RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
All

It would be possible to use the 4GB flash memory to ram?

I currently use my console to run linux. And the system is too slow for the little memory available.
Any way to make it faster using the flash memory?

Sorry for my bad english.

• Like 1

What model do you have in the first place? a MMC corona or a Trinity?

From there, you need to know the mountpoint (if there is one) for the 4GB Memory module, MMC would require you to even use a specific offset in order to not break the boot of the console (as the NAND is also on the MMC)

Once you've got the mountpoint you can make Linux use the memory as a swap partition, although it probably won't have much of an effect...

What model do you have in the first place? a MMC corona or a Trinity?

From there, you need to know the mountpoint (if there is one) for the 4GB Memory module, MMC would require you to even use a specific offset in order to not break the boot of the console (as the NAND is also on the MMC)

Once you've got the mountpoint you can make Linux use the memory as a swap partition, although it probably won't have much of an effect...

The model is a Corona.

The available space is about 2,8Gb. The idea would be to use as swap to reduce the load on the main memory.

I will try to locate the mount point.

At first I thought the flash memory would be a good choice, but I believe that reading and writing speed is very low.

You won't be having terribly much luck with the internal memory unit on the corona, infact i would strongly urge you NOT to use it for swap...

Instead, use a USB stick or the internal HDD

This is hopeless.

Flash RAM (USB, MMC) or HD, has a storage bandwidth, which is many times slower than your working Ram on your 360. If you come up with the idea, to outsource parts of the OS which are in the main memory, to a flash or HD storages, your OS will be even slower. Missing main memory, is irreplaceable, and certainly not through flash memory. ;)

• Like 1