RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
Jan4V

LiNK with retail

Is it possible to LiNK with retail consoles? thru some pc app or something... if not could you make that please?

Thanks,

Jan4V.

• Like 2

No. It is not an option, because you have to ping patch the system. Basically, if the host is more then like 2 hops away on the network, the xbox will refuse to see it, which is where dashlaunch's ping patch option comes in, with out that, link wouldnt work. There have been some recent developments in opensource RGH mods, that will get you decent boot times for a decent price. like 10$ -15$, and if you want to keep live, the cheapest option has always been the nandwhich mod, but it is a pain in the ass to install, and the next cheapest would be the squirt dual nand pcb, which is basically the nandwhich mod, with easier solder points. You can do this with all consoles, but the 4g coronas require a bunch of other modifications to the motherboard to pull it off. :( Read the second link in my sig, and it will give you more details. :)

• Like 1

No. It is not an option, because you have to ping patch the system. Basically, if the host is more then like 2 hops away on the network, the xbox will refuse to see it, which is where dashlaunch's ping patch option comes in, with out that, link wouldnt work. There have been some recent developments in opensource RGH mods, that will get you decent boot times for a decent price. like 10$ -15$, and if you want to keep live, the cheapest option has always been the nandwhich mod, but it is a pain in the ass to install, and the next cheapest would be the squirt dual nand pcb, which is basically the nandwhich mod, with easier solder points. You can do this with all consoles, but the 4g coronas require a bunch of other modifications to the motherboard to pull it off. :( Read the second link in my sig, and it will give you more details. :)

Actually, a retail could be a host, but not a player unless you are within those 30ms...

• Like 2

Yes, I just want to play Diablo 3 with a friend, he has retail, he would be the host.

But is there a solution to do that? Ideally if only he has to do something with pc.

the solution would be to set up a vpn software that is compatible with the link server, But I dont know of one, and having the xbox use the computer as a router. U could try xlink kai, it isnt link, but essentually does what you want, and if swizzy is right, and he is rarely wrong, that should work. You will have to unload the freestyle plugin to try though. Some routers come with xlink kai software built in, and if they dont, you can use the computer,  as people use it for PSP, and original XBox online gaming, and also use it for gamecube, and PS2 online gaming. So the possibility of getting that to work in the enviornment your looking for is better than getting link to work without the plugin.

Wasnt it once supported in fsd?

BTW, will nova have also PC client? I would really like that idea, and I think many people from here, too.

Yeah, before link and the freestyle plugin were developed, but even then it had the limitation of needing a computer running the software to connect to the internet, the only difference was that FSD had the ability to join rooms, or whatever, from the console, where now if you want to use it, you have to handle all of that on the computer. :( I really havnt used it since back in the day, when I used to play halo 2 on my modded original xbox, which I broke with a bad tsop flash. :( I have another one in pieces, as the hdd went out, but cant seem to get myself to pop a hdd in the desktop, set it up, just so I can dump the eeprom, and then find the files to recreate the stock hdd.

With the new PlugIn Nova -coming soon-, you may be able to play original system link without any tools. You will have to wait for that.

LiNK will be disabled for that purpose.

Original System Link is local LAN Party.

If he is not local you will have to use xlink Kai of course. Dunno how ping patch is handled there.

link isnt vpn?

It's a custom made VPN that doesn't work quite the same as VPN, but similar...

but will nova be able to work like xlink?

It'll work better then xlink kai ;)

• Like 1