RealModScene
gangrel_1313

ED64 PLUS (Saving Issue)

I recently bought a ED64 Plus, which for anyone who doesn't know is a N64 Cart Rom Emulator of sorts that allows you to play ROM's on the original N64 hardware, I looked online as well as in the manual and it says to save a game you have to hit the reset button on the console to save the game to SD card before you power off, but when I hit reset it doesn't appear to do anything, I power it off and reboot and browse for a save and it says there are no files. Anyone else have a ED64 Plus (not the official EverDrive 64, some people confuse the two, but its an unofficial clone).

• Like 1

Never used one so I can't be too much help other than offer my google-fu. I read a thread that talked about it briefly and mentioned save issues on certain games. It's from '07 but maybe it can help with your issue.

Quoted from https://gbatemp.net/threads/ed64-plus-my-impressions-any-owners-around-here.343004/#post-4555883

I updated the first post. Looks like the ED64 Plus (at least with my hardware constellation) has problems with games who are using FLASH or EEPROM 64kb as savetype.

You can start and play these games with no problem, but the RESET-Button is NOT taking you back to the OS. And this is necessary to save your gamesave. If this problem can't be solved by changing the hardware constellation (N64 itself, Boot-Cart) or by software (maybe update?), then the following games can (maybe) be played, but you can't save your gamesave:

Games who are using EEPROM 64 kb:

Banjo-Tooie
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Cruis'n World
Donkey Kong 64
Excitebike 64
Kobe Bryant in NBA Courtside
Mario Party 3
Mario Tennis
Perfect Dark
Ridge Racer 64
Star Wars Episode 1 Racer
Yoshi's Story

Games whou are using FLASH:

Command & Conquer
Jet Force Gemini Kiosk
Jet Force Gemini
Ken Griffey Jr's Slugfest
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, The
Megaman 64
NBA Courtside 2 featuring Kobe Bryant
Paper Mario
Pokémon Puzzle League
Pokémon Snap
Pokémon Stadium
Pokémon Stadium 2
Starcraft 64
Tigger's Honey Hunt
WWF: No Mercy

• Like 1

I own an everdrive 64 V2.5 by Krikkz. You are most likely experiencing issues because the product that you have is a cheap Chinese knockoff. You are correct in thinking that resetting will save your games, depending on the version you have. The new ED64 V3.0 will save without having to hit the reset button. But I doubt there is any support for your knockoff product. My guess is that it just doesnt work. You can make a post in the forum set up for the everdrive 64. Not sure if I am aloud to link to it or not. But folks there might be of more help.

I own an everdrive 64 V2.5 by Krikkz. You are most likely experiencing issues because the product that you have is a cheap Chinese knockoff. You are correct in thinking that resetting will save your games, depending on the version you have. The new ED64 V3.0 will save without having to hit the reset button. But I doubt there is any support for your knockoff product. My guess is that it just doesnt work. You can make a post in the forum set up for the everdrive 64. Not sure if I am aloud to link to it or not. But folks there might be of more help.

I've been to Krikkz forum and they do have a forum for the clones, but I haven't asked about the ED64Plus, I may sign up there and see if they are any help. With your experience with the EverDrive, like in QuattroGam3r's response, does the reset button take you to the OS?

Never used one so I can't be too much help other than offer my google-fu. I read a thread that talked about it briefly and mentioned save issues on certain games. It's from '07 but maybe it can help with your issue.

Quoted from https://gbatemp.net/threads/ed64-plus-my-impressions-any-owners-around-here.343004/#post-4555883

I updated the first post. Looks like the ED64 Plus (at least with my hardware constellation) has problems with games who are using FLASH or EEPROM 64kb as savetype.

You can start and play these games with no problem, but the RESET-Button is NOT taking you back to the OS. And this is necessary to save your gamesave. If this problem can't be solved by changing the hardware constellation (N64 itself, Boot-Cart) or by software (maybe update?), then the following games can (maybe) be played, but you can't save your gamesave:

Games who are using EEPROM 64 kb:

Banjo-Tooie

Conker's Bad Fur Day

Cruis'n World

Donkey Kong 64

Excitebike 64

Kobe Bryant in NBA Courtside

Mario Party 3

Mario Tennis

Perfect Dark

Ridge Racer 64

Star Wars Episode 1 Racer

Yoshi's Story

Games whou are using FLASH:

Command & Conquer

Jet Force Gemini Kiosk

Jet Force Gemini

Ken Griffey Jr's Slugfest

Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, The

Megaman 64

NBA Courtside 2 featuring Kobe Bryant

Paper Mario

Pokémon Puzzle League

Pokémon Snap

Pokémon Stadium

Pokémon Stadium 2

Starcraft 64

Tigger's Honey Hunt

WWF: No Mercy

I've tried 2 games not on that list 1 being Super Mario 64 and the other being Resident Evil 2 neither of those saved.

You wont believe this, Actually it does work, there is something weird with the reset button, you have to press it at an angle, I guess it was just wore out and not pressing quite right from the top, I got it to reset, then went and checked for saves and it was saving.. So glad it works like its supposed to... XD

Ha, nice buddy! Glad you got it figured out. So when you were pushing the reset button before, it was literally doing nothing? You remained "in game?" Well, may your console and ED64plus continue to work as expected!

Ha, nice buddy! Glad you got it figured out. So when you were pushing the reset button before, it was literally doing nothing? You remained "in game?" Well, may your console and ED64plus continue to work as expected!

Yeah, it did nothing at all, did not reset, I thought about putting an actual game cartridge in and trying to reset with that to see if it was the ED64 causing the problem, but I guess I don't need too now. I have a second console that only had a red light and done nothing at all, I could swap that reset switch if I needed too. I hope it continues to work properly for a long time, its a nice device to have, I was tired of playing the games on PC emulators.

I did some testing to provoke this outcome on my ED64Plus and I figured out that while the "Initializing OS" window is still open, you should not turn it off yet. It is also better to wait 5-6 seconds while holding onto reset and after releasing while the Initializing OS window still being open, as I myself have already had save data lost (in only one game though) and I couldn't find any real reason besides maybe the save data being corrupted by too less time for the cartridge to process the data. My best bet is to always save every hour and always make backups, always check if the save is still there after you hit reset

1 minute ago, Niplob said:

I did some testing to provoke this outcome on my ED64Plus and I figured out that while the "Initializing OS" window is still open, you should not turn it off yet. It is also better to wait 5-6 seconds while holding onto reset and after releasing while the Initializing OS window still being open, as I myself have already had save data lost (in only one game though) and I couldn't find any real reason besides maybe the save data being corrupted by too less time for the cartridge to process the data. My best bet is to always save every hour and always make backups, always check if the save is still there after you hit reset

I will give you updates if that method of mine makes me lose my dk64 data again or if it resolved the problem fully ( I can imagine it being the case because the corruption only happens in dk64, where save datas are the biggest out of all other games)

Last Update: I now 100% know the issue: The less I pressed reset, the less the save data actually saved. That also means pressing it too little can corrupt the save, it also explains why I didn't have the issue in Mario Star Road. Mario Star Road only has 4 or 5 conditions it saves (stars, coin high scores, unlocked doors, switches pressed) which is very little. I recommend you pressing it 25 seconds or more every time you save in a big game like oot or donkey kong 64, in tinier games you can just do 10 seconds and it would work perfectly fine. In Star road you can even just do 3 seconds or less