RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
_SCORPION_

[Help] Change X360 Cooling Fan

Hi again!

for some reasons i had to change my Console's Cooling Fan. since i couldnt find Original X360 Trinity Fan, so i bought an Intel CPU fan that is exactly same size with original X360 Fan. btw problem is how to reconect wires! cuse the colors doesn't match together.

this is X360 Wire's Fan :

X360.jpg

and this is New Fan and wires :

xFan.jpg

i donnow how to connect these wires at all! please Help me guys.

connect the same colors.. and red to green, see if that works..  

• Like 1

The black one is probably ground, the others... your guess is as good as mine...

They're not likely to be compatible tho... fans today have speed info and/or heat info... normally a fan would only need 2 wires: + and - (VCC and GND)

connect the same colors.. and red to green, see if that works..

That is a bad idea, it's better to find the pinout of the fan and connecting VCC/GND only... on the console that is RED (VCC) and Black (GND)

• Like 1

Well i found something.

I think The red wire on X360 is +12v, blue is +5v and black is -

On Fan, yellow is + and black is -

Because Connecting fan to red and black ( on X360) make it work fast, and connecting to red and blue work slow.

But i want speed control work like original Fan.

I aslo cheked the other ways with wires but no answer. Damn it, its too complicated

I guess i should connect it via that 2 wires without having speed control :|

Well i found something.

I think The red wire on X360 is +12v, blue is +5v and black is -

On Fan, yellow is + and black is -

Because Connecting fan to red and black ( on X360) make it work fast, and connecting to red and blue work slow.

But i want speed control work like original Fan.

I aslo cheked the other ways with wires but no answer. Damn it, its too complicated

I guess i should connect it via that 2 wires without having speed control :|

That's probably NOT going to work with a non standard fan and/or a 3:rd party fan design specifically for Xbox 360

• Like 1

Hi again!

for some reasons i had to change my Console's Cooling Fan. since i couldnt find Original X360 Trinity Fan, so i bought an Intel CPU fan that is exactly same size with original X360 Fan. btw problem is how to reconect wires! cuse the colors doesn't match together.

this is X360 Wire's Fan :

X360.jpg

and this is New Fan and wires :

xFan.jpg

i donnow how to connect these wires at all! please Help me guys.

Yellow is 12VDC, Black is ground, Blue is speed control or sensor, green is speed control or sensor. if you remember the order they were in on the original connector this schematic will tell you

EDIT

Found your answer here

Black = Ground

Yellow = 12VDC

Green = Fan Speed Sensor

Blue = PWM Control

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/how-to-create-a-three-speed-fan-control-without-spending-a-dime/

ANOTHER EDIT

Should you decide to just solder it to alternat power points on the board and make it always at its max setting like I did with an old chipset fan, here is another link that will aid you in your quest

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?/topic/613160-power-sources/

post-56760-0-66217300-1438050641_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Yellow is 12VDC, Black is ground, Blue is speed control or sensor, green is speed control or sensor. if you remember the order they were in on the original connector this schematic will tell you

EDIT

Found your answer here

Black = Ground

Yellow = 12VDC

Green = Fan Speed Sensor

Blue = PWM Control

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/how-to-create-a-three-speed-fan-control-without-spending-a-dime/

ANOTHER EDIT

Should you decide to just solder it to alternat power points on the board and make it always at its max setting like I did with an old chipset fan, here is another link that will aid you in your quest

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?/topic/613160-power-sources/

Thank you very much,

but this is fu*king annoying, according to these topics (below photo), if i connect Yellow to Yellow and Black to Black, it should work with max speed(12v) but damn it doesnt work.

on My X360, Red is +12, Blue is +5, Black is GND and Yellow not work at all.

PWR.jpg

That's probably NOT going to work with a non standard fan and/or a 3:rd party fan design specifically for Xbox 360

agree with you, btw ill check the new guidance but my guess is this fan is not compatible with X360. so there is no hope to having Speed Control !

Thank you very much,

but this is fu*king annoying, according to these topics (below photo), if i connect Yellow to Yellow and Black to Black, it should work with max speed(12v) but damn it doesnt work.

PWR.jpg

Are you seriously basing the colors of the FAN wires on colors in these pics?!

That's wrong... you need to know what the fans connect to, these are user made... they didn't give a f*ck about cable colors, the explanations are on the pics... Also, these points are for a Phat console while you have a Slim console

The info supplied to you by static is for the Intel fan, not the Xbox fan...

• Like 2

Thank you very much,

My mistake I didn't see he mentioned Trintiy, Scorpion, the thumb and first link are on your intel fan as is the color code I listed as to what the colors do. Don't think xbox color code on Intel wiring. It's totally DIFFERENT!

What youd want is to find a picture of what the pinout on your slim fan looks like and what wires correspond to the same positioning that the Intel fan uses (That'd be you best bet) unless you have a schematic of the slim fan wiring itself. if the keyed connector is the same it might work but I'd just as soon as use the original for the fan unless you're doing some other custom mod.

I hope this is helpful to you in your struggle.

Here's the layout for a Slim board if you want to use it for an auxiliary fan.

https://xbox-experts.com/tutorial/power-sources-and-mainboard-layout-xbox-360-slim/

EDIT

Okay, so after some looking I found a picture of a fan connector that you can use to do your pinout.

Only thing is this I think though. You won't get low speeds with it, in fact it will alway be at max speed if you build the connector to it. the green wire you won't need (DOn't cut it, just don't attach it and insulate the end so that it wont short anything) It will wind up becoming a 12 volt fan mod, the blue wire  will be for speed control (I think) because the temp sensor is on the board itself (at least on the phats and I don't see M$ changing that)

So use yellow black blue, if the speed control doesnt work, I'd insulate that too since that's what I did on the chipset fan for the secondary CPU heatsink on a Falcon.

Here's a pic of what the stock fan wiring order is, with that pinout, if you're in doubt, bust out a multimeter and test for the 12 volt (Should be yellow) and 5 volt (Should be red) rail. Your fan doesnt have 5VDC on it. I hope this is helpful.

post-56760-0-36623900-1438085521_thumb.png

• Like 2

My God, You did great man. Thank you very very much

complete and useful information, specially power mapping images. i save them to pc. very efficient

right now i connect Intel Fan with Max speed and works perfect, at least CPU temp is always under 56c :)

thanks again, youre cool dude :D

• Like 1

My God, You did great man. Thank you very very much

complete and useful information, specially power mapping images. i save them to pc. very efficient

right now i connect Intel Fan with Max speed and works perfect, at least CPU temp is always under 56c :)

thanks again, youre cool dude :D

I try to help when I can. I'm glad it helped you out. People could probably use the same pinout, More or less for a simple water cooling pump and exhaust fan since those are run on the same voltages. Something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103179

But they'd most likely need a custom water block from EK or something to that extent. Too expensive for a console in my opinion, I have Corsair H101i in my server and it keeps it at 32C idle and 48C with both my dual SLI Asus GTX 660 TI OC cards overclocked and running at max.

• Like 2