RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
ken

Xbone to play 360 games

Xbox One Backwards Compatible With Xbox 360 Games disc's and digital

• Like 3

This is great news, only downside is that it's not really native... it's going to be something the developers have to "approve" according to the news article, meaning it's not really 100% backwards compatibility, most likely it's just streamed/re-compiled versions for Xbox One of the game...

• Like 1

Or a just fee M$ will impose on devs to release a game to the compatibility list  ;)

Idk, it may be kind of like BC on the 360 was with original titles, they made a pretty good list, but titles like some Prince of Persia games weren't able to be ported.

Or a just fee M$ will impose on devs to release a game to the compatibility list  ;)

Idk, it may be kind of like BC on the 360 was with original titles, they made a pretty good list, but titles like some Prince of Persia games weren't able to be ported.

Yeah, that's likely what's going to be, they port the games over to Xbox One (PPC64 -> x86_64) and that means that there won't be 100% compatibility, which is why i find this to be a bit disappointing, i would prefer being able to play the games as-is, but i know that this technically isn't quite possible...

• Like 1

Yeah, that's likely what's going to be, they port the games over to Xbox One (PPC64 -> x86_64) and that means that there won't be 100% compatibility, which is why i find this to be a bit disappointing, i would prefer being able to play the games as-is, but i know that this technically isn't quite possible...

I think you're right on the money there. Still, better some than none. Good news since they last announced no BC.

update: just read At Microsoft's end, all this will be made possible via a painstaking software emulation initiative.

All it takes is putting in a physical Xbox 360 disc, which then triggers a game download on the Xbox One. The feature will be available for everyone this holiday and it will have no service fees or charges.

The list... http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/backward-compatibility

If this will use cloud power or emulate stuff, it wouldnt be native. But they said its native.

Based on the edit quattrogamer did, i'd say it's basically they port the game to a natively running version and that's it...

If the games are just ported to Xbox One, Microsoft/Publisher would not gives the Games away for free. The Port for a new platform is in the most cases not only a easy new complie (I'm assuming the Devs dont use pure DirectX, but rather also special platform features from PPC), its a complex process of weeks of work.

The Pubishers must only Agreed to Publish their Xbox 360 Games on Xbox One. They dont not have to program Patches for their Games.

Look at this Video from Larry Hryb. I think they use an embedded OS.

If the games are just ported to Xbox One, Microsoft/Publisher would not gives the Games away for free. The Port for a new platform is in the most cases not only a easy new complie (I'm assuming the Devs dont use pure DirectX, but rather also special platform features from PPC), its a complex process of weeks of work.

The Pubishers must only Agreed to Publish their Xbox 360 Games on Xbox One. They dont not have to program Patches for their Games.

Look at this Video from Larry Hryb. I think they use an embedded OS.

Since the game is downloaded when you insert the disc (or available as DL if you had previously purchased from marketplace) they are not giving anything away for free. M$ is just doing their porting work to ensure compatibility. This is obviously a plus for game devs and gamers. I can see a lot of disc's being shared in the future though  :shock:

I said if the Games would complete new ports to the One platform (some have speculated, the Games are ported to Xbox One, because MS said the Games run native, but they dont), In this case Microsoft wont give away the "Game Ports" for free.

I said if the Games would complete new ports to the One platform (some have speculated, the Games are ported to Xbox One, because MS said the Games run native, but they dont), In this case Microsoft wont give away the "Game Ports" for free.

I hear you man, i'm not disagreeing with you, simply clarifying that nothing will be free either way. Although I don't know how they're going to stop copies of disc's from gamefly etc. from being used to get the updated port.

Scratch that, just read... For disc-based games that are a part of the Back Compat game catalog, simply insert the disc and the console will begin downloading the game to your hard drive. After the game has finished downloading, you will still need to keep the game disc in the drive to play.