RealModScene
HyperGainZ

Connectx and mac

Hello i'm trying tro setup connectx with my xbox but without any luck i enter the correct details in aurora the reboot bot the conx folder wont show up. i havent had the change to test it with a windows machine though but my tv, phone and ipad can see the SMB share on the network and connect to it 

ConnectX might only support Windows shares

don't know why that would matter because ConnectX uses SMB im currently trying to find out if it uses SMB 1 , 2 or 3

don't know why that would matter because ConnectX uses SMB im currently trying to find out if it uses SMB 1 , 2 or 3

Windows use ntlm v1 by default for authentication in smb shares, since maverick osx for default uses ntlm v2, I dont know if connectx uses ntlm v1 or 2 but this can be the issue.

• Like 1

Windows use ntlm v1 by default for authentication in smb shares, since maverick osx for default uses ntlm v2, I dont know if connectx uses ntlm v1 or 2 but this can be the issue.

it can be im gonna look at it now and il let you know when i find something

ok i have found some new info :D i have found to enable NTLM V1 on my mac but no success yet :D

all i found in the log for FSD 3 is that it says that it failed to mount :s so thats something :D

link to site for NTLM v1 support on mac https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6754792

ok i have found some new info :D i have found to enable NTLM V1 on my mac but no success yet :D 

all i found in the log for FSD 3 is that it says that it failed to mount :s so thats something :D

link to site for NTLM v1 support on mac https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6754792 

FSD doesn't know what went wrong with ConnectX, it's a system module that's simply loaded by FSD, it doesn't communicate with it after that (other then using it's virtual mount path to get the contents etc.) so, the fact that it failed to mount the path probably means that ConnectX was unable to connect...

Good luck, I hope you find a solution. 

OS X has used their own implementation of SAMBA since Mavericks, which always caused headaches. I usually try to avoid their SMB2 connections because of that and instead use CIFS which forces SMB1.

While that works good for outgoing connections I have no Idea how to set it up for incoming. I've heard of some people trying to install an app called SMBUp to get around it though.

Your Link no worky   https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6754792, but seems like it might help. However, I would take the advice of the last post in that thread and check your Console on the Mac for clues to the connection failing before assuming it's a NTLM thing and editing plists.

• Like 1

Use wireshark between your xbox and your osx make a packet capture, but try to discard packet garbage by disconnecting from internet (with wifi) close all your apps, In FSD or Aurora change a setting of connectx (no the computer info) just a seconds before press save changes in FSD start the packet capture, when finish and debug says cant mount connectx stop packet capture and analyze the request and answers if you cant analyze the packets, save as pcap and send to me Im very interest in use connectx with linux or osx I hate windows for this job.

• Like 1

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm trying to find an answer to this as well. It's been a while since I was working on this so my memory may be a little fuzzy. I'll be revisiting it soon though.

In my case, I almost feel like it may be in part an internal DNS issue because I wasn't ping by hostname on my LAN from a Windows laptop to a Mac. I flashed my router with DD-WRT and enabled DNSMASQ. I can't remember the exact results right now, but I do recall that the Mac was at least showing in it's logs that the Xbox was trying to connect after that. I forget what messages were in the server logs on the Mac though. I was able to mount share on a Windows laptop after enabling DNSMASQ, but still couldn't from the Xbox.

I became frustrated and impatient and started searching for workarounds. I tried using SMBUP as well as installing an alternate SMB server version. I couldn't get either to work with the Xbox (thought they worked with Windows). I ended up installing VirtualBox on my Mac Mini, then used the Turnkey Linux image of their File Server. After setting it up and sharing the same folder it works without issue, It's a little slow maybe but it's fine enough. I would really like to remove the overhead of running a VM just to share a folder. 

I'm currently running OS X 10.11.2 with Server 5.0.15. Using a specific user dedicated to filesharing and that user was given read/write to the folder. I can mount the share on other Windows laptops, just not on the Xbox with ConnectX.

I plan on testing all of this again in the next week, I'll report back what I find.

EDIT: I did also try adding the com.apple.GSS.NTLM.plist file as recommended in the link provided above. It didn't work for me in SMBUp or any version of SAMBA I installed.

I became frustrated and impatient and started searching for workarounds. I tried using SMBUP as well as installing an alternate SMB server version. I couldn't get either to work with the Xbox (thought they worked with Windows). I ended up installing VirtualBox on my Mac Mini, then used the Turnkey Linux image of their File Server. After setting it up and sharing the same folder it works without issue, It's a little slow maybe but it's fine enough. I would really like to remove the overhead of running a VM just to share a folder. 

I've read before that ConnectX only works with Samba version 3.6. Maybe this is the reason why only Windows users have been able to connect. Interesting that you have gotten it to work using Linux though, you might be the first, lolz. The key most likely lies in either your logs from the mac refusing the connection, or, as @ravasquez has mentioned before, running wireshark to capture packets. 

I run OS X also, so i'll help if I can, but to date I don't think anyone has been successful.

edit: maybe this might be of some help, it's for an older version of OS X, but using homebrew this guy replaced the Apple SMBX stack with Samba's stack. http://blog.helloyama.com/post/77813860132/replacing-the-os-x-109-mavericks-smb-stack-with I checked with Cakebrew and Samba 3.6.25 is the most current version.

• Like 1

I remember seeing that about Samba 3.6 as well, but I found my workaround before attempting it. I wonder how replacing Apple's SMB stack would work since I'm running OS X Server for file sharing. 

As for sharing from Linux, its just a single purpose vm for Windows compatible filesharing. Made by a group called turnkey linux. It boots up and then you configure the shares via web gui. Pretty simple if I remember correctly.  https://www.turnkeylinux.org/fileserver

An update from last night, I installed a new gigabit switch in place of an older wifi/router combo I had been using. My slowness of loading the games via ConnectX is gone! I know the the Xbox only has a 10/100 ethernet port, but the new switch made the world of difference in load times. Still would like to ditch my VM and use the native sharing on the Mac though. 

Below is my smb.conf for the working share using the linux VM. It might be helpful to someone. Not much to it really

[global]

log file = /var/log/samba/samba.log
guest account = nobody
passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd '%g'
admin users = root
obey pam restrictions = yes
delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel '%g'
socket options = TCP_NODELAY
add user to group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -G '%g' '%u'
null passwords = yes
passdb backend = tdbsam
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
wins support = true
dns proxy = no
netbios name = FILESERVER
server string = TurnKey FileServer
default = 360
unix password sync = yes
workgroup = WORKGROUP
os level = 20
add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -m '%u' -g users -G users
auto services = 360
security = user
syslog = 0
panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel -r '%u'
max log size = 1000
pam password change = yes

[360]
writeable = yes
valid users = xbox,@users,@vboxsf
path = /media/sf_360_Games

I remember seeing that about Samba 3.6 as well, but I found my workaround before attempting it. I wonder how replacing Apple's SMB stack would work since I'm running OS X Server for file sharing.

Good point about OS X Server. Since it is a separate app it may bundle its own Samba. However that could also be what is stopping SMBup from working.

I would think you could still disable Samba shares from the Server app and run it instead from OS X, just to test.