RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
anshulgoel

Xbox 360 Slim (RGH) corona v1 boot screen freeze issue

Hello everyone, I have having Xbox 360 slim (Corona v1, 250GB) console. Used x360Ace to RGH the box.

Till sometimes it was working fine. But now I have started experiencing freeze on startup. The freeze is also very unusual. It freezes sometimes at the start basically 5-6 times. After that it starts without any issue and works fine for nth time.
After it starts and I restart it then I do not experience freeze issue at all.
If I shut it down and start it after 10-15 min then again I start getting freeze issue.

Tried reloading xell and it boots fine without freezing even when xbox is freezing.
I am on latest dash v2.0.17489.0.

Earlier I thought that the RGH chip was bad and that is causing the problem so I got it changed. But after that also I am still having the problem.

Does anyone has any idea what the issue is.

Common reasons for freezes in dash are bad hardware (usually down to the chip itself, and seeing as you used a fairly cheap one it's a likely candidate as the cheaper chips often uses WAY cheaper components often put on a side track as sorta working but might not be high quality) or a bad flash, mostly due to using bad software for the write (mainly when done on the console itself) or having a bad connection (when using a hardware flasher)

Some dashlaunch plugins may also cause issues if used on newer dashboards, even using a unofficial package for 17489 might be causing the issue (if it said 17489 somewhere in the file name it's 99.9% sure to be a unofficial package)

JRunner can sometimes also have issues with images causing the console to behave in weird ways, it's not very common and i don't know why it happens, it shouldn't as both JRunner and xeBuild GUI use xeBuild to build the images, however i believe JRunner might be doing some work on the image once it's been generated which may cause the issues...

Try building a new image with xeBuild GUI and doing a full erase 2-3 times followed by writing the new image, if you still experience the issues, doublecheck the soldering work or replace the chip with a slightly more expensive alternative

Thanks Swizzy, will try the above suggestions and post if it fixes the problem.
Regarding the RGH chip that I have used, I went to the person who RGH'ed it and asked him if freeze maybe an issue due to chip. But he told that chip's work is done as soon as console starts booting. If it freezes during boot then there's some problem with the console and not with the chip.
Also today I installed FSD and checked by console temperatures. The readings were not so good. Below are the temperature readings:

When I started the Xbox following was the temperature:
Processor: 72-75 C
Graphics- 70-73 c
Memory- 60-64 C
Chasis: 34-38 c

But during game play the temperature went higher:
Processor: 80 C
Graphics- 77 c
Memory- 67 C
Chasis: 43 c

Is there a way that this temperature can be linked to boot screen freeze. Last time I opened the console, I removed the heatsink and didn't reapplied the thermal paste. Just attached the heatsink with the old thermal paste that was there. Any idea.

If that's the case I was thinking of purchasing Arctic Silver 5 and applying it.

And thanks for the quick reply.

Even if the chip is done with the task it's doing, it might not always know it, i've had it happen also with mid-range chips with random freezes during startup due to it not quite detecting that the console booted and sent another reset pulse making the system have no clue what to do...

If the chip gets hot it might not function quite right despite being "done" with it's task... the chip doesn't turn itself off just because your console boots, it just stops trying to glitch the console, it still draws power from your console, and if it has bad components it might be drawing a little bit too much power from some component on the 3.3v line, which in turn causes the console to freeze because the components aren't working the way they're supposed to...

I would recommend setting up Dashlaunch to broadcast the temperatures and check the progression using my Dashlaunch Temp Monitor, it'll create a graph for you which shows the progression, 80 degree's is quite common for the CPU in the 360, so i'm not surprised by those values, however the Chassis reading is a bit on the high side, atleast during gameplay, however you don't want to have a game running to see the temps, you want it to be in idle in dash, that's the best way to benchmark the temps, during gameplay it'll shift up 'n' down ALOT depending on the game you're playing and what exactly you are doing

Thanks. Will check the graph and post it.

Also with what information you have provided, I am assuming that there's nothing wrong in my console. And the main issue might be with the rgh chip used. Just wanted to confirm if it's safe to play games on my xbox with this issue? It won't damage my console right?

Well, i can't think of any major damage that could happen, worst case is it stops working temporarily...

I don't exactly recommend playing with a console that have freezing issues for multiple reasons, you don't know if this issue is strictly with the boot process, it could also be mid-game, at which point you'd lose any progress you made in the game, even mid-save which would result in a corrupt savegame, to be on the safe side i would recommend that you don't play games etc. on your console until you've had this issue fixed