RealModScene
hermit

Gearing up for 17489 update, possible bad block?

Hello to all, new poster here.

I'm gearing up to try to update my jtagged Jasper big block from 16747 to 17489 (haven't updated anything since modding it). But before I try this, I want to see if someone can double-check me on a few things, since I haven't attempted this before and I'd rather be safe than sorry. And also because I've only ever modded my own 360 the one time (and a couple of first-gen Xboxes) and it's been a while. So even though I don't consider myself technically challenged, I can't say I might not be ignorant :)  Thanks in advance to whoever may choose to help me here.

I've gotten to the point where I've dumped the nand with Simple 360 Nand Flasher, but I want to be absolutely sure of what I'm doing before I build the new image and flash the console. There is also a question of a bad block being reported by S360NF (see log below).

Simple 360 NAND Flasher by Swizzy v1.4b (BETA)

* Detecting NAND Type...

* Detected RAW NAND device!

* Entering NAND Mode...

* Attempting to grab CPUKey...

* CPUKey sucessfully saved to: game:\cpukey.txt

============= Console information: =============

Current Dashboard: 2.0.16747.0

Current DashLaunch version: 3.12 (548)

Your CPUKey is: (removed)

================================================

* Looking for simpleflasher.cmd for automatic features...

game:\simpleflasher.cmd NOT Found!

* Entering Manual mode!

Press X if you want to dump your nand with Rawdump v1

If you press anything else the application will close...

Press A to Dump System Partition only (64MB, Recommended!)

Press B to Dump Full NAND (256MB/512MB, this may take a while...)

Press Back to abort dump process...

config register     = AA3064

sfc:page_sz         = 200

sfc:meta_sz         = 10

sfc:page_sz_phys    = 210

sfc:pages_in_block  = 100

sfc:block_sz        = 20000

sfc:block_sz_phys   = 21000

sfc:size_mb         = 512MB

sfc:size_bytes      = 20000000

sfc:size_bytes_phys = 21000000

sfc:size_pages      = 100000

sfc:size_blocks     = 1000

* rawdump v1 started (by Swizzy)

game:\flashdmp.bin opened OK, attempting to read 0x21000000 bytes from flash...

! SFCX: Bad block found at 0xE53

block 0xE53 seems bad, status 0x350

NAND Dumped! :D

Completed after 473.00 seconds

Press any button to exit!

After some googling, I opened the nand dump in 360 flash dump tool 0.97 and did not see a bad block tab, which would seem to indicate no bad blocks? So I'm not sure what to do here.

I know I will need to update DashLaunch as well and I'm not sure what settings I'll need there. Will I need to update DL manually? XeBuild GUI seems to indicate otherwise, but I've never used it before so I ask. I'll update FSD and install Aurora too.

Including a screen of the dump in xeBuild GUI just in case it might be helpful. Again, thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

edited to add: the keyvault section is empty -- is this normal?

post-69638-0-90710100-1447367681_thumb.jpg

bad blocks are common.. just how some nands are.. they get re-written to the end of the nand.. i believe as long as it isn't in the first 50 blocks or so.. you're fine mate.. i've had some nands that had up to 4 bad blocks and worked fine..

i have a nand that produces this:

• Bad Block ID @ 0xB2 [Offset: 0x2DE400]
• Bad Block ID @ 0xB2 Found @ 0x3FF[Offset: 0x107BE00]

and still works just fine..

bad blocks are common.. just how some nands are.. they get re-written to the end of the nand.. i believe as long as it isn't in the first 50 blocks or so.. you're fine mate.. i've had some nands that had up to 4 bad blocks and worked fine..

i have a nand that produces this:

• Bad Block ID @ 0xB2 [Offset: 0x2DE400]

• Bad Block ID @ 0xB2 Found @ 0x3FF[Offset: 0x107BE00]

and still works just fine..

A friend of mine encountered a console with really bad luck regarding badblocks... blocks 1-6 was bad if memory serves me right, at the time everyone he spoke to said "It's not possible to hack that console, the badblocks will not be remappable" or some bullshit... he asked me for help and i fixed it for him :)

In general, if you have less then 10 badblocks, it's fine, and Simple 360 NAND Flasher doesn't lie to you, it tells you exactly what the console says regarding the blocks as they're read... if it says it's bad, it's either really bad or it's marked bad... either way, you can trust it to be accurate...

xeBuild will remap the block(s) for you unless you tell it to do otherwise, xeBuild GUI will also allow you to install Dashlaunch ad buildtime, which is what you want to do if you're one of the smart ones, you can read the tutorial linked in my signature below if you're in doubts of how to use xeBuild GUI :)

A friend of mine encountered a console with really bad luck regarding badblocks... blocks 1-6 was bad if memory serves me right, at the time everyone he spoke to said "It's not possible to hack that console, the badblocks will not be remappable" or some bullshit... he asked me for help and i fixed it for him :)

In general, if you have less then 10 badblocks, it's fine, and Simple 360 NAND Flasher doesn't lie to you, it tells you exactly what the console says regarding the blocks as they're read... if it says it's bad, it's either really bad or it's marked bad... either way, you can trust it to be accurate...

xeBuild will remap the block(s) for you unless you tell it to do otherwise, xeBuild GUI will also allow you to install Dashlaunch ad buildtime, which is what you want to do if you're one of the smart ones, you can read the tutorial linked in my signature below if you're in doubts of how to use xeBuild GUI :)

ahh well you can do that stuff.. MOST cant haha.. but still most of the things i've seen said couldnt be done due to the ECC needing those blocks or something... was ALONG time ago.. lol.. way back when with rogero multibuilder.. hahahahah.. but yeah great work on fixing that for your friend!!! great news!!

Swizzy, felida -- thanks for the replies.

Ok, I've followed the link in Swizzy's sig, reading through...

edited to add:

I followed the tutorial, and have the updflash.bin that xeBuild GUI produced. It's way smaller than my flashdmp.bin... is this par for BB Jaspers, or do I have a problem? Guessing only the relevant part of the nand will be overwritten? Seem to recall that only the first 64mb was needed for a dump...

Swizzy, felida -- thanks for the replies.

Ok, I've followed the link in Swizzy's sig, reading through...

edited to add:

I followed the tutorial, and have the updflash.bin that xeBuild GUI produced. It's way smaller than my flashdmp.bin... is this par for BB Jaspers, or do I have a problem? Guessing only the relevant part of the nand will be overwritten? Seem to recall that only the first 64mb was needed for a dump...

BB jasper's aren't supported for RGH really.. so it uses the 16mb portion to do it.. it's normal for it.. unless it's smaller than 16MB.. Swizzy will more than likely give you more technical info..

BB jasper's aren't supported for RGH really.. so it uses the 16mb portion to do it.. it's normal for it.. unless it's smaller than 16MB.. Swizzy will more than likely give you more technical info..

Thanks. BTW, this is for a jtag using the nand-x quick-solder boards and the updflash.bin is a little over 64mb -- 67,584kb if it makes any difference.

Thanks. BTW, this is for a jtag using the nand-x quick-solder boards and the updflash.bin is a little over 64mb -- 67,584kb if it makes any difference.

ok.. hrmmm... yeah wait for swizzy to respond.. as he is the techy guy on this stuff lolz

What bullshit are you saying?!?!?!?!?!

BB Jasper is RGH compatible aswell, the final image will always be 64MB, it's only the system partition...

The difference between BB Jasper and 16MB Jasper is that you have a bigger NAND area and a slightly different spare structure... other then that, there's nothing different with them, the hacks are compatible with ALL models of the phats (except for the really old xenon where RGH don't really work that well due to different hardware models, there are 4 different Xenon models 2 may work nicely, the other 2 don't work at all)

What bullshit are you saying?!?!?!?!?!

haha see that's why i also stated to wait for you to respond... lolz.. like i said 98% correct info mostly.. this would be that 2% where i was off lmao

Just stopped by to say how much I appreciated the help. Dash updated without a hitch. Thanks to you both!

Now to update the avatars...