RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
noob99

Fatal Crash Intercepted with HDD; launch.ini on HDD

Hello,

Here is an interesting problem, anyone got a solution or a cause of the problem? :D

After the weekend, when booting my Xbox 360 I got a Fatal Crash Interception. I tried to boot multiple times, but with the same result. 
Other forums suggest to boot and press the eject button to unload my plug-ins.  Here is were I got the idea that something is wrong with Dash Launch or with the launch.ini file. But trying this resulted also in the message: "Fatal Crash Intercepted".

After I opened my Xbox 360 and removed the internal 3.5 inch hard drive, the Xbox boots straight into NXE. So something is definitely up with the hard drive. Now I want to delete the launch.ini file, but it is on the hard drive, which I cannot reach/read. When booting the Xbox without HDD and then connecting the HDD results in a reboot and a fatal crash. Stuck again.

Now I was trying to update the NAND... maybe it helps, but the NAND was already updated to kernel 17349.

When I was trying to dump the NAND, I was searching for programs. And I tried three programs: Flash360, NAND flasher for Xbox 360 and Simple 360 NAND Flasher. This resulted into, wtf, three different NAND dumps :o. Is this normal? 

Currently I am out of ideas... Except for swapping the hard drive, but it has too many games on it. Anyone got an idea?

Unplug ur HDD from ur console

Connect it to ur PC

Download this software(Party Buffalo Xbox 360 Drive Explorer) search in google

Open ur HDD and delete launch.ini

Remove ur HDD and Connect it to ur xbox

Hope it will solve ur problem

PS: Dont play with ur NAND it will ruin ur xbox at ur current skill.

All you need to do is put a empty text file named "launch.ini" on a FAT32 formatted USB stick, boot with this in and it'll boot up with the default settings (no plugins etc. etc.) from there you can launch XEXMenu and delete whatever you need to get deleted...

The different dumps could be because you're rebooting your console between each dump?

Thanks for the suggestions. Party Buffalo Xbox 360 Drive Explorer was a big help. I did not try the empty lanuch.ini file, but it also would not help as I will explain.

The Xbox 360 was now working again with the hard drive, but as soon as I installed DashLaunch I got the Fatal Crash Intercepted (FCI) message. So I dumped my NAND and made a new one in J-runner and wrote it back to the Xbox. And as soon as I installed DashLaunch... the FCI message appeared again. 

For now it is working, I boot to XeXMenu and then select my game... no problem at all. 

The Xbox 360 was configured with DashLaunch to start Aurora automatically. Now is the question has anybody got an idea why I got the FCI message after installing DashLaunch?

Thanks for the suggestions. Party Buffalo Xbox 360 Drive Explorer was a big help. I did not try the empty lanuch.ini file, but it also would not help as I will explain.

The Xbox 360 was now working again with the hard drive, but as soon as I installed DashLaunch I got the Fatal Crash Intercepted (FCI) message. So I dumped my NAND and made a new one in J-runner and wrote it back to the Xbox. And as soon as I installed DashLaunch... the FCI message appeared again. 

For now it is working, I boot to XeXMenu and then select my game... no problem at all. 

The Xbox 360 was configured with DashLaunch to start Aurora automatically. Now is the question has anybody got an idea why I got the FCI message after installing DashLaunch?

Let me explain why it would've worked with the empty launch.ini:

On your HDD you had a launch.ini file, but if you have one on a USB drive during startup, that file will override any settings of any other file... (they're ignored) and, since the error originates from a bad setting/plugin this would've solved the problem...

Let me explain why it would've worked with the empty launch.ini:

On your HDD you had a launch.ini file, but if you have one on a USB drive during startup, that file will override any settings of any other file... (they're ignored) and, since the error originates from a bad setting/plugin this would've solved the problem...

Okay, did not know that. Though I am still not convinced ;) (maybe i should try it, but I can not at the moment..)

Since DashLaunch knows launch.ini file is saved at the hdd. The second why it sould prefer an empty launch.ini file over a configured one, unless this is done on purpose, as a fail-safe. In that case its make sense :)

Okay, did not know that. Though I am still not convinced ;) (maybe i should try it, but I can not at the moment..)

Since DashLaunch knows launch.ini file is saved at the hdd. The second why it sould prefer an empty launch.ini file over a configured one, unless this is done on purpose, as a fail-safe. In that case its make sense :)

When dashlaunch starts, it has no clue where your launch.ini is located, so it'll look for them on various devices in a specific order starting with USB devices, and yes, it's for a failsafe... once it finds a launch.ini file, it'll load that and stop looking (it only looks for launch.ini in the root of each device tho, meaning USB0:\launch.ini and not USB0:\Somefolder\launch.ini)

You should really believe more in what admins on this site tell you, there is a good reason for us to be admins... we're a pretty big part of the community, we know just about everything we need to know about things, and most of us don't say things without knowing what we're talking about, when we're not sure, we generally say so, Moderators also generally know what they're talking about

When dashlaunch starts, it has no clue where your launch.ini is located, so it'll look for them on various devices in a specific order starting with USB devices, and yes, it's for a failsafe... once it finds a launch.ini file, it'll load that and stop looking (it only looks for launch.ini in the root of each device tho, meaning USB0:\launch.ini and not USB0:\Somefolder\launch.ini)

You should really believe more in what admins on this site tell you, there is a good reason for us to be admins... we're a pretty big part of the community, we know just about everything we need to know about things, and most of us don't say things without knowing what we're talking about, when we're not sure, we generally say so, Moderators also generally know what they're talking about

Sorry, my bad. Just critical thinking and the urge to understand. Thank you for helping, I am a little wiser now :)

Sorry, my bad. Just critical thinking and the urge to understand. Thank you for helping, I am a little wiser now :)

like Swizzy said.. cOz even has in the release notes of dashlaunch i believe, dashlaunch is set to look for a launch.ini on USB first.. so if there is a problem with it, the settings can be over-written.. now, if you used Jrunner to build your nand, there is an option to include dashlaunch already.. which would be 3.15.. you installing a "unofficial" version (which are floating around) could have caused the issue.. now this might not be the issue, but it hasn't been talked about this thread particularly.. so i figured i'd include that, because well, people don't like to read much..

• Like 1

like Swizzy said.. cOz even has in the release notes of dashlaunch i believe, dashlaunch is set to look for a launch.ini on USB first.. so if there is a problem with it, the settings can be over-written.. now, if you used Jrunner to build your nand, there is an option to include dashlaunch already.. which would be 3.15.. you installing a "unofficial" version (which are floating around) could have caused the issue.. now this might not be the issue, but it hasn't been talked about this thread particularly.. so i figured i'd include that, because well, people don't like to read much..

Most of the time, this is caused by bad settings/plugins in combination with a unofficial dashlaunch, with a good set of settings (defaults are generally good for that) the unofficially patched ones may work fine...

Most of the time, this is caused by bad settings/plugins in combination with a unofficial dashlaunch, with a good set of settings (defaults are generally good for that) the unofficially patched ones may work fine...

i agree with ya mate, just figured i'd throw that other info out there.. because as we have seen, the law of the hammer, gets proven constantly.. haha

• Like 1

i agree with ya mate, just figured i'd throw that other info out there.. because as we have seen, the law of the hammer, gets proven constantly.. haha

But the Xbox was running just fine. I did not do anything to the NAND or DashLaunch for at least half a year. So why the sudden trouble?

And for the settings of DashLaunch, I used the default settings and only changed the "default path" to Aurora. 

Also I did a clean install of the NAND without DashLaunch and installed DashLaunch via the Xbox. But I will try to install DashLaunch via J-runner. I let you know if it resolves my problem and update on other things I tried.

• Like 1

Things happen sometimes with HDD's which causes a slight corruption, with you removing your launch.ini you may have fixed the problem, maybe it had gotten corrupted or something?

It's hard to tell what exactly caused the problem

On 9/7/2015 at 8:50 PM, Swizzy said:

All you need to do is put a empty text file named "launch.ini" on a FAT32 formatted USB stick, boot with this in and it'll boot up with the default settings (no plugins etc. etc.) from there you can launch XEXMenu and delete whatever you need to get deleted...

The different dumps could be because you're rebooting your console between each dump?

thanks a lot swizzy! I've been struggling with my xbox all day and this is the solution...

On 9/8/2015 at 7:49 PM, noob99 said:

But the Xbox was running just fine. I did not do anything to the NAND or DashLaunch for at least half a year. So why the sudden trouble?

And for the settings of DashLaunch, I used the default settings and only changed the "default path" to Aurora. 

Also I did a clean install of the NAND without DashLaunch and installed DashLaunch via the Xbox. But I will try to install DashLaunch via J-runner. I let you know if it resolves my problem and update on other things I tried.

it happened to me ..I also did nothing man

I have already tried every solution there is or what I could find none of them worked at all and all I did was accidentally set the wrong plug and now I can't fix it and don't have the money to send it off to someone who knows how to do ever thing possible to it

9 hours ago, bossman20171 said:

I have already tried every solution there is or what I could find none of them worked at all and all I did was accidentally set the wrong plug and now I can't fix it and don't have the money to send it off to someone who knows how to do ever thing possible to it

You haven't tried every solution.. the simplest way, put a default launch.ini on a USB drive.. poof problem fixed 😁

Hi, I have the exact problem but I can't run the launch.ini file from usb it looks like it uses the hdd as first option because I tried with multiple usb and everytime i connect my hard drive it gets stuck in the main logo screen... Can you help me? or shoud I create a new post? Thanks

Edited by TechX