RealModScene
Kosti

XBox 360 Noob Questions

Gday Team!
I apologize in advance if this has been covered, but I'm still not clear on a few things and feel my console is somewhat outdated. I will try and keep it short, but want to get it out in one post (flame suit on)

Brief History
Grabbed a X360 Arcade off ebay for the kids and it came with a external HDD and was said to be JTAGGED.

Why am I here
To understand the procudure or order required to update my console and add a internal HDD to replace the external so it keeps it simple for the kids & me ;)

My Journey Begins
OK I started to poke around to understand how and what my XBOX was actually doing upon booting as it has an external HDD. I confirmed that its a Jasper console with a 512MB NAND by using Flash360, what I'm not clear on if its JTAG's or RGH or are they one of the same? Popping open the cover to see if there were any clues and found as the picture below?

IMG_2118_zpstu9i6akl.jpg

I power on the console with the eject button and it started Xell. Must be freebooted right and the external HDD is just there for the GAMES & APPS etc?? ok, so I then connect to XB/Xell via my browser and grabbed my CPU & DVD Keys and store them for safe keeping, while there I also reordered all of my fuse-sets and downloaded my Raw Flash as flashdump.bin & keyvault.bin files to use for future upgrades.

Now that I have my original NAND dump, should I only be using Xell-Reloaded to update to the latest kernel or can I use others like Simple NAND 360 Flasher or NAND Flasher 360 for XBOX 360 v1.2.0? I understand that I need to Xebuild 2.096 to re-patch my original NAND file and get on the latest kernel, but must I update freeBOOT first??

I'm reading at a lot of information on the web some of the links are broken and most is outdated, hence my queries and I was hoping for someone to review and advise the path I should be taking to get a clean install and not have to use an external HDD using up a USB port. Is the external HDD required?

Can I just get a xbox HDD caddy off ebay and install it ontop of the Xbox slot and use this HDD to boot the console and access other apps/files?

My Dashboard system info I have the Kernel 2.0.14719.0, and look as to what the current version is it appears the current version is around the 2.0.17489.0

The EX/HDD has XEXmenu in the quick start and I can also see FSD2 but now I can see that Aurora to be the new dashboard which I like and want to move to this as my boot up dashboard, I grabbed this and also grabbed a lot of other files including stuff to get me going like dash launch 315, freeboot 332, hdd_compat_partition_fixer_v1, J-Runner v3 (5) Core Pack, 360_Content_Manager_3.0, USBXTAFGUI_v44, Xbox-Image-Browser-v2.9.0.345, xeBuild_GUI_2.096, xm360v2.0d, XDX Kit etc..

End Result
What I would like to do and achieve is the following

. Add a 1TB SSD and not use an external HDD - seems straight forward if I buy a shell off fleabay - can I boot off this straight to Aurora
   . Update to latest Kernel DB without breaking JTAG - I've grabbed the required files and method, just need to be sure its ok to proceed or do I need freeboot 0.032 first?
   . Use Aurora 0.5b as main dash board, no MS dashboard and not use FSDv3 at all due to no further updates
   . Would like to install the Angel0fDeaths MAME360 Setup to load the classic arcades and other emulators like SNES (is this what I need)
   . I've use Filezilla to access console - straight forward so will use this to FTP as required
   . Don't want to use actual DISCs so I assume i need understand NXE2GOD and other methods demo games and stuff
   . Need to get my head around DLC, XBLC and all the other goodies I can do

Finally my humble apology for the long and maybe over the top 1st post, I'm like 10yrs too late to console but the kids are growing and ned some entertainment and to give us some piece and quiet, LOL

As mentioned I am just not clear on what patch I have and what precautions I need to take in order to not break the patch/mod otherwise I am pretty confident I can stumble my what through once I know what I can break so just wanting a little few hints

Please let me know if I need to address anything else and or if I need to supply any more details to my huge questions

PEACE
Kosti

This is what you do:

1. Buy a HDD caddy for Xbox 360 (NOT Xbox 360 S or "slim")

2. Install the HDD of your choice, i would NOT recommend using a SSD as some MAY cause your games to crash and whatnot due to it's speed) into the caddy

4. Install the caddy on the console (slide in the backside and bend it down)

5. Start your console without the external HDD connected (this should take you to NXE, if not press the guide button, then the Y button and press and hold RB while you accept the prompt that appears)

6. Go to system settings and find "Memory", there you'll find a "Unformatted Harddrive" (or something like that) format it and follow the on-screen instructions...

7. Run hdd_compat_partition_fixer_v1 from your USB stick and install the Xbox Compatibility files (there's a tutorial for this in the tutorials section)

Now you've got your HDD up and running, next you'll be installing Aurora etc. etc. this is fairly easy...

Just copy the Aurora contents to the consoles hdd, i would recommend putting it as:

HDD1:\Apps\Aurora\aurora.xex

(with all the files next to the xex)

Ok, great! now you've got Aurora installed, you shouldn't set it up for autoboot just yet tho, nor should you try to start it as it'll likely crash (due to your outdated kernel)

For the kernel upgrade read this guide: http://forum.homebrew-connection.org/index.php?topic=144.0 it'll explain everything you need to update your kernel, if you have any questions, feel free to ask me about it, i'll try to help you understand it better if you don't understand something in it...

XBLA games are unlocked using XM360, NXE2GOD is only really useful for when you install a game to the HDD using NXE from a game disc... it converts them to GOD instead, however if memory serves me right Dashlaunch does this patching on-the-fly for you (without changing the original files)

DLC is installed to HDD1:\Content\0000...000\<TitleID of the game it belongs to>\00...02\<DLC file> if memory serves me right, the last folder there might be incorrect as there are a bunch and i keep mixing them up as i barely use them... using 360 Content Manager you'll get all of that correct directly =)

DLC also often requires Title Updates to be installed, getting the latest and it should work, there are a few exceptions tho, some DLC has been deprecated and cause problems in some games when using the latest TU and require additional fixes to get working, or have it's content included in a free "Compatibility Pack", some games also have different TU files for different "versions" of the game (meaning different regional copies basically), so if you face a problem after installing a DLC pack and have the latest TU installed aswell as unlocked with XM360, look around in the forums, if you can't find anything, ask and someone will probably try to help you fix the problem, we've got lot's of helpful people on these forums, i tend to answer most questions but game specifics i don't really know alot of at times as i don't play as much these days)

What you have installed is JTAG, which particular SMC patch you need i can't safely say as whoever installed yours put one of the diods underneath the motherboard, if xeBuild GUI don't understand your NAND, send it to me and i'll analyze it to help you find out how to proceed

Mr Swizzy, hats off mate, thanks for taking the painfull task to read my post and provide the helping hand!

awesome_zps6f11cb1c.jpg

Apparently the seller told me its a RGH but I wasn't able to tell, so hence i went looking for more information. I had a look at xebuild after extracting my NAND via Xell and this is a snap shot using the GUI

xebuildMyXboxNand_zpstd0edevg.jpg

in Xebuild there are a lot of options to edit the NAND files with some added features under the download options. When I grabbed the MS Avatar update the MD5 check was ok, however the Kernel failed, so I assume I don'tsomething wrong.

Also it appears I can add some settings under the options.ini file, should I be setting this up now or just follow the recommendation as provided? Should I be including dashlaunch and other parameters

I will need to wait until i get the caddy from ebay, so this will take a few weeks to come from China, its always slow getting to me from there, so for now I will gather the tools and go through the tuts

Again, thanks for the tools and guides its appreciated support is still provided after so long.

PEACE

Kosti

My tutorial explains everything you should need, anything else is for advanced users...

Cool, thanks so you are refering to the tutorial under the tab in xebuild right? This points me to http://xebuildtut.xeupd.com/ which fails to load and I get the following errors

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

I'm using Firefox lastest build

EDIT - ok i added www at the start and it redirect to homebrew...thanks, will read and build my nand

EDIT 2 - Does this process update both the Kernel to the lastest & dashlaunch to 3.15. Is it important to update the freeBOOT to 0.032?

Finaly does the tutorial cover the option.ini files and launch.ini files etc?

Ta

Cheers

Kosti

The options.ini file you don't need to mess with unless you are an advanced user, most won't need to worry about it's information, if you really want to know how that works, look in the xeBuild one that's included by default, it contains explanations for what each entry means...

launch.ini is the same, except for dashlaunch...

You don't need to download anything NOT mentioned in the guide, it explains everything you need to know to upgrade everything that matters for new games/homebrew

I also linked to the tutorial in my first reply in this thread, perhaps you should take a moment to read through it once more before you continue...

Thanks Swizzy,

I looked at the one u linked but I thought the tut link in xebuild may have been like a manual for xebuild, so thanks again, i've booked marked them as I've ordered my caddy, so I am not going to continue until this comes in, so a few weeks

Appreciate you clearing it up once again - and thanks for taking the time to post

Cheers

Kosti

The tut link in xeBuild also goes to the same one, it's just not working right atm...

Just a brief update, I've yet to obtain my caddy off ebay, so while waiting I found in the local trader a 60GB HDD and plugged this into the xbox

It popped up with a number of profiles obviously from previous owner and I can play some of the games, which I assume are trials of some sort, quick question before I wipe the drive out, can I tranfer the games onto my new HDD or are they linked to the profiles

Thanks

Kosti

You can transfer the games to your HDD and unlock them using XM360...

You can also take the HDD case apart, there is 4 Torx 6 holding the case together, inside you'll find 4 Torx 10 which hold the HDD in place... I would highly recommend looking up a Youtube video on how to take the HDD apart before you get started so you can see how the parts inside are supposed to be positioned, aswell as where to be careful (there's a spring inside that'll easily fly away if you don't pay attention)

Thanks Swizzy, appreciate the effort you go to in helping out

Will try this and get back to you. I did notice in some of the games it wanted to connect online

Thanks

Kosti

Some games are online only, those won't work without messing with things we do not support here

Thanks again, Swizzy

I managed to pull the caddy apart, and just sat it onto of my jtag xbox and ran xm360v2. It scanned the drive and found a whole bunch of files with the lock symbol but I didn't go any further as I am not sure what I am doing and wasn't sure how to move these to my PC to transport them later when I get my new HDD and Caddy, so for now, I've left them alone

I stripped the xbox apart again and took some further picutres of the underneath and saw that it has another diode and I also cleaned and added new thermal paste since this will be on in the kids room a lot, so it must be RGH

I can post a picture if u need Swizzy but for now I am going to wait until the caddy arrived so I can start the steps as you outlined prior. I am a little confused with all the terminology used and just trying to understand if I need to also have a upgrade to the new dashboard the MS just recently pused out and if doing so will update the DVD or should this not be a concern?

I found some great video tuts on Utube by xmodderx if memory serves me right which I will use to go though the motions hopefully in a few weeks

Cheers

Kosti

Open xm360,then hit rescan/all,after which hit unlock (unlock option maybe under xbla button on left side),then find dlc button,hit that & unlock again,you're all set untill you add more dlc or xbla,in which case redo as i just mentioned,now exit

If you have a chip it will be obvious,it's a circuit board added with a bunch of wires soldered around the place,however the screenshot shows you have a jtag which suggests it''s a fat console & the screenshot says jtag not rgh

Search the forum if nothings there start your own thread as your issue has nothing to do with this topic & would be considered hijacking

Hey All

@scorp - sorry for the delay mate, I have been waiting on my caddy and HDD to get back and see what I need as hopefully this week I am finally getting my 1TB HDD to use in my caddy which also finally arrived from Flebay, infact it locks like a real MS one, LOL

TBH I am not sure which unit I have fat or slim? or which Hack  :blushing: I will dig out the underneath picture and post it up for more clues

Did not see any "chip" with wires, only the diodes and so I can only go on what you guys suggest..What is the impact of not knowing which type of hack is provided when upgrading?

Once I get the HDD I will follow the Swizzy tips to install the new HDD and then proceed to update the kernel and dashboard. Should I just use Simple 360 NAND Flasher 1.2 or try the BETA one?

Also as I have the Kinetic setup I will need to update both the Avator and Kinetic files too - Man I hope I don't brick it  :book:

PEACE

Kosti

You've already ascertained it's a jasper & it has a jtag hack "thumbs up" a fat console in other words

Just follow what swizzy posted directly below your very first post,you can worry about updating the xbox's cpu later

the avatar data is easy however you need to get the hdd formatted first,don't forget if you want to play original xbox games like halo 2 etc,you'll need to setup the emulator partition after the drive is formatted,well i usually do it like that as i'm not sure what will happen if i wait till everythings installed

• Like 2

Hey All

Brief update, finally added in the 1TB and caddy into my arcade version, and followed the steps provided by Swizzy, it took a while for the lightbulb moment as I realised I needed Xexmenu to run the hdd_compat_partition_fixer_v1 file :clap:

Can I confirm as per the tutorial when adding the compatibility folder that is goes into HDDX not HDD1 as I see them both mentioned, or is HDD1 where the XB1 titles should go? 

Also is there a newer version than the 2007 of the compatibility files as I read in that thread of a 2011 version could there be a even newer version that I should be adding?

Aurora is a straight forward install just curious is folder naming important - i wish xexmenu had a renamer - does it?

Once I clear up the above I will tackle the kernel and avatar updates

Cheers

Kosti

BTW hey scorpNZ u mentioned updating the Xbox's CPU didn't know you could, or u were refering to the kernel  :huh:

PEACE

Kosti

HDDX is for the compatibility files, the games goes to HDD1

He was probably referring to the kernel as you cannot replace the CPU in the console :p (well, you can, but it's going to be the exact same model, and it only works with hacked machines, and requires specific knowledge to get it to actually boot again)

Ok great so as for version of the compatibility files which is newer is it the 2011 version the last one that was hacked?

What are the differences or does it not matter??

Thanks again

For modded consoles it'd be the hacked one which is i think v1 2007,it's the one i have & it works on halo 2 ok