefit of a 2 way TSOP split is being able to utilize larger 512k bioses. In the case of Xecuter 2 bioses (which were made to work with all modchips), that would enable a stock Xbox v1.0/v1.1 user to TSOP flash the latest and final X2 bios (which comes with extra features I currently can't recall). You will LOSE access to being able to use a 512k bios while running a 4 way split... Seems a lot of the devkit bioses want 512k storage, so it's something to keep in mind. Should also keep in mind that the bios I had recommended (as well as the others in that folder) advise against flashing to TSOP. I would heed this warning considering you don't have a backup of your original bios (yet?).

Personally I think your first priority is to revive a stock console (with a modchip), and rebuild a HDD via SlaYer's or Superdisc. Once you have the HDD rebuilt, ensure the HDD is unlocked from the stock console you built it on. Swap it into your devkit Xbox and (with a modchip) lock the HDD to the devkit (if possible). Even if it can't be locked, you're at least one step closer to getting the devkit working as the partition layout is intact. Then (assuming this truly will work) restore the devkit with the XDK you found. If it requires Xbox Neighborhood to complete, then download the UIX dashboard for that as I believe this was the only homebrew dashboard to utilize it.

This is kind of off topic, but FSD reminds me very much of UIX. Both were created by repurposing and reusing elements of the official dashboard (ignoring NXE anyway). The most feature rich dashboard is UnleashX. Don't be seduced by EvoX-- it had a lot of hype, and was probably the most popular, but it was severely lacking in features.

In any case, I will (reluctantly...) disassemble my slimbox and get those pictures for you. (it's only a pain because I didn't/couldn't design it to be easily disassembled)

Ok, so pre-partitioned drive first. I figured the XDK recovery disc would repartition and format it for me. I'm guessing I'll have to clone another drive that is unlocked which shouldn't be too dificult now that I have the EEPROM reader / writer, and a better understanding of how that X2 Pro chip works that Quattro gave sladez. I'm guessing that for any drive to work on it, it will have to have the partition info done first and that it will have to be unlocked as the devkit didn't lock its drive (great news when I get a 2TB internal and a SATA adapter for it!)

If the devkit's relied on a 512k bios then that will be what I'll have to do. Don't take apart your console if you have a PITA build to undo to get to your work for dox. Not trying to make you bend over backwards and no sense in doing it if this calls for something different. As I said previously, I want to have it as stock as possible at first and when I know it's all good to go I'll mod it non-destructively. From how hard it has been to even find information on the silly thing I don't want to perma-brick it, but I'd like to know more on its hardware fundamentals before I tinker (Most likely on a junk 1.0 box in the pile first).

I don't know if the bios not booting issue is tied to the fact that maybe a special default.xbe was used for your console. Maybe it was somehow looking for the dash in a different location than you currently have (if any) or it needs a special dash file. I know I read that many of the dev/debug kits booted with a wireframe display as opposed to the normal looking dash, so missing this dash might be causing your error, IDK. 

Without the knowledge of seeing a devkit personally, it's all just guesswork for me. But maybe there is even a different partition scheme that it looks for???

I wouldn't know about a special default.xbe as I'm not even at that point yet; however, I'm sure if it does require one then booting a retail dash just to load the xdk recovery disc will restore it. From what I read on the information about the disc, it rewrites EEPROM, TSOP, and drive. If the drive is not a developement or debug kit it will blank the EEPROM and TSOP.

So let me Round up a working hard drive, unlock it, clone it to my donor drive and see if that works.

And I found a gem concerning TSOP reading. An MIT guy did it and here's a link that I guess would serve as a TuT, pretty cool actually, I like his TSOP socket for swapping bioses for expermental and developement purposes. http://www.xenatera.com/bunnie/proj/anatak/xboxmod.html

Here's his lab technical memo ftp://publications.ai.mit.edu/ai-publications/2002/AIM-2002-008.pdf

I'm going to try to find his actual paper, should still exist but its no longer hosted at MIT....

He did a tear-down on his back in 2001 when he was working on his PhD on Supercomputer Architecture and noted some useful information.

Also he was working with a semi-conductor company in San Diego and it took me some site crawling but I found his page on theory and mods and stuff full of his own designed TuT's concerning reverse engineering  http://www.xenatera.com/hackingthexbox/index.html

It looks to be a book that he wrote actually and these are sample pages of his work.

***EDIT*** Took some more site crawling but I found that he later released his publication as literary freeware. We should have a copy of this in our xbins Xbox section. Here's the URL save a copy definitely worth having I think. ^_^http://bunniefoo.com/nostarch/HackingTheXbox_Free.pdf

and a better understanding of how that X2 Pro chip works that Quattro gave sladez.

That was never my chip, I turned it down as I didn't need it or the console it was in.

And I found a gem concerning TSOP reading. An MIT guy did it and here's a link that I guess would serve as a TuT, pretty cool actually, I like his TSOP socket for swapping bioses for expermental and developement purposes. http://www.xenatera.com/bunnie/proj/anatak/xboxmod.html

Here's his lab technical memo ftp://publications.ai.mit.edu/ai-publications/2002/AIM-2002-008.pdf

I'm going to try to find his actual paper, should still exist but its no longer hosted at MIT....

He did a tear-down on his back in 2001 when he was working on his PhD on Supercomputer Architecture and noted some useful information.

Haha, that was Bunnie Huang, the first guy to reverse engineer the Xbox (and bypass the security). I have his book/paper, he released it to all for free, so it's out there.
  • Like 2

That was never my chip, I turned it down as I didn't need it or the console it was in.

Haha, that was Bunnie Huang, the first guy to reverse engineer the Xbox (and bypass the security). I have his book/paper, he released it to all for free, so it's out there.

I really really like his TSOP mod. Makes me wonder if you can piggyback it with a switch for more than 1MB for playing with different types of hacked bioses.I was actually wondering the same thing in regards to the Samsung memory chips on these old things. If its P3 architecture than you have a 3GB RAM capacity as long as you don't exceed the bus bandwidth on the motherboard you should be able to stack them in-line (No switch needed) I'd think.  You could probably hack it to 2Gb safely.

I'll mess with a couple one day and probably burn the test system up but it'll be fun to try. They're 128MB modules right?

I really really like his TSOP mod. Makes me wonder if you can piggyback it with a switch for more than 1MB for playing with different types of hacked bioses.I was actually wondering the same thing in regards to the Samsung memory chips on these old things. If its P3 architecture than you have a 3GB RAM capacity as long as you don't exceed the bus bandwidth on the motherboard you should be able to stack them in-line (No switch needed) I'd think.  You could probably hack it to 2Gb safely.

I'll mess with a couple one day and probably burn the test system up but it'll be fun to try. They're 128MB modules right?

I wouldn't know anything about stacking chips, lmao. Matter of fact, (and aside from the fact yours already has 128MB I think) I would turn most people to Trusty for memory upgrades. But honestly, the Bios options out there are pretty limited, aside from the many revisions. I never used any of those other bios because my 3294 on my X3 chip is better than most out there, IMO. 

Hit me up one of these days, we should get together and BS about it. I've been retired since 2010, so I just sit around with my nose in the computer. Maybe get Sladez and we'll knock back some Micky's and play zombies, lolz.

edit: I think retail is 64MB memory chips, the 128's are only on dev/debug or custom installs. You have to have a custom file somewhere to take advantage of the extra memory too, I believe XBMC has it built in, IDK.

• Like 1

I wouldn't know anything about stacking chips, lmao. Matter of fact, (and aside from the fact yours already has 128MB I think) I would turn most people to Trusty for memory upgrades. But honestly, the Bios options out there are pretty limited, aside from the many revisions. I never used any of those unleashx, etc. bios because my 3294 on my X3 chip is better than most out there, IMO. 

Hit me up one of these days, we should get together and BS about it. I've been retired since 2010, so I just sit around with my nose in the computer. Maybe get Sladez and we'll knock back some Micky's and play zombies, lolz.

That's what he wanted to do before he wound up at the hospital over that acidosis BS last month. I drove her over to visit him when I found out what happened. He's doing much better no though, got hella hammered on his birthday. That scoundrel was drinking Ten High Bourbon and I brought him a bottle of Crown Royal while I had my Grey Goose. It'd be good times for sure bro! I'm down for it! :sorcerer:

on the note of the xbox though, I'm real green with those things as during that time period I was modding my PC with overclocks and the such playing the hell out of Quake III Rocket Arena and Battlefield 1942 back when I still lived in Fremont.

That's what he wanted to do before he wound up at the hospital over that acidosis BS last month. I drove her over to visit him when I found out what happened. He's doing much better no though, got hella hammered on his birthday. That scoundrel was drinking Ten High Bourbon and I brought him a bottle of Crown Royal while I had my Grey Goose. It'd be good times for sure bro! I'm down for it! :sorcerer:

Sorry to hear that, tell him I said to get better, then i'll bring my bottle of Crystal Head over and we can laugh at how it resembles Dan Ackroyd, lmfao.

Crystal-Head-3._V382035979_.jpg

Sorry to hear that, tell him I said to get better, then i'll bring my bottle of Crystal Head over and we can laugh at how it resembles Dan Ackroyd, lmfao.

Crystal-Head-3._V382035979_.jpg

I'll relay the info. If this guy doesnt bring me his GNS3 laptop to install 5 server OS's on it for him I'll probably start the unlock // drive clone procedure today.

• Like 1

Well, I'm back and with pictures-- I know you seem to have changed your mind on which TSOP split to do, but I already took apart the slimbox. Who knows, maybe someone looking for the 4 way TSOP mod will end up here from Google?

4e1cd9f5029235d786aa0529616fe3d0.jpg

Kinda hard to see what's going on, but the black wires are going to what I believe is ground, yellow wires going to the pinheadder pin, then one striped wire to each via point.

cd25883a4648fcce9f886e046c6b3eee.jpg

Also kind of hard to see, but it seems the striped wire goes to the center of the switches, ground to one side, 3.3v to other side.

099e948b80a6eced49360913d1d4258a.jpg

Zoomed out view of motherboard and how I routed the wires (underneath the LAN port)

10e08dc4725fe0b5a5578567b43651fb.jpg

And lastly, all closed up, showing position of switches outside of case.

I can't remember which position banks 2 and 3 are, but they are either ON-OFF or OFF-ON. Bank 4 is ON-ON (ON = 3.3v), bank 1 is OFF-OFF (OFF = GND). And yes, my soldering sucked back then lol. That was 10 years ago, when I was barely still in high school :p. Yes, I colored the wires with a black sharpie-- that's why the color is faded on the "black" wires.... Ah... It was cheap anyway.

• Like 2

HAHAHAHA HOLY CRAP!!  I have that EXACT Vantec gpu cooler. I originally used it on a Radeon 9500 pro that I unlocked and overclocked to a 9700 pro.  Funny...

Overall a pretty damned good layout I think. I'm surprised you didn't do the 128MB memory upgrade on it. The copper heatsink on the MCPX3 chip was a good idea too. Were these consoles also prone to overheating like everything else Xbox? That is something I may have to consider once I get this thing up and fully running again. My biggest issue right now is scouring the junk pile for a working drive that I can dump its EEPROM from and clone the drive unlocked for the Devkit. I did tinker with it earlier today with XboxHDM and partitioned and formatted the donor drive, no dashboard files though so I'm going to have to really scour HARD through this crap and hopefully find something I can use. The Devkit still wouldn't boot even with a partitioned and formatted hard disk...  T_T

I also went through my old junk and found a working AMD system newer than that '98 box that has a serial port on it and I re-purposed it for this kinda stuff. Installed XP Pro Performance by TJ 2010 on it for efficiency. Not a bad bench rig with its 1GB of RAM, 1.2GHZ CPU and Gigabyte Geforce 6200 card in it.  I'll keep it around for good this time as I think I'll need it with my BlackCat JTAG for Cable Modem firmware programming and anything else hardware related for older equipment.

• Like 1

Heh, well no widespread issues with OG Xboxes overheating, I just used the Iceberqs to accommodate for the slimmer case (one of the original heatsinks was too tall). The small copper heatsink was just an extra.. More influence from Llamma--heatsink whatever you can lol.

I thought about doing the 128MB upgrade, but I think I may have read somewhere that it interferes with retail games. Aside from that, I didn't have the tools necessary at the time... Though, I did have the RAM chips :)

Why are you wanting to dump the eeprom from a random hard drive? Note that you don't need to reprogram a HDD's eeprom to get it to work with an Xbox. The only eeprom that matters is the one on the Xbox motherboard (just for lock/unlock purposes; I know we established that the devkit eeprom doesn't seem to lock/unlock anything we know of)

Why are you wanting to dump the eeprom from a random hard drive? Note that you don't need to reprogram a HDD's eeprom to get it to work with an Xbox. The only eeprom that matters is the one on the Xbox motherboard (just for lock/unlock purposes; I know we established that the devkit eeprom doesn't seem to lock/unlock anything we know of)

It's not the EEPROM that I'm trying to scavenge. My EEPROM is just fine from what I know, but I do need an Operating system for this drive to rule out your thoughts on the drive first correct? I have no system files, the recovery disc doesnt boot with a partitioned // formatted drive via XboxHDM. So I'll need a dash. If that doesnt work then move on to the next piece of hardware that would normally fall into question, also I might want to consider putting this board onto my presto griddle since it was found literally in a garbage dumpster. Might need to bust out my multifmeter and maybe even order a few new scanning tools to go over the components if these basic fixes don't work. This doesnt bother me, I will fix it! I was planning on buying some more equipment anyways...   =P

I find that learning, fixing, and modding stuff is more fun than actually playing the video games that they were designed for.   lawlz

• Like 1

Question; what jumper settings did you have on the HDD?

If memory serves me right, it should be set to "Cable Select"

Just popping in to say this is one of the coolest threads I've ever followed. I want to know what happens to this devkit more than I want to see the next Star Wars.

• Like 4

It's not the EEPROM that I'm trying to scavenge. My EEPROM is just fine from what I know, but I do need an Operating system for this drive to rule out your thoughts on the drive first correct? I have no system files, the recovery disc doesnt boot with a partitioned // formatted drive via XboxHDM. So I'll need a dash. If that doesnt work then move on to the next piece of hardware that would normally fall into question

Yeah, you definitely need an OS/Dashboard. I'm afraid that XboxHDM doesn't install one though. If I remember correctly, it's a free/open source app and likely doesn't install the dashboard files due to copyright concerns. That's why I keep recommending either SlaYer's or Superdisc-- it'll partition hour drive AND install dashboard files (as well as other apps if you choose not to use the option for a stock install). I really recommend the modded install, especially if you're eventually going to restore the dev tools later. That way you can utilize the homebrew apps that may be of use to you until then. The auto installers shouldn't mess with the eeprom, so no worries.

Correct, good sir :)

I forgot all about the jumper settings, but I distinctly remember having to change my PC IDE drives from Master to CS.

• Like 2

I have it set as Cable Select as I see that all the stock retail consoles are configured that way. I am using an ATA133 rounded silicon cable though, if that is problematic I can always switch it out with a standard ATA133 or a stock ATA 66 one.

Just popping in to say this is one of the coolest threads I've ever followed. I want to know what happens to this devkit more than I want to see the next Star Wars.

Thanks man! I just want to get it going because it's a nice relic to have PLUS  consolidating my MAME archive to it would be nice since from what I've read Classic Xbox has better rom support including chd's.

Yeah, you definitely need an OS/Dashboard. I'm afraid that XboxHDM doesn't install one though. If I remember correctly, it's a free/open source app and likely doesn't install the dashboard files due to copyright concerns. That's why I keep recommending either SlaYer's or Superdisc-- it'll partition hour drive AND install dashboard files (as well as other apps if you choose not to use the option for a stock install). I really recommend the modded install, especially if you're eventually going to restore the dev tools later. That way you can utilize the homebrew apps that may be of use to you until then. The auto installers shouldn't mess with the eeprom, so no worries.

Thats just it, I can't get it to even load superdisc, slayers, or the devkit recovery disc. This is why I suspect the BIOS and that it's not passing a POST.

Just a thought Static, but the dev kits may not need a locked hdd because of the need for teams to swap hdds. Maybe taking a donor hdd from a known working Xbox could yield results in getting it to boot.

BTW, did you have a xboxdash.xbe in your hdd when you tried to boot it? I believe it goes in C: root

Thats just it, I can't get it to even load superdisc, slayers, or the devkit recovery disc. This is why I suspect the BIOS and that it's not passing a POST.

Have you tried running SlaYer's/Superdisc on a different console? I mean, with the HDD intended for the devkit installed

• Like 1