RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
fulltimehustler

External HD Questions....

So this is a wierd hardware type of mystery....

i have a 2tb western digital external hard drive. usb 3 etc.

supposibly my ex wife dropped water on it or something...

no burn smells.

of course computers and everything else dont "read" it

BUT PS3 and PS4 BOTH PLAY MOST FILES, but cant copy them usually maybe the small files.

So im wondering why the PS systems can detect and somewhat use the drive and others refuse or freeze.

im pretty sure the drive is useless, but someday i might rip it open and try to use it as an internal...but find it hard to believe a "case transfer" will fix the problem, even with a format. the files are media so no biggie, but still.

I suspect your computers all run Windows?

PS3/PS4 are based on Linux, Linux aren't as nazi regarding devices working 100%... as in, partially working devices may work on Linux while they don't work on Windows, this is especially true for harddrives, very useful for forensics when drive recovery is required

It could actually be the SATA -> USB that's causing the problem, it's not uncommon tbh, the first thing to break is that PCB, especially if you got some moisture in there, that side is the most likely to take the damage first, if the HDD was off when it happened it's more likely that PCB got water damaged but didn't effect the HDD, however it's possible the HDD is damaged aswell

Good to know, i actually used ubuntu a few years ago just to try and read the drive from my laptop. im going to give it a shot again since im on a linux desktop now. That would make sense about your theory regarding the water damage. I cant remember what she said if it was on, but I would imagine its damaged. I rememebr when i first got my ps4 tried it again (my previous BackwordsCompatabilePS3 played the drive), sure enough it worked. i watched a few movies or something then it died but was able to read again. was a bummer to lose it tho cuz i consolidated my other 2 drives and organized everything, esp the movies and music.