RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
jeffmangum

Its been 7 months, I still can't get back to LINK, will changing router do the trick?

Ive been playing on Link seamlessly before. Some failed ports a few times so i have to switch but i can get back to it at no time. But on december, it went completely down on me. 

I made this thread on April: http://www.realmodscene.com/index.php?/topic/5139-help-me-get-back-on-system-link/

Im just wondering if there are new changes? Maybe i have to update for link to work? Also, i think updating wont even work so the only option now here is buy a new router. 

Do you think that would do it? Maybe i should buy a popular router. Maybe something with UPNP support? DO you think that would work? What brand do u recommend?

• Like 1

Before buying a new router, I would see if you can at least reset settings back to default in your current router. You may need to reconfigure some things, but you're going to do that with a new router anyway. Good practice for knowing how to setup a network too. If you are having ip conflicts, that would clear them, and any other lease issues out.

I would also look for a DHCP Reservation setting. That way you only set device ip's from your router once, and no other device can conflict with it... ever. I like that better than static ip's personally. No matter how many reboots my router goes through, each and every device is always on the ip address i expect it to be on. I have about 15-20 devices on reservation, and leave 10 addresses open for people visiting with tablets, computers and phones. 

I would also stick with port forwarding, it just gives you more control over ports than UPNP, but that's just a personal preference.

Make sure you are running F3 3.0.775 (rev 775) or Aurora to begin with

If that fails, it's likely going to work better with a new router as yours have been giving you headaches in the past, however... it could also be something your ISP changed that is causing the issue, i would probably start with replacing the router tho as you've mentioned before that it doesn't function as expected

Personally i prefer using OpenWRT rather then using the stock firmware

Before buying a new router, I would see if you can at least reset settings back to default in your current router. You may need to reconfigure some things, but you're going to do that with a new router anyway. Good practice for knowing how to setup a network too. If you are having ip conflicts, that would clear them, and any other lease issues out.

I would also look for a DHCP Reservation setting. That way you only set device ip's from your router once, and no other device can conflict with it... ever. I like that better than static ip's personally. No matter how many reboots my router goes through, each and every device is always on the ip address i expect it to be on. I have about 15-20 devices on reservation, and leave 10 addresses open for people visiting with tablets, computers and phones. 

I would also stick with port forwarding, it just gives you more control over ports than UPNP, but that's just a personal preference.

Is doing a hard reset completely reset my router? i thik theres a sealed button on the back but its sealed by my isp and they dont want me to do that. 

Anyway, i dont think it is ip conflicts.. i mean just a few devices connect to my wifi. and sometimes i even make sure no one is using the wifi when i use system link.

Wait.. is upnp different with port forwarding?

Make sure you are running F3 3.0.775 (rev 775) or Aurora to begin with

If that fails, it's likely going to work better with a new router as yours have been giving you headaches in the past, however... it could also be something your ISP changed that is causing the issue, i would probably start with replacing the router tho as you've mentioned before that it doesn't function as expected

Personally i prefer using OpenWRT rather then using the stock firmware

I dont think im on the latest kernel.. but it was always working before.. Yes, i tried Aurora but still no pass.

Is doing a hard reset completely reset my router? i thik theres a sealed button on the back but its sealed by my isp and they dont want me to do that. 

Anyway, i dont think it is ip conflicts.. i mean just a few devices connect to my wifi. and sometimes i even make sure no one is using the wifi when i use system link.

Wait.. is upnp different with port forwarding?

I dont think im on the latest kernel.. but it was always working before.. Yes, i tried Aurora but still no pass.

UPNP is Automatic port forwarding compared to doing it manually (which is better)

The latest kernel doesn't matter, having the latest FSD or any Aurora version is required, using older versions of FSD means you're not using the latest plugin which means you're out of luck...

UPNP is Automatic port forwarding compared to doing it manually (which is better)

The latest kernel doesn't matter, having the latest FSD or any Aurora version is required, using older versions of FSD means you're not using the latest plugin which means you're out of luck...

Oh i thought u were talking about the kernel.. Uhm yes im on the latest FSD. Unless til December theres a new update that i didnt know..

But yeah, im sure its not the fsd.. since i even tried the new Aurora.