RealModScene
.SubZer0.

How to use system link to connect multiple Xbox 360 consoles

Put them all on the same network and connect them using system link. You can't mix wired and wireless (according to M$) 

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/system/connect-system-link-play

What doesn't make sense to me, is M$ says to use an ethernet crossover cable to connect to a router, hub or switch, but usually a crossover is only needed to connect two devices directly to each other. Routers etc. use a standard cable. Maybe someone can correct me if i'm mistaken.

I thought the same,i was corrected in another thread round here ; the 360 can use both

• Like 1

I thought the same,i was corrected in another thread round here ; the 360 can use both

OK, I just thought the auto sensing ports figured that stuff out lolz. I have routers and switches and never needed a crossover. It's like magic  :sorcerer:

edit: sorry, thought you meant both as in crossover and straight, not mixed wired and wireless.

if you are using modded xboxes dont forget to unload the freestyle plugin. other than that, connect them to your network, like you would any other device. If you use a hub, or switch, and dont have a dhcp server, you will have to set IP settings on all consoles manually.

• Like 3

Put them all on the same network and connect them using system link. You can't mix wired and wireless (according to M$) 

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/system/connect-system-link-play

What doesn't make sense to me, is M$ says to use an ethernet crossover cable to connect to a router, hub or switch, but usually a crossover is only needed to connect two devices directly to each other. Routers etc. use a standard cable. Maybe someone can correct me if i'm mistaken.

no.. you are correct.. you can't mix them.. Know this from experience..  you can see the game.. but can't join in.. the reason for a crossover cable is for use without a router.. only 2 xbox's.. but a router will work with just a normal cat5 cord..

they can not connect via mixed connections.. they will show the game.. but never connect..  meaning if you are in the same house, using the same router.. now you can mix the connections on LiNK, but that is because it isn't the same network..

in a few days i can post a video showing this..

• Like 1

i want to connect six xbox 360 consoles to play with each other, any help fellas ??

use any router capable of handling 6 ports.. or have 6 wifi adapters/slims, or have 2 routers setup, where 1 port is connected to the lan of the other.. without the WAN hooked up.. basically the same steps as making your router an access point.. you disable the DHCP on one of them, and the other will handle the work just fine..

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/networking/convert_wifi_router_to_access_point.htm

• Like 2

the reason for a crossover cable is for use without a router.. only 2 xbox's.. but a router will work with just a normal cat5 cord..

The confusion I had is where M$ says "Connect each console to the networking device (hub, switch, or router) by using Ethernet crossover cables."

I know crossover is technically the correct cable to use, but they say it like a straight cable isn't an option, lmao.

The confusion I had is where M$ says "Connect each console to the networking device (hub, switch, or router) by using Ethernet crossover cables."

I know crossover is technically the correct cable to use, but they say it like a straight cable isn't an option, lmao.

yeah i know what you mean.. BUT.. at the time that was written.. there was such a thing as a distinct version between the 2.. now-a-days.. damn near every device can use the standard cat5 as a crossover.. as the hardware allows.. unless you are using some old shit.. hahah.. but yeah M$ has chosen some stupid moves in their hardware.. *cough* HDDVD *cough* lolz.. and they really don't update their guides/hardware.. 

and they do use some hypocritical wording.. "use a system link cord, or a ethernet crossover" the same thing.. hahaha.. but yeah they were selling "official" system link cables at 1 time if i remember correctly..

$_57.JPG?set_id=880000500F $_57.JPG?set_id=880000500F

• Like 4

use any router capable of handling 6 ports.. or have 6 wifi adapters/slims, or have 2 routers setup, where 1 port is connected to the lan of the other.. without the WAN hooked up.. basically the same steps as making your router an access point.. you disable the DHCP on one of them, and the other will handle the work just fine..

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/networking/convert_wifi_router_to_access_point.htm

You don't need to have 2 Routers, it's quite sufficent to have 1 Router and 1+ Switches... the switches act like a DHCP-Less router (a router without DHCP or with it disabled)

• Like 1

You don't need to have 2 Routers, it's quite sufficent to have 1 Router and 1+ Switches... the switches act like a DHCP-Less router (a router without DHCP or with it disabled)

Yeah, that's how I run mine. I have 2 routers though, 1 is bridged which basically turns it into a switch, then an unmanaged switch out in the media room. 

I run a $40 Linksys switch to give me extra ports around the big screen and it's just plug and play simplicity.

All the DHCP is managed from the main router.

i want to buy router what you recommend guys for six ports ?

Just a suggestion, but I would look at this and go from there. It's a switch, not a router, which will get you what you originally asked for.

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-SE2800-8-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B004TLIVBG

You haven't really said if you have any networking already installed so it's kind of difficult to point you in the best direction. Maybe you could tell us the setup you have, and expand on what you'd like to accomplish. We already know you want to connect 6 xbox's together, but you might be trying to do that at the local swimming hole for all we know.

Just a suggestion, but I would look at this and go from there. It's a switch, not a router, which will get you what you originally asked for.

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-SE2800-8-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B004TLIVBG

You haven't really said if you have any networking already installed so it's kind of difficult to point you in the best direction. Maybe you could tell us the setup you have, and expand on what you'd like to accomplish. We already know you want to connect 6 xbox's together, but you might be trying to do that at the local swimming hole for all we know.

ahahahha local swimming hole.. with solar panel generating power huh?? lololol.. sorry but made me laugh.

• Like 1

i have an xbox 360 store for games i opened it yesterday i dont have internet yet thats why im asking before i buy router and what i need exactly to connect cosoles with each other

i have an xbox 360 store for games i opened it yesterday i dont have internet yet thats why im asking before i buy router and what i need exactly to connect cosoles with each other

The switches we recommended earlier will get you started as far as connecting multiple consoles together. You will also need some cables to connect them together, cat5 or 6 will do but you'll have to determine the lengths yourself. You want a router to be able to handle the DHCP assignments for each console, and to eventually connect to your modem.

• Like 1

The switches we recommended earlier will get you started as far as connecting multiple consoles together. You will also need some cables to connect them together, cat5 or 6 will do but you'll have to determine the lengths yourself. You want a router to be able to handle the DHCP assignments for each console, and to eventually connect to your modem.

ok so six cables from switch to six consoles, i have to disable freestyle plugin, game version the same with tu and dlcs, i have to cofigure ip manually for each console,

last thing i want to ask about configure in router about dmz and pnp and ports am i need to do something with these ??

in my house i can configure for my console i didnt try for multiple consoles.

ok so six cables from switch to six consoles, i have to disable freestyle plugin, game version the same with tu and dlcs, i have to cofigure ip manually for each console,

last thing i want to ask about configure in router about dmz and pnp and ports am i need to do something with these ??

in my house i can configure for my console i didnt try for multiple consoles.

no, the switch/router should handle all of that.. and the process is the same for all consoles.. should just plug in to the router/switch.. and they will find each other..

no, the switch/router should handle all of that.. and the process is the same for all consoles.. should just plug in to the router/switch.. and they will find each other..

ok thats great mate thank you