RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
Hamad Shafqat

Xbox 360 Internal Storage Expansion

I have a 2.5' western digital laptop hard disk. Can I use it as xbox 360 internal harddisk? If i may buy a case shell, hoot the drive in it... use it?

Also will this upgrage of my jtag xbox 360 storage effect its performance... i mean will it get slower?

Plz guide about the procedure...

• Like 1

I have a 2.5' western digital laptop hard disk. Can I use it as xbox 360 internal harddisk? If i may buy a case shell, hoot the drive in it... use it?

Also will this upgrage of my jtag xbox 360 storage effect its performance... i mean will it get slower?

there is no real guide, just get you a case, $5-7 on most shopping sites, then pop it in, use dashboard to format..

make sure to get your console serial number from system info, as it will ask you before you format..

performance is unaffected, as im using a 1TB for mine..

• Like 1

As long as the drive is 5400RPM or faster the performance will be the same as the ones microsoft sell ya... 5200RPM (1TB+ drives tend to be this speed) don't really have a noticeable effect on performance...

• Like 2

i didnt know they made slower than 5400rpms.. but yeah, also no real need to buy a SSD drive, as the xbox is limited to read/write speed in itself.. my SSD didnt have faster/better reading.. so i threw it in my PC for my OS install.. now thats a HUGE bonus..

• Like 1

I don't want to hijack this thread or anything but as we are on the subject. Does anyone know if using SSD on xbox360 affects performance much?? If at all on aurora loading times? Games are optimized for dvd's and the bus may be a limiting factor. But loading of tons of covers and titles from a database????

And secondly. What is the maximum size of xtaf filesystem? Are we able to use 3-4-5tb hdd's? There is nowhere i can find this information when using google. Only the maximum for fat32 is named time and again which is 2.2 tb or something alike.

I don't want to hijack this thread or anything but as we are on the subject. Does anyone know if using SSD on xbox360 affects performance much?? If at all on aurora loading times? Games are optimized for dvd's and the bus may be a limiting factor. But loading of tons of covers and titles from a database????

And secondly. What is the maximum size of xtaf filesystem? Are we able to use 3-4-5tb hdd's? There is nowhere i can find this information when using google. Only the maximum for fat32 is named time and again which is 2.2 tb or something alike.

SSD's don't really have the same effect as on your computer for instance... not only that, but some games may even crash due to the speed of the SSD (i tried one a loooong time ago, with borderlands... it worked until it was loading the map data, when it was doing that it crashed) support for SSD's may have been improved over time by system updates, but... it's simply not worth it... you gain a few seconds of loading times, is it really worth it?

Maximum is the same as FAT32 as XTAF/FATX is a modification of FAT32, it doesn't support bigger drives then FAT32 due to the addressing being the same as FAT32 which limits it to ~2TB maximum... there's also the partition table restriction which is MBR, it also don't support much bigger then ~2TB, for 3TB+ disks you need to use GPT

• Like 1

The speed is negligible.. Just like hooking up a usb3.0 to it.. Your gonna get usb2.0 speeds.. Stick with regular HDDs..

And they tend to be cheaper.. I got my tb for like $80.. But that was best buy and they jack prices up

• Like 1

i didnt know they made slower than 5400rpms.. but yeah, also no real need to buy a SSD drive, as the xbox is limited to read/write speed in itself.. my SSD didnt have faster/better reading.. so i threw it in my PC for my OS install.. now thats a HUGE bonus..

Solid state drives are also more likely to fail, just like any flash memory. :) Just look at 4gb corona, if you go over to the tx forums, there are alot of people who do nand swap services just because of this. The 16MB nand is the better option. Especially if you want to dual nand.... but that is a different topic. lol.

Solid state drives are also more likely to fail, just like any flash memory. :) Just look at 4gb corona, if you go over to the tx forums, there are alot of people who do nand swap services just because of this. The 16MB nand is the better option. Especially if you want to dual nand.... but that is a different topic. lol.

Not only that, since both the system and memory is on the same device, a single write error could cause a disaster...

• Like 1