RealModScene
QuattroGam3r

[Release] PSIO - Playstation Development Tool

I've been keeping an eye on the Playstation Development Tool "PSIO" for some time. Looks like it's getting closer to a possible public release in mid November according to Shadow, admin and PSIO engineer over at psxdev.net. They state that it will go on sale to the public shortly after the closed beta has ended.

What is PSIO?

PSIO is simply a cartridge that plugs into your PlayStation 1's Parallel I/O Port (PIO).

It will then let you play your software from an SD card on the console instead of the CD-ROM drive.

Originally it was supposed to be a plug and play cart, but now it will need a detection board soldered in, 9 wires and 3 trace cuts, iirc.

Price may drop, but for now they're locking it at $150 AUD ($108 USD) Price will include shipping to most countries.

For more information please read the FAQ section at  http://ps-io.com/faq/

Here's a video one of the supporters has posted showing how it works. Note that they have also created a fastboot bin file to bypass the startup sequence and go straight to the PSIO loader screen.

[update] 11/13: Beta is at 98%, shouldn't be long now  :jig:

[update 2] 11/22: Beta is at 99%, they have announced pre-orders and have a countdown clock posted on their main page at ps-io.com

[update 3] 12/28: Pre-orders sold out very quickly, but they are expecting to have more for sale in February. Be sure to check back if you missed it the first time around.

[update 4] 2/1: Pushed back to March.

[update 5] 3/1: Pre-orders sold out, will have to wait for the next round.

[Final Update] 3/10: Add to cart function restored. I don't think any more updates are needed from me here. Enjoy!

• Like 3

Cool! I first saw PS1 in store and played Destruction Derby and I was instantly sold! That was the sort of game I have always wanted to see exist, and then there it was in all it's smashing glory! Fun times.

• Like 1

I never actually had one, hell, I didn't even get a PS2 until 2008. But I always like the idea of having a game library available from a list instead of loading disc's one by one.

I also like the nostalgia of gaming on an original console, even/especially if it is modded to work better then OE. So PSIO is right up my alley. 

• Like 1

I never actually had one, hell, I didn't even get a PS2 until 2008. But I always like the idea of having a game library available from a list instead of loading disc's one by one.

I also like the nostalgia of gaming on an original console, even/especially if it is modded to work better then OE. So PSIO is right up my alley. 

Thats pretty badass!  Even though I can emulate psx on 360, xb classic, and ps3, I'd still do this because my OCD wills me to do so. =P

It'll be even cooler once CUE support is implemented.

I still have to get my laser on my HDD hacked ps2 changed out, and begin my modding project on a Dreamcast and finish the modding project on my own xbox classic first though...

• Like 1

Thats pretty badass!  Even though I can emulate psx on 360, xb classic, and ps3, I'd still do this because my OCD wills me to do so. =P

It'll be even cooler once CUE support is implemented.

I still have to get my laser on my HDD hacked ps2 changed out, and begin my modding project on a Dreamcast and finish the modding project on my own xbox classic first though...

From what I read it uses Cue2 or something, but they're thinking of doing something to either automate the conversion on the fly or batch process on the PC.

Why do you need a laser fixed if it's been modded with FHDB? Isn't that why you did the hdd hack?

Never know, they might just move on to DCIO for Dreamcast after this.

edit: I misread, looks like it supports BIN/ISO/IMG files, the cu2 was only for audio tracks. Info found here http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=839

From what I read it uses Cue2 or something, but they're thinking of doing something to either automate the conversion on the fly or batch process on the PC.

Why do you need a laser fixed if it's been modded with FHDB? Isn't that why you did the hdd hack?

Never know, they might just move on to DCIO for Dreamcast after this.

Why replace the laser? BECAUSE! My OCD wills it!!!

hahaha... geez.... It's only like 8 bucks, not really breaking myself for that. When I do stuff  I do it all the way, especially when I was modding 360's, even though No one with RGH or JTAG really needs a DVD drive, I'd still do it regardless because it was something that was broken on a device that in my opinion should have everything fully functional before you can really say its good to go.

The Dreamcast job is a major undertaking, Hard Drive hack, VGA hack, USB port hack,RCA audio port, etc...

The Xbox classic will eventually have the wireless units soldered and secured internally SPIRIT makes a great wireless controller that is compatible after the softmod. ^_^

Eventually I'll do the hard drive upgrade/clone for it, LED's, and the front LCD screen like the one you built. That thing looks EPIC! The funniest part is that I'll probably only use it to play VICE.

• Like 2

hahaha... geez.... It's only like 8 bucks, not really breaking myself for that. When I do stuff I do it all the way, especially when I was modding 360's, even though No one with RGH or JTAG really needs a DVD drive, I'd still do it regardless because it was something that was broken on a device that in my opinion should have everything fully functional before you can really say its good to go.

The Dreamcast job is a major undertaking, Hard Drive hack, VGA hack, USB port hack,RCA audio port, etc...

The Xbox classic will eventually have the wireless units soldered and secured internally SPIRIT makes a great wireless controller that is compatible after the softmod. ^_^

Eventually I'll do the hard drive upgrade/clone for it, LED's, and the front LCD screen like the one you built. That thing looks EPIC! The funniest part is that I'll probably only use it to play VICE.

Just giving you a hard time man, haha. I would probably do the same. Btw, I have some spare parts for slim and phat if you need them.

I internally wired the DVDs ir board to the X3IR and use a relay to switch it on the 4th port. Fun stuff though. Love the OG Xbox. Never wired a wireless controller in though, I like my crystal clear s-type controllers too much, lmao.

Just giving you a hard time man, haha. I would probably do the same. Btw, I have some spare parts for slim and phat if you need them.

I internally wired the tx ir to the DVDs ir board and use a relay to switch them on the 3rd and 4th ports. Fun stuff though. Love the OG Xbox. Never wired a wireless controller in though, I like my crystal clear s-type controllers too much, lmao.

You have a working phat laser for ps2? How much you want for it man? Tracy can't be too far from where you're at, Manteca right?

The SPIRIT wireless controller is and is made by Pelican and is crystal clear too! ^_^http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-Accessories-PL2044-Wireless-Controller-Xbox/dp/B00029LOHM

The only thing lacking is the rumble pack motors, which is where the AA batteries go. It'd be nice if I just Maguyvered a rechargeable Li-Io Battery instead.

I got mine for only 12 bucks at that retro gaming store in Stockton called Gamers ETC

6521 Pacific Ave. Stockton, CA 95207
(209) 474-9690

Lots of good stuff there actually. ^_^

• Like 1

You have a working phat laser for ps2? How much you want for it man? Tracy can't be too far from where you're at, Manteca right?

The SPIRIT wireless controller is and is made by Pelican and is crystal clear too! ^_^http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-Accessories-PL2044-Wireless-Controller-Xbox/dp/B00029LOHM

The only thing lacking is the rumble pack motors, which is where the AA batteries go. It'd be nice if I just Maguyvered a rechargeable Li-Io Battery instead.

I got mine for only 12 bucks at that retro gaming store in Stockton called Gamers ETC

6521 Pacific Ave. Stockton, CA 95207
(209) 474-9690

Lots of good stuff there actually. ^_^

Yeah, it's a 39001 phat. I was going to give it to one of the dev's over at PS2 Scene, but he was in Portugal and the shipping would have been horrendous. You can have the whole unit, pay me if you want, but i'd rather be poor and happy than rich and miserable, lmao. I can also toss in the network adapter, that came free with my 50001 (ir unit) from fleabay. PM me for details if your interested in picking it up.

I also have a slim unit with a clear flip top case, just sitting around collecting dust.

Interesting, thanks for the heads up on the retro game store, didn't know it existed. 

BTW. i've heard quite a few people had problems with internalizing the wireless controllers because of the metal shielding in the xbox, might want to research that a little more before diving in there. I was going to buy/install the Logitech wireless controller, but after reading mixed to poor results with wireless range, (I assume RF) I opted not to. IDK, I might be mistaken though, lolz.

I unfortunately know this feeling only too well!  :evil:

I've pretty much had most xbox original (old xbox, classic xbox, you know the first one... stupid M$!) wireless controllers and the best by far is Mad Catz MicroCon. 15% smaller than standard so might not be ideal for big hands, but performance is solid and on par with 360 controller! No dropouts, no lay, just great performance. The only downside is that it has no auto switch off and I often forget to switch it off so plenty of dead batteries! Thankfully rechargeable so no biggy.

Close runner up is another made by MadCatz, this time full sized s-type called 'HammerHead' (HMT4546). Same great performance AND with the added bonus of auto switch off so no dead batteries! Only reason it finished behind MicroCon is that it feels a bit cheap compared to MicroCon, and because I have girl hands I find the MicroCon more comfortable... oh and it's green and I like green!

• Like 1

I unfortunately know this feeling only too well!  :evil:

I've pretty much had most xbox original (old xbox, classic xbox, you know the first one... stupid M$!) wireless controllers and the best by far is Mad Catz MicroCon. 15% smaller than standard so might not be ideal for big hands, but performance is solid and on par with 360 controller! No dropouts, no lay, just great performance. The only downside is that it has no auto switch off and I often forget to switch it off so plenty of dead batteries! Thankfully rechargeable so no biggy.

Close runner up is another made by MadCatz, this time full sized s-type called 'HammerHead' (HMT4546). Same great performance AND with the added bonus of auto switch off so no dead batteries! Only reason it finished behind MicroCon is that it feels a bit cheap compared to MicroCon, and because I have girl hands I find the MicroCon more comfortable... oh and it's green and I like green!

While everyone has their favorites, and i'm not saying yours aren't good, the logitech has always been a great controller. Wireless, rumble, auto-off, no "lay" and a sturdy construction. These are the main reasons why it's difficult to even find one on fleabay anymore. I have the logitech wireless for my PS2 and it's the most natural feeling controller I have. 

One reason why you see a lot more talk/reviews about madcatz is that they saturated the market (before Android made saturation cool) and made it so easy to come by that every corner drug store had one, haha. I'm not bashing madcatz, I guess I just have my own favs. But, my all-time favorite is still the original s-type, just feels good... Unlike the original "big daddy" (which I still have), lmao.

Thanks for sharing though, always love chatting about the OG Xbox.

• Like 1

my all-time favorite is still the original s-type, just feels good... Unlike the original "big daddy" (which I still have), lmao.

A.K.A. Xbox Duke controller ;)

BTW. i've heard quite a few people had problems with internalizing the wireless controllers because of the metal shielding in the xbox, might want to research that a little more before diving in there. I was going to buy/install the Logitech wireless controller, but after reading mixed to poor results with wireless range, (I assume RF) I opted not to. IDK, I might be mistaken though, lolz.

I'll just remove the heat shield and make some kind of cooling system for it, that and strip this wireless controller dongle down to its board and just mount it on the front of the case from the inside. Its probably not that thick once I've removed the case and cable.

I'd rather do that with that Logitech controller now.....  lol dammit

• Like 1

I'll just remove the heat shield and make some kind of cooling system for it, that and strip this wireless controller dongle down to its board and just mount it on the front of the case from the inside. Its probably not that thick once I've removed the case and cable.

I'd rather do that with that Logitech controller now..... lol dammit

There's a tut out there somewhere on the inter webs that shows the Logitech dongle being placed at the back of the console behind the dvd. I'll see if I can find it and link it, watching Blacklist right now, Lolz.

Ok, so the guy's website is gone... WaybackMachine to the rescue, https://web.archive.org/web/20100116173951/http://rogersmj.com/tech/xbox/hardwiredlogitech/

I guess I didn't remember it all correctly, looks like he placed it on the top near the front of the dvd. The relay that he talks about wiring up for the internal DVD dongle can be found here... http://xboxscene.com/articles/hardwire-dvd-dongle.php Another good one is http://navill.us/xbox/dvddongle.html, and it has the correct schematic for the relay. Don't forget the diode if you do it this way.

I wired my relay up similarly, except I wired the DVD dongle in to the X3IR to utilize it's IR sensor. I used the left over DVD IR on a Raspberry Pi I built for my dad, lolz. I guess I didn't really need to install the relay considering I have the X3 control panel with extra USB ports, but oh well, it was fun.

• Like 2

There's a tut out there somewhere on the inter webs that shows the Logitech dongle being placed at the back of the console behind the dvd. I'll see if I can find it and link it, watching Blacklist right now, Lolz.

Ok, so the guy's website is gone... WaybackMachine to the rescue, https://web.archive.org/web/20100116173951/http://rogersmj.com/tech/xbox/hardwiredlogitech/

I guess I didn't remember it all correctly, looks like he placed it on the top near the front of the dvd. The relay that he talks about wiring up for the internal DVD dongle can be found here... http://xboxscene.com/articles/hardwire-dvd-dongle.php Another good one is http://navill.us/xbox/dvddongle.html, and it has the correct schematic for the relay. Don't forget the diode if you do it this way.

I wired my relay up similarly, except I wired it in to the X3IR to utilize it's IR sensor. I used the left over DVD IR on a Raspberry Pi I built for my dad, lolz. I guess I didn't really need to install the relay considering I have the X3 control panel with extra USB ports, but oh well, it was fun.

Thanks for the really good info bro, I've got a lot of reading to do now.

• Like 2

Yeah I've no doubt the Logitech wireless xbox controller rocks, but unfortunately one has yet to cross my path. I have however used many different wireless controllers for Xbox and they all sucked big time! The Madcatz one's were the only ones that actually worked without dropouts. Never been a fanboy of any company, but just found these works very well for me, but would certainly try Logitech's offering if ever in need of replacement.

If I were a fanboy however, I would actually be an unconscious fanboy of Logitech! One day I noticed looking across my desk that the majority of gear is made by Logitech, and they are all great products!

Keyboard: K360. I was hesitant about getting a wireless keyboard after seeing my mate constantly searching for batteries as his keyboard ate them quicker than I can eat a cookie (and I'm speed mcqueen when it comes to cookie eating!) I've had this keyboard for two, maybe three years now, I leave it switched on 24/7 and I swear I have only had to change the battery once!

Mouse: G5 Laser Mouse. Just a great mouse.

Remote: Harmony One Advanced Universal Remote. Hands down best remote ever owned. Admittedly there were some build issues with early versions, but Logitech send me a replacement, hassle free. 

Sound: Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speaker System - The daddy of all Logitech products! 500-watt RMS THX certified legendary system, which I could sell today six years after purchase, and I wouldn't lose any money!

So there you have it! I'm a Logitech fanboy and I didn't even know it! I don't mind admitting either, as it's extremely rare to find a company I can rave about, so Logitech is one of very few... perhaps in fact the only one to date! 

• Like 2

Logitech has always been a pretty good company in my opinion. I remember when all they had that was worth a crap was their really high and relatively inexpensive mice. The only thing better was anything made by Razor.

I myself have a Logitech K400 that I use for my Kodi Android box (Matricom Gbox Q) and it works great!

I always liked MadCatz also, I have two wireless controllers for my hacked Gamecube (XenoGC modded) and I've never had a problem with them other than needing an occasional battery changeout.

I feel kinda bad right now for hijacking Quatro's thread, I'm sorry bro, I only asked cuzz I know you're probably one of the most knowledgeable people on Xbox classic mods since you did everything you did with your baby. I'm planning on doing many simialar mods in the future... As soon as I break away from pampering my white 1997 Volvo 854 R heh heh.....

• Like 1

Mainly my fault I think as I've gone way off topic, sorry QuattroGam3r! So mid November is almost here, any latest news as to public release of PSIO? Will you be getting one straight away or wait until price comes down a bit?

• Like 1

No problem guys, I don't mind the OT. I'll update the first post again when I hear more about it, so people don't have to wade through comments as much.

Not sure if I'll actually get one, maybe if the price drops below $100, cause I'll still have to get a console with an IO port. Hard to do on county assistance [emoji17]

BTW, I'm not a fanboy of anything in specific, just if something works well, either by design or from modification.
I do have Harmony remotes, started on an 880 when they first came out, but love my One. Had the touchscreen replaced from harmonyremoterepair during their initial run and it works like new. The Ultimate One is horrible though, great concept, bad implementation. If they had stuck with the intuitive button layout of the One, but the function of the Ultimate One (short press/long press buttons), they would've struck gold.

No problem guys, I don't mind the OT. I'll update the first post again when I hear more about it, so people don't have to wade through comments as much.

Not sure if I'll actually get one, maybe if the price drops below $100, cause I'll still have to get a console with an IO port. Hard to do on county assistance [emoji17]

BTW, I'm not a fanboy of anything in specific, just if something works well, either by design or from modification.

I do have Harmony remotes and love my One. Had the screen replaced from harmonyremoterepairs during their initial run and works like new. The Ultimate One is horrible though, great concept, bad implementation. If they had stuck with the intuitive design of the One, with the function of the Ultimate One, they would've struck gold.

My buddy in Stockton might be able to hook you up with a PS1. He has an account here, I'll facebook him and see if he still has some from the last bulk retro hardware trade he did awhile ago. He's pretty easy to please on trades for equipment so I think you're covered. Let me ask him first though.

EDIT

sladezzdragonzz is his name here.

• Like 1

Updated first post to show beta is at 98% and added FAQ link

Also wanted to let people know that they are talking about different purchase options.

• purchase just the PSIO kit
  • purchase a board with the kit already installed (older boards being more expensive then newer boards)
  • send your board in to have the kit installed

Obviously shipping to and from Australia may limit peoples options, but that's why I hope to see distributors/installers.  :unsure:

They do mention however that shipping is free and included in the $149.95 AUD price.

• Like 2

Updated first post to show beta is at 98% and added FAQ link

Also wanted to let people know that they are talking about different purchase options.

• purchase just the PSIO kit
  • purchase a board with the kit already installed (older boards being more expensive then newer boards)
  • send your board in to have the kit installed

Obviously shipping to and from Australia may limit peoples options, but that's why I hope to see distributors/installers.  :unsure:

They do mention however that shipping is free and included in the $149.95 AUD price.

Heh heh heh,  you're really looking forward to this one, I can tell! :D

Reminds me much of myself with my OCD quest in obtaining retro hardware and hacking the shit out of all of them just so I can showcase them one day and say "See all that there? You'll never have cool stuff like that because my antique shit is just plain cooler!"  hahahahah!

Many of my friends are like "Why are you doing this if you can already emulate it on a xbox classic, 360, or jailbroken ps3?"

I'm like "Because I can and because its cool!"

I just wish the cartridge SD memory units for NES/SNES/GENESIS were cheaper or if someone made a cartridge hack that allowed a microSD interface Internally, so I could just turn it on without a cart and still get the same stuff.

• Like 1

Pretty much, Lolz.

One thing I'm not looking forward to is the cost. That's literally like an arm and a leg for me. Maybe I should have a bake sale, lmao.

Pretty much, Lolz.

One thing I'm not looking forward to is the cost. That's literally like an arm and a leg for me. Maybe I should have a bake sale, lmao.

Same situation with all those SD card cartridges. It's going to be nice when someone finally reverse engineers them and starts making their own, forcing the price down.

I can understand getting your money's worth, but some of those guys are just plain greedy...