RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
jackhulk

How to identify what prog is waking my PC up from hibernation?

Hello

Each night I put my PC into hibernation, however, about 2 or 3 times a week when I come to my PC in the morning I find it's awoken itself up! How can I find out which program is causing this please?

Thank you

If you using Windows OS, you can take a look inside the Windows Event Viewer (log), what is happened in the night. It shows You when & why your PC is woke up in the night.

• Like 1

Some likely candidates:

Windows update <--- Especially if you're using Windows 10

Antivirus/Antimalware software

A Virus/Malware

run in a admin cmd:

powercfg -lastwake
Thats give you the info you ask for, like me know if this help you

Edit: I forget to write that this happening most of this:

1) Wake by a external mouse (most the optical), there's an option to avoid this in the mouse properties.

2) Wake by a ethernet card, there's a parameter in the power management options in the properties of the nic if you want to avoid this.

run in a admin cmd:

powercfg -lastwake

There are no detailed information about that, what has caused the wake up. It only gives information how many processes may be responsible, but not what processes there are exactly. The Windows Event log displays detailed information about, which Hard or software processes are responsible for the wake up in the night.

• Like 2

Thanks guys. Unfortunately 'powercfg -lastwake' only states 'wake history count', but no source.

I have attempted to identify what is causing this in the past by viewing the event log, but didn't have any success. Today however I think I've made progress. Time stamp indicates PC wakes from source being "Security-SPP" (Software Protection Platform Service). Just googled this and appears to be related to MS Office. This can be disabled by the following procedure...

1. Click on Start > type "services.msc" in the search field and press enter.

2. In the "Services" window, look for the following entry: Software Protection

3. Double click and set the "Startup type" as "Disabled"

4. Click "apply" and "OK" to validate.

I'd imagine Office or Windows will start crying it if can't 'protect', so I've set startup type to 'Automatic (Delayed Start) instead of completing disabling it, so will see if that resolves issue.

Thank you