RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
Roka5

DLNA and UPNP on RGH

Hi there guys!

new to the site and want to ask - 

can i use my jtag/rgh as a DLNA server to stream movies,music.....

from other devices like my pc or phone using UPNP softwere/app to the

video/music app on the nxe dash, not through live or something like this

using the device default video/music player/app

the 360 connected to internet to fsd use and live block.

(im using serviio on the pc)

like in this video (without the live enable) - 

• Like 1

Edit: i misread your question, i don't think the XB can act like a media server.. but it can stream from OTHER devices on the network, such as PC/Phone/USB capable router..

the server will show up in the "select source" selections.. and depending on format, no additional software is needed, just a shared folder on PC(or router with USB port) 

i use windows 7.. and i'll attach some pix for proof..

post-51312-0-42294300-1435235526_thumb.jpg

post-51312-0-56920500-1435235526_thumb.jpg

post-51312-0-78372100-1435235526_thumb.jpg

post-51312-0-00736900-1435235527_thumb.jpg

It's really a shame that xbmc/kodi was never ported over.

the limitations of the 360 suck.. hence why it will never be ported ;-)

Check out serviio, it runs as a server on the computer, and will re encode video/audio files on the fly to work on the xbox. This way you can stream all of your stuff to the xbox, and not have to worry about having it in the right format. Still requires the optional media update, and depending on the computer/network that it is being served on, it can still be slow on the loading, but this is the best option I have found other then plex, which requres live.

• Like 1

the limitations of the 360 suck.. hence why it will never be ported ;-)

It has nothing to do with the limitations on the 360, it does however have alot to do with the developers making a deal with MS that they wouldn't make a 360 version and that MS wouldn't pursue them for the Xbox version... also, XBMC have dropped Xbox now a days... it's now known as "KODI" to get away from "Xbox" in general...

Another thing that factors in is the massive amount of work required, codecs are written for x86 in general, not PPC64... they're also written for LE, while the 360 is BE (LE = Little Endian, BE = Big Endian)

• Like 1

Another good one that I use is Universal Media Server. Ported from PS3 Media Server by one of it's devs for more stability and compatibility. You have to install java to run it, but it works great. I've noticed that when it's a file that the xbox codecs support, it will stream straight from source, otherwise UMS will transcode it.

Another good one that I use is Universal Media Server. Ported from PS3 Media Server by one of it's devs for more stability and compatibility. You have to install java to run it, but it works great. I've noticed that when it's a file that the xbox codecs support, it will stream straight from source, otherwise UMS will transcode it.

I suggested serviio, as it is cross platform. will run on mac, linux, and windows. But if that runs in java, then it should also be cross platform, but java is an interpreted language, which means the computer has to do more work, not only transcoding, but also interpreting the code. :(

• Like 1

I suggested serviio, as it is cross platform. will run on mac, linux, and windows. But if that runs in java, then it should also be cross platform, but java is an interpreted language, which means the computer has to do more work, not only transcoding, but also interpreting the code. :(

Yeah, lot's of people hate Java for that reason, but that's why I mentioned it. If your machine can handle it, it's not usually an issue.

That and i've never tried Serviio  :p

edit: from their website... Serviio is based on Java technology and therefore runs on most platforms, including Windows, Mac and Linux (incl. embedded systems, e.g. NAS).

Considering the dev is a freelance java consultant too.

It has nothing to do with the limitations on the 360, it does however have alot to do with the developers making a deal with MS that they wouldn't make a 360 version and that MS wouldn't pursue them for the Xbox version...

And how does that not say the limits suck on the 360? Haha j.k but yeah there is a more technical reason.. Like u stated
  • Like 1

It has nothing to do with the limitations on the 360, it does however have alot to do with the developers making a deal with MS that they wouldn't make a 360 version and that MS wouldn't pursue them for the Xbox version... also, XBMC have dropped Xbox now a days... it's now known as "KODI" to get away from "Xbox" in general...

Another thing that factors in is the massive amount of work required, codecs are written for x86 in general, not PPC64... they're also written for LE, while the 360 is BE (LE = Little Endian, BE = Big Endian)

From what I've read over at Kodi, there are two main reasons why they won't port it to PPC

1.They love OpenGL

2.H.264 and H.265 are a pain in the ass to get to play well with PPC.

Also, they prefer to be "Legitimate" with the advent of Android devices and the such so they feel no need to tinker with console ports anymore which puts them in legal troubles with the dev kits.

I do all my DLNA stuff with a Matricom G Box Q these days, it works a LOT better than my old setup.

• Like 1