RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
bloodyrawr

Please help me understand Coverflow XML code

UPDATE:

I'm updating this post in case someone else might need it.

x = -left, +right
y = -down, +up
z = -zoom in, +zoom out

CameraPos = position of the camera; know that if you set the view of your collection too close, when you select a game, the selected game's box art might be too close to the camera or end up being cut off (or, worse, seemingly disappear). +4.5 is the closest I recommend.

CameraAim = the aim of the camera; i.e. if you aim it down, you'll be looking "down" on your collection, seeing their tops.

RightPos = position of the group of games to the right of the highlighted game. Raise the +x if you want to put a space between your highlighted game and the right group of games.

LeftPos = position of the group of games to the left of the highlighted game. "Raise" the -x if you want to put a space between your highlighted game and the left group of games.

CenterPos = position of the center (highlighted) game. Raise the +z if you want it closer to the screen, but know that if it gets too close, pushing up the right thumbstick to see the game's back cover might end up being too big...not to mention the size of the box once you actually select it to see the game's details.

rowCenterPos = the focal point of the row of games.

LeftSpace = spacing between the group of games on the left side.

RightSpace = spacing between the group of games on the right side.

LeftAngle = angle of the set of games on the left.

RightAngle = angle of the set of games on the right.

CenterAngle = angle of the center (highlighted) game.

rowCenterAngle = I have no idea; didn't touch this. lol

FadeFactor data = to fade the side-most games in the view; the lower the number, the higher the fade.

I was confused what all these meant because I thought I could also control the size, angle, and position of the highlighted box cover when I viewed its back by pushing the right thumbstick up, as well as the size of the box once I've selected a game (the detail view), so I misinterpreted CameraAim, LeftAngle, and RightAngle.

See also Swizzy's more straightforward guide in post #4.

ORIGINAL POST:

Hi everyone. I'm trying to create my own coverflow layout for FSD, but I've tried for days now and I still can't make sense of each item. Whenever I do figure out something, another question mark pops up and I get confused again.

I just need something descriptive for each item, and what the X, Y, Z axes represent.

This is from one of the original layouts:
<CameraPos x="0" y="0.5" z="5" />
<CameraAim x="0" y="0" z="-2" />
<RightPos x="1" y="0" z="0" />
<LeftPos x="-1" y="0" z="0" />
<CenterPos x="0" y="0" z="1" />
<rowCenterPos x="0" y="0" z="0" />
<LeftSpace x="-1" y="0" z="0" />
<RightSpace x="1" y="0" z="0" />
<LeftAngle x="0" y="0" z="0" />
<RightAngle x="0" y="0" z="0" />
<CenterAngle x="0" y="0" z="0" />
<rowCenterAngle x="0" y="0" z="0" />
<FadeFactor data="15" />

I'd appreciate something like:
CameraPos - position of the camera looking at the listed games - x for vertical, y for horizontal, z for rotation
CameraAim - position of the camera looking at the highlighted game
RightPos - position of the...right side set of the games??

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I already tried the past 3 days looking for FSD coverflow tutorials, but couldn't find any. Everybody seems to be moving on to Aurora, but I still prefer FSD because it's easier to mess around with without necessarily knowing how to code.
Edited by bloodyrawr

Hi everyone. I'm trying to create my own coverflow layout for FSD, but I've tried for days now and I still can't make sense of each item. Whenever I do figure out something, another question mark pops up and I get confused again.

P.S. I already tried the past 3 days looking for FSD coverflow tutorials, but couldn't find any. Everybody seems to be moving on to Aurora, but I still prefer FSD because it's easier to mess around with without necessarily knowing how to code.

haha.. not knowing code.. lolz.. 

http://www.realmodscene.com/index.php?/topic/5256-aurora-coverflow-editor-cfeditdll/

To explain them, the X axis is left/right, Y axis is up/down, and the Z axis is the zoom factor i guess? i'm no expert in the 3D co-ordinate system, but... it works the same as any math would do ;)

CameraPos - Position of the camera

CameraAim - Angle/Direction of the camera

RightPos - The position of the "right" side covers, the ones that belong on the right side of the center cover

LeftPos - The position of the "left" side covers, the ones that belong on the left side of the center cover

CenterPos - The position of the "center" cover(s), the center cover(s)

rowCenterPos - The position of the center row, 0 means behind the center cover

LeftSpace/RightSpace - The spacing between each cover (Left and Right)

LeftAngle/RightAngle - The angle of each cover (Left and Right)

CenterAngle - The angle of the center cover

rowCenterAngle - The angle of the center row

FadeFactor - How much they should fade, or perhaps the shadow? (i'm not sure about this one exactly)

• Like 1

Yep, saw that. Unfortunately, all Aurora skins I've seen so far all look the same with just different colors. :)

apparently you didn't read what it does.. as that isn't a skin.. but the coverflow editor, to help you understand what it all means ;-)

for example, you create the style you want, then copy the values ;-) and poof FSD custom coverflow hahaa..

altho.. i dunno if it will or not, create it for you.. to use with FSD.. but you can always use the values ;-)

Awesome, Swizzy! I have a couple questions:

1. What about the "backcover flip" for the highlighted item when you push up the R thumb stick during the row view? I know it has no entry, but which one of these would affect that the most? Because I've managed to get something working, row view-wise, but when I flip the backcover, it gets too all up in my face. lol It's too close. I just want to frame it.

2. I also want to correctly frame cover for the gave I've selected (when it's the only one showing, angled + game description). Like #1, I've managed to get something working row view-wise, but when I select a game, it gets too close to the screen and/or part of it ends up being cut off.

**I kind of have a feeling this is just how FSD's coverflow works.

I'll use your guide when I start tinkering again with this tonight. Thank you!

apparently you didn't read what it does.. as that isn't a skin.. but the coverflow editor, to help you understand what it all means ;-)

for example, you create the style you want, then copy the values ;-) and poof FSD custom coverflow hahaa..

altho.. i dunno if it will or not, create it for you.. to use with FSD.. but you can always use the values ;-)

I did read what it does, but I just thought you were saying something else -- that I should just migrate to Aurora because of its live coverflow editor.

But now I understand what you were suggesting all along. I actually might just try that! Aurora's coverflow version has too many entries for what FSD allows, but it might just work! If not, I have Swizzy's guide at the very least. :D

I did read what it does, but I just thought you were saying something else -- that I should just migrate to Aurora because of its live coverflow editor.

But now I understand what you were suggesting all along. I actually might just try that! Aurora's coverflow version has too many entries for what FSD allows, but it might just work! If not, I have Swizzy's guide at the very least. :D

nah.. wasn't saying that.. BUT you could save 1 in the CFLeditor.. then look at it with notepad++(or equiv) and get an understanding of the differences..

or you could do the easier thing and switch lol.. and just use your custom layout with those extra bits you say FSD doesn't support..

either way good luck m8..

@felida:

Tried your suggestion just now. Aurora vs. FSD's numbers interpret differently. It would be pointless (for now) to try to "get an understanding of the differences," because I don't even understand FSD's coverflow numbers completely just yet. That would only make me more confused. The point of this post is because I want to understand FSD's coverflow, not Aurora's, so FSD gets priority.

P.S. Right now, I have no plans to switch over to Aurora. In its current state, and this is just my opinion, as far as Aurora's UI goes, it's too closed for my liking. It's like iOS vs. Android. There's very little you can do to truly customize your Aurora; the skins that I've seen all look the same, just with different paint jobs. I feel like it's a step back from FSD, just UI-wise; the other perks, "engine-wise," are fantastic, however.

@Swizzy:

Now I'm gonna use your guide. Once I'm done and get a better understanding, I'll probably edit my OP to reflect it to hopefully help others looking for the same answer.

P.S. Right now, I have no plans to switch over to Aurora. In its current state, and this is just my opinion, as far as Aurora's UI goes, it's too closed for my liking. It's like iOS vs. Android. There's very little you can do to truly customize your Aurora; the skins that I've seen all look the same, just with different paint jobs. I feel like it's a step back from FSD, just UI-wise; the other perks, "engine-wise," are fantastic, however.

What kind of customizations is it you're looking for? i mean, you can do any skin modifications you want just like you do in FSD, both of them use the same UI system, the difference is that the Aurora skin looks different by default and most (not all) skinners wanted to base it on that...

This skin for instance looks very different when it comes to the settings/information screen(s): http://www.realmodscene.com/index.php?/topic/5270-new-skin-aurora-one-home-style-xbox-one-multilingual-coverflow-update-29072015/ the same goes for this one: http://www.realmodscene.com/index.php?/topic/5304-new-skin-aurora-style-windows-81-start-multilingual-update-23052015/

Just because nobody decided to change the main UI look and feel doesn't mean it's not possible...

@Swizzy:

Have you seen Idefix's MetroStyle for FSD3? That's the kind of customization I'm looking for. I do realize a lot of things are possible with Aurora, that's why I keep saying "for now" I have no plans to migrate. I still like FSD3 and am comfortable with it. No Aurora skins have really caught my attention yet, but I'm sure that day will come. Besides, I'm still too attached to my own personalized FSD skin. heh

Anyway, I've updated my OP for future reference.

Have you seen Idefix's MetroStyle for FSD3?

Can't say i have =/

@Swizzy:

Have you seen Idefix's MetroStyle for FSD3? That's the kind of customization I'm looking for. I do realize a lot of things are possible with Aurora, that's why I keep saying "for now" I have no plans to migrate. I still like FSD3 and am comfortable with it. No Aurora skins have really caught my attention yet, but I'm sure that day will come. Besides, I'm still too attached to my own personalized FSD skin. heh

Anyway, I've updated my OP for future reference.

i've used that skin.. you might want to try the windows 8.1 skin.. as that is the closest one to it.. for Aurora.. 

http://www.realmodscene.com/index.php?/topic/5304-new-skin-aurora-style-windows-81-start-multilingual-update-23052015/

but yeah.. there are some others floating around.. you could modify them to look similar to the Metro dash..