RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
jeffmangum

Forwarding ports for system link over carrier grade NAT?

My ISP refreshed all their IPs and made them public. Making it impossible to forward ports.

Is there a workaround for this? Requesting for a static ip on my ISP cause an awful lot of money per month!

UPDATE:

I just contacted my ISP.. turns out.. this year they changed their system and no longer be able to port forward for everyone unless you pay them a lot of money every month to have a static IP. turns out everyone is public IP now.

try a free VPN/proxy.. this has helped out people with before with the issue of ISP blocking ports

try a free VPN/proxy.. this has helped out people with before with the issue of ISP blocking ports

Turns out were under "carrier grade NAT" which makes it impossible to forward ports.

SO THATS WHY ports are failing!! Its the ISP's fault!

Turns out were under "carrier grade NAT" which makes it impossible to forward ports.

SO THATS WHY ports are failing!! Its the ISP's fault!

and a VPN will bypass your ISP blocking the stuff.. like i said, that has helped out people in the situation you are having

and a VPN will bypass your ISP blocking the stuff.. like i said, that has helped out people in the situation you are having

any discussions you can link? i'll try to do it.. did they have the exact same issue? carrier grade nat too? cause ive been searching about solutions but theres none.. its just people complaining to the ISP.

have you tried using upnp option. I have not encountered that grade of nat, but would assume that it would support upnp. upnp forwards the ports for you, so you dont have to. the ports will probably fail, but if upnp passes, you are probably good. :) test it with a friend, and host a game in a private room. if they can join it is working. either way, you should still be able to join games either way. :)

have you tried using upnp option. I have not encountered that grade of nat, but would assume that it would support upnp. upnp forwards the ports for you, so you dont have to. the ports will probably fail, but if upnp passes, you are probably good. :) test it with a friend, and host a game in a private room. if they can join it is working. either way, you should still be able to join games either way. :)

Well my router isnt upnp enabled.. lets assume it is.. will i still play games on link even if ports failed to be forwarded? ive read some forums that our isp really doesnt allow port forwarding anymore just this year cause they ran out of ip addresses. 

Well my router isnt upnp enabled.. lets assume it is.. will i still play games on link even if ports failed to be forwarded? ive read some forums that our isp really doesnt allow port forwarding anymore just this year cause they ran out of ip addresses.

Playing doesn't need portforwarding, portforwarding is only required for when YOU are the server (when you host)

Playing doesn't need portforwarding, portforwarding is only required for when YOU are the server (when you host)

Ok that makes sense. If thats the case why do we have to forward ports in the first place? So i still have a chance? Cause im losing hope tbh.

Ok that makes sense. If thats the case why do we have to forward ports in the first place? So i still have a chance? Cause im losing hope tbh.

It's only required for hosting, when you're hosting a game... when you just want to join someone else, you shouldn't need the portforward... it might help in some cases, but shouldn't be required...

It's only required for hosting, when you're hosting a game... when you just want to join someone else, you shouldn't need the portforward... it might help in some cases, but shouldn't be required...

If thats the case, its ok to have "fail" results on the ports part of the system link test? ANd why cant i see the rooms in-game when i go to system link? But i can join on the system link menu.

If thats the case, its ok to have "fail" results on the ports part of the system link test? ANd why cant i see the rooms in-game when i go to system link? But i can join on the system link menu.

Yes, it's ok, as long as you're only playing and not hosting...

I cannot tell you why yours don't work, i'm not a networking expert, so i can't really tell you what to do in order to solve the problem, you could try with a free VPN service see if it makes things work that way...

I cannot tell you why yours don't work, i'm not a networking expert, so i can't really tell you what to do in order to solve the problem, you could try with a free VPN service see if it makes things work that way...

So having failed ports on the test will still allow you to join rooms and play with pther link users? Well no rooms are shown in-game. It has always been like that even before my isp changed. When ports are failed, u cant see the rooms.

A free vpn wont suffice they say. Or im not sure how to setup vpn cause u cant install vpn to the xbox itself.

try setting VPN up on your PC, and then sharing your connection from the PC to the Xbox. then all network traffic gets routed from the xbox to the PC, then to the VPN, then to the internet. :)

• Like 2

try setting VPN up on your PC, and then sharing your connection from the PC to the Xbox. then all network traffic gets routed from the xbox to the PC, then to the VPN, then to the internet. :)

Do you have a tutorial for that? And what vpn i should use? Sorry i have no idea on how to use vpn specifically for port forwarding.

Im sorry but this post kinda stuck on me.. Did you just say its ok to have failed the test on the ports? Cause when you look at all the link support threads, they're always looking for a pass on those test. and thats mainly the indicator that link will work.

Im sorry but this post kinda stuck on me.. Did you just say its ok to have failed the test on the ports? Cause when you look at all the link support threads, they're always looking for a pass on those test. and thats mainly the indicator that link will work.

Yes, i said it was ok, why? because they only check if they're forwarded, most try to get ALL functions working, now, if you can open the ports, you should be able to both host and play... it's not required to connect to others...

Yes, i said it was ok, why? because they only check if they're forwarded, most try to get ALL functions working, now, if you can open the ports, you should be able to both host and play... it's not required to connect to others...

Well thats great to hear.. but it has always been like that before.. every time i dont see any rooms in-game, that usually means the port tests are failed.. and thats always true when i was still playing on LINK. 

Anyway, why cant i see the rooms in-game then? (i can still join on the sytsem link menu when you press the xbox orb). What do you think I should do? I hope i really can get back to link..

Well thats great to hear.. but it has always been like that before.. every time i dont see any rooms in-game, that usually means the port tests are failed.. and thats always true when i was still playing on LINK. 

Anyway, why cant i see the rooms in-game then? (i can still join on the sytsem link menu when you press the xbox orb). What do you think I should do? I hope i really can get back to link..

well i'd say it is like this.. start small.. use 1 person lobbies.. trying to look for a specific game.. jumping into public lobby looking for a game and it not showing up could be because of their game being full.. started a game and it hasn't reflected.. there are a few reasons why you cant see games besides failing ports..

well i'd say it is like this.. start small.. use 1 person lobbies.. trying to look for a specific game.. jumping into public lobby looking for a game and it not showing up could be because of their game being full.. started a game and it hasn't reflected.. there are a few reasons why you cant see games besides failing ports..

That makes.. sense actually. cause I always go to the most number of people on the lobby.. I hope this works! Ill try when I get home from work.. I hope theres a lobby with just 1 person..

If you have any friends, that'd be the best way to check it, have them setup a game for you to try and join... if you can see it, it's working, if not... it's not working...

Using randoms isn't going to be a good way to check if it's working or not... you want to KNOW there is a game hosted that isn't started yet in the room you're in... also, try different games, see if ANY game is working...

If you have any friends, that'd be the best way to check it, have them setup a game for you to try and join... if you can see it, it's working, if not... it's not working...

Using randoms isn't going to be a good way to check if it's working or not... you want to KNOW there is a game hosted that isn't started yet in the room you're in... also, try different games, see if ANY game is working...

Ive no friends with system link. Are you on it by any chance? so you can set it up for me.. if that isnt much trouble hehe

Your best bet is to join irc and check if someone is online that can help you, i rarely ever play on LiNK personally, and i've got a ton of things to deal with already...