RealModScene
QuattroGam3r

[Release] PSIO - Playstation Development Tool

Same situation with all those SD card cartridges. It's going to be nice when someone finally reverse engineers them and starts making their own, forcing the price down.

I can understand getting your money's worth, but some of those guys are just plain greedy...

the main part is getting the communication between the cart and the motherboard figured out, from there it's not terribly hard i would suspect, that said... i'm no expert in hardware, neither do i really posses much knowledge of how the older consoles actually worked apart from using them to play games...

the main part is getting the communication between the cart and the motherboard figured out, from there it's not terribly hard i would suspect, that said... i'm no expert in hardware, neither do i really posses much knowledge of how the older consoles actually worked apart from using them to play games...

There's gotta be a way to do an internal mod for usb or microSD on them, if the cart can do it then it should be totally possible to do it hardwired internally to the board and just cut something out of the side of the console with a dremmel for a USB port (I hope.) That would be EPIC I think. I love old console's as they were always easier to reverse engineer, matter of fact, I need to get an oldschool Commodore C=64 and do the piggyback SID hack and the other mods to turn it into a 486DX2, well, the same processing power with internal hard drive NIC and CDROM . That would be so cool, just to have with a floating point processor on it. ^_^

http://www.mikesenese.com/DOIT/2011/03/twelve-awesome-commodore-64-hacks-and-projects-and-a-gallery-of-classic-c64-game-discs/

http://www.64hdd.com/c64-projects.html

http://www.bigmech.com/misc/c64mods/audioinout.html

You'd probably loved a hacked C=64 Swizzy, it fully runs on BASIC and has nothing that prevents you from "tinkering"  :D

I really wish there was one in production with modern architecture, such a wonderful platform that was open for literally ANYTHING!

There's gotta be a way to do an internal mod for usb or microSD on them, if the cart can do it then it should be totally possible to do it hardwired internally to the board and just cut something out of the side of the console with a dremmel for a USB port (I hope.) That would be EPIC I think. 

Like this??

http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=509

or more to the point, this??

https://psx0.wordpress.com/2013/01/22/psone-usb-link-serial/

Not sure what can be made to work with it though.

They are going to be releasing a version of PSIO that will not require the PS needing a IO port, but that will have like 49 wires or some such thing. As it stands, you can either load games from SD card or connect via USB to aWindows PC to load the games.

• Like 1

So you'd have to emulate an x86 in order to inject boot code into it  in order to launch romfiles?

Thats pretty nifty, but it sucks that you have to emulate another platform in order to launch it..

I was thinking more or less write a custom USB driver for the PS1 architecture that would just allow you to boot to the stick instead, bypassing the other stuff. It's been a long time so maybe some of the original source is available for modification?

But then you are confined to your hardware resources and offhand I'm not sure what those are for the PS1. When I say what I said, I was referring to all retro consoles in general, and that it might be doable, just takes a lot of hard work, patience, and a sharp mind. You'd probably need to know assembly for older consoles I think.

Yeah IDK, sounds more like a full on hack. PSIO is more of an ODE

Yeah, it would be a full on hack, but man.... That'd be BADASS! You'd be the only person on the block with local storage via usb on whatever retro console you had.

• Like 1

BTW, this one's for you Static. Cybdyn, the guy behind PSIO, is also working on the DCIO for Dreamcast.

That will probably see light after the PSIO goes public.

Or check a YT channel that has 5 vids of DCIO https://www.youtube.com/user/9madsheep/videos

and the placeholder... http://dc-io.com

and his recent commitment... http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=500#p6349

• Like 1

BTW, this one's for you Static. Cybdyn, the guy behind PSIO, is also working on the DCIO for Dreamcast.

That will probably see light after the PSIO goes public.

Or check a YT channel that has 5 vids of DCIO https://www.youtube.com/user/9madsheep/videos

and the placeholder... http://dc-io.com

and his recent commitment... http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=500#p6349

Thats pretty epic!

It would definitely make the storage hack a lot easier I think. I've been procrastinating so much on it. I really should put some time aside and actually complete the three mod projects that I have lined up. XBox Classic, Dreamcast, and finish tinkering with my jailbroken PS3. I really feel like I'm turning into a bit of a hoarder these days... hahaha!!!

By the way, concerning the PSIO storage capacity. I really think it should be up to 380-400GB max. Would make archival libraries one solid collection.

• Like 1

Thats pretty epic!

It would definitely make the storage hack a lot easier I think. I've been procrastinating so much on it. I really should put some time aside and actually complete the three mod projects that I have lined up. XBox Classic, Dreamcast, and finish tinkering with my jailbroken PS3. I really feel like I'm turning into a bit of a hoarder these days... hahaha!!!

Yeah, full ISO's on a HDD. I wish I could get my Nand PS3 downgraded :(

edit: and it's a long shot, but he doesn't exactly shoot down the idea of a Saturn mod... SSIO??

as far as the PSIO SD size, they are talking about increasing it later, as well as possibly allowing the USB connection for HDD storage.

Updated first post to show they have reached 99%.

They have also posted a countdown timer for a limited pre-order at 12:00pm noon (PST) on November 25th.

more info at their website ps-io.com

edit: and big shout out to @sladezzdragonzz for helping me acquire a PS1 (& OG Xbox jewel)  and @_-=SÏ„Ã…TìC Pu£53=-_ for the introduction  :thumbup:

I just got a PS1 SCPH-7501 with the parallel port on it, 2 controllers, ac adapter and five games for $35 today. I gave the kid $95 and he kicked me down a N64 with controller and its power supply with internal memory upgrade and TWO Sega Genesis (Model 1 & Model 2) with one controller.

I'm going to add these to the bucket list of future projects to do.

I'm really interested in the Genesis though, I found out you can overclock it, add region switch, and language switch (Japanese/English) and then stumbled on a project another guy did that he calls the Sega Fusion, which puts a genesis, 32x, and SegaCD all under the hood of a Saturn chassis.

Check this out!

• Like 1

I just got a PS1 SCPH-7501 with the parallel port on it, 2 controllers, ac adapter and five games for $35 today. I gave the kid $95 and he kicked me down a N64 with controller and its power supply with internal memory upgrade and TWO Sega Genesis (Model 1 & Model 2) with one controller.

I'm really interested in the Genesis though, I found out you can overclock it, add region switch, and language switch (Japanese/English) and then stumbled on a project another guy did that he calls the Sega Fusion, which puts a genesis, 32x, and SegaCD all under the hood of a Saturn chassis.

Check this out!

Nice score! That ought to take up a few rainy days, lolz.

That combo console is something else, I didn't really hear him say how he got all three running at the same time, didn't seem like there was a switch or anything. I guess whatever cart/CD is in loads up the display to the monitor output. Probably why he didn't load a CD while his cart was in, lmao.

I'd search for more info on it, but i'm currently setting up my movie library on Xbox One... Plex was taken off PlexPass today so free for all. I don't like using Plex, but It's the best option for DLNA on the One at the moment. Really wish M$ would just give us a Samba server...

Check this out!

That's really really nice! :D

I'm going to do some more research on that consolidation mod. He did an amazing job I think. I really want to do that to this Model one that I scored but I think I'd have to locate at least a Saturn Chassis for the boards to fit all under one hood.

There's gotta be a way to do an internal mod for usb or microSD on them, if the cart can do it then it should be totally possible to do it hardwired internally to the board

LOL.... LOL..... LOL...... ;) You are forgetting the age of the hardware...... It will be really interesting to see how you internally add a usb port directly to the motherboard of an (SNES,Sega Genesis, NES, Atari,etc.)...... Considering it was designed long before usb was thought of. What the cart is, is a mini computer, that can read the usb/sdcard, with an interface to pass the data on to the old console via the cartrage port. Really it is a matter of how data is passed between the snes, and the game cart. Such as, some games have on board memory(Zelda, for example), and some do not, others have rare chips in them, and wont play on the console without the cartrige emulating that the chips are there, and also emulating what they do. Considering the time, research, testing, and development, these carts while "expensive", are really a specialty item, that the designers are try to get to pay for itself. Design, testing, and manufacturing are not cheap, and that is on the hardware side, there is still the programming side to it. ;)

• Like 2

LOL.... LOL..... LOL...... ;) You are forgetting the age of the hardware...... It will be really interesting to see how you internally add a usb port directly to the motherboard of an (SNES,Sega Genesis, NES, Atari,etc.)...... Considering it was designed long before usb was thought of. What the cart is, is a mini computer, that can read the usb/sdcard, with an interface to pass the data on to the old console via the cartrage port. Really it is a matter of how data is passed between the snes, and the game cart. Such as, some games have on board memory(Zelda, for example), and some do not, others have rare chips in them, and wont play on the console without the cartrige emulating that the chips are there, and also emulating what they do. Considering the time, research, testing, and development, these carts while "expensive", are really a specialty item, that the designers are try to get to pay for itself. Design, testing, and manufacturing are not cheap, and that is on the hardware side, there is still the programming side to it. ;)

You probably could as USB 1.0 for the SNES, the others highly doubtful; however, with those cartridge hacks that will accept an SD card, you could re-wire them to be an internal mod with the SD port on the side of the console, kinda like the mods the guy with the Fusion Genesis did. Since it's also a cartridge, if you knew enough about electronics design, you could make a USB upgrade on a cart, but the cart would have more shit on it than the actual console did in order to make it work and you'd most likely need a larger power supply for it to run. Consider this: Homebrew Hacks made a Commodore C=64 run at speeds of a 486-DX 2 66 and the cpu on the commodore was only like 6MHZ from the get with only 640KB of RAM and they expanded it to 16MB with onboard NIC and CD-ROM. Just saying, and that was a 10-15 year technology difference. It really depends on how open the hardware is to modification in order for it to be possible.  ;)

• Like 1

Just a friendly bump to let people know that the PSIO has finally gone on sale to the general public. Woohoo!

First post updated.

Now that i'm working i'll probably pick one up later this month  :clap:

They had another round of pre-orders on March 1st, but they sold out rather quickly... Bummer. I'm going to have to stay glued to the website if I want to make a purchase I guess, lolz.

edit 3/10: Add to cart ability has been restored, looks like they are replenishing stock fairly quick now.

I know there are many variations of the playstation so does it matter which one as long it has a parallel port. Im thinking of the 7502 model, cheers.

Sent By JtagPabb1e C6603 (Rooted)

They originally talked about making one for both types I believe. It would've required a lot more wires/soldering if you did not have the parallel port. But I think they dropped that and only built one for PP PS1's.
It's been a while since I visited their site so I can't tell you for certain, but if you check what they are selling in the link on the first page, you should have your answer.

• Like 2

I just came up on a PS1 I can test this hardware out on. ;) I just have to come up with the money to order it.... Then again your standard modchip for the PS1 to allow you play backups only cost $5 online, so assuming your drive works, that seems to be the cheaper option.

• Like 2

I've been sitting on one that I got from a member on RMS, doesn't play CDs unless it's upside down lolz.

I wanted PSIO when it was released, but since I wasn't working I had no money. Now I have plenty of money but no time to spend on it... Or my 360, PS2, PS3 etc. I should probably just order it and sit on it too before it goes extinct.

• Like 1

I've been sitting on one that I got from a member on RMS, doesn't play CDs unless it's upside down lolz.

I wanted PSIO when it was released, but since I wasn't working I had no money. Now I have plenty of money but no time to spend on it... Or my 360, PS2, PS3 etc. I should probably just order it and sit on it too before it goes extinct.

That's EXACTLY what happened to me this last year with that Crate & Barrel Distribution job...... Well, that and car restoration. I'm glad I'm outta that shit hole.  I hope your work is treating you better than mine did me.

It will be really nice when solid state memory cards reach a high enough capacity to where these hacks totally do away with hard drives. I still have that PS1 I got quite awhile ago when I saw your first post on this. Another project that was put on hiatus when I got that job.  Believe me man, I know how it gets. I'm still sifting through all my stuff just to get some kind of order so I can finish all the stuff I started and regain some kind of sanity here hahahahaha! :geek:

• Like 2

Yeah, they treat me great, considering I quit them 6 yrs. ago and they called me back. Hearing aids are still a pretty niche industry and techs take time to train.

I think I'll get a PSIO and wait till I can find time for it. I also have to repair my OG Xbox that's not booting atm. I think the power connector finally pooped out and needs to be resoldered... Could be the clock cap that I never removed though, lolz.

• Like 1

Yeah, they treat me great, considering I quit them 6 yrs. ago and they called me back. Hearing aids are still a pretty niche industry and techs take time to train.

I think I'll get a PSIO and wait till I can find time for it. I also have to repair my OG Xbox that's not booting atm. I think the power connector finally pooped out and needs to be resoldered... Could be the clock cap that I never removed though, lolz.

Clock cap wouldnt stop it from booting, unless there was some serious corrosion from the cap on the board. I just did one of these the other day for my brother in law, and it still booted with the stock bios just fine. I still flashed the TSOP, as it makes it easier for things like bigger HDDS, and nice error messages, assuming you come across an error, and not having to have the HDD locked. ;)  in my experience, 90% of OG Xbox issues stem around the HDD, and not the motherboard.