RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
nelliewilson

How to update skins?

I just updated to Aurora 0.5b but I can't get any other skins to show up in the "change" skin menu even though I can see them in the skin folder via File Manager. Is this because the skins were made for 0.4b? How does one update skins?

• Like 2

First you extract the skin using tools included with the XDK, then you would have to change the correct scripts, and add new images. The easiest way would be to start with the default skin, and copy and paste what you want from the custom skin, then rebuild it.

• Like 1

The creator of the skin will have to update the skin and upload the new version.

I hope we can download skins from unity store in future where a manual deployment isnt needed anymore.

All skins have to be verified of course.

• Like 2

The creator of the skin will have to update the skin and upload the new version.

I hope we can download skins from unity store in future where a manual deployment isnt needed anymore.

All skins have to be verified of course.

Not a bad Idea, but who would you have moderate that? The devs are too busy building Aurora, and Nova, and as it has been said, they really dont have a moderation staff for link, so having a modderation staff for skins in the aurora store probably isnt a concern there much either.

• Like 1

There is an overview of the skins. We dont have thousands of skins. Skinners are mostly known. Even yet covers are uploaded and verified by Swizzy (the requested ones).

This is not a hard task. And since you are online, i vote for you :p.

This has potential and we should let it grow with the community.

• Like 2

First you extract the skin using tools included with the XDK, then you would have to change the correct scripts, and add new images. The easiest way would be to start with the default skin, and copy and paste what you want from the custom skin, then rebuild it.

Oh, I see. I should have thought of that. Thanks. 

There is an overview of the skins. We dont have thousands of skins. Skinners are mostly known. Even yet covers are uploaded and verified by Swizzy (the requested ones).

I am already chatting with maesterrowen about becoming a mod for link, I could do this also. We will have to see what the future holds for aurora, and nova. kinda off topic, but I remember reading somewhere about being able to change emulator profiles with the hacked xbox compatibility files, and i just dropped maester rowen a line on adding a feature like that to nova, and seeing if we find a way to stop the xbox from removing the guide when playing xbox classic games, but honestly he has his hands full with nova as it is, and then the new builds of aurora.... etc. so we shall see. As it is there isnt really an Aurora store anyway, and if there was, while skins are one place to start, I would also add homebrew apps(Dashlaunch, emulators, !dswitch for demon, plugins, aurora trainers, etc), and skins to it also, so you can get all of your homebrew needs from the dashboard, instead of having to search countless forums for everything.

• Like 1

There's more to checking skins then just "ok, this preview looks alright"

We have to verify that the skin is working, doesn't cause major issues and whatnot, covers are much much easier, they're just a picture, all i have to do there is look at the picture and verify that it's for the game you've specified and that it follows our general guidelines (it's really a no-brainer, nudes aren't allowed, and don't mark an unofficial cover as official (meaning, if it came out of the retail box -> it's official, otherwise it's unofficial) and of course, we don't accept covers that are wonky, they have to be actual covers, not something else)

• Like 1

I still think it wont be a hard task as we only have a couple of skins for now. You provide something and you have to check it before you make it official. Its not different than the app store. Generally you even have to check every TU which is uploaded. Imagine the files are infected. You spread this in the first case not the uploaders.

So checking is the first instance that has to be done. Lets begin with skins. You will get support. We are not alone.

Unity!

I still think it wont be a hard task as we only have a couple of skins for now. You provide something and you have to check it before you make it official. Its not different than the app store. Generally you even have to check every TU which is uploaded. Imagine the files are infected. You spread this in the first case not the uploaders.

So checking is the first instance that has to be done. Lets begin with skins. You will get support. We are not alone.

Unity!

It's not a hard task, but, it takes time still because we have to verify each one, and there's several places where it could go wrong, and as gavin already explained, we've got alot to do already, it being more then just taking a look at a picture is quite enough for the current team to not want to add it on top of everything else

If you're referring to Apple's App store, they do testing aswell, they don't just click accept or deny depending on a first glance... they however have different ways of checking then actually running the app on a phone or whatever, they can emulate it and probably have some automated systems for it, we don't have anything like that, everything submitted is manually checked, the exception is TU's which are checked in a similar way as the console does (i think, i'm not 100% sure about what checks are performed on them, but... they're checked for validity during the upload)

I don't know about other skin makers, but I personally will be porting mine to v.5 in the coming days ,and getting them uploaded asap.

if anyone out there would like any info or help making/updating skins feel free to ask, though I don't have time to spend hours and hours teaching individuals the entire process, I am willing to answer any questions to the best of my ability , and or post some tutorials if the information would be useful to other skin makers as well.  

• Like 3

I don't know about other skin makers, but I personally will be porting mine to v.5 in the coming days ,and getting them uploaded asap.

if anyone out there would like any info or help making/updating skins feel free to ask, though I don't have time to spend hours and hours teaching individuals the entire process, I am willing to answer any questions to the best of my ability , and or post some tutorials if the information would be useful to other skin makers as well.  

You could make a tutorial video on Youtube and post a step by step process on here if you have time.

• Like 1

You could make a tutorial video on Youtube and post a step by step process on here if you have time.

Sorry I no longer use "googletube",  as for tutorials I prefer to make them in a document style.

I would gladly create some more detailed tutorials I just need some specific questions or input as to what I should include, xui overall is a pretty broad thing to cover, and covering a sufficient amount in a single tutorial without it becoming a huge run-on blob of crap can sometimes be a difficult task for me lol

if anyone here has not read it , check out my doc tutorial here http://www.realmodscene.com/index.php?/topic/4986-tutorial-doc-working-with-xui-animated-backgrounds-more/  it covers a good bit of basic things like file loading and navigation, as well as things a bit more advanced like timeline animation, a good read for anyone interested in making Xui 

as for updating a skin, to all authors I recommend these tips to make the next update easier.

1. create a text file listing things that you added/altered including skin visuals, pictures, basically anything that was added or altered in any way from the base skin you are building on. Record it's ID, original state, and altered state or any other important info you may need later ,,this will ensure you don't forget to add things during updating 

2. using multiple windows in XUI tool, compare the additions/changes you made in your last update or original build, this will allow you to see most of your changes and copy and paste a lot of things over to your new build. In an app that does not change a lot visually but more so by adding more overlay scenes and functions in existing scenes (Aurora) this can be a quick way to get most of your update done in very little time, then finish up by adding whatever is needed to the applications new content.

as I said before feel free to ask questions, preferably specific things or scenarios please, asking for a "all in one" tutorial is quite honestly just not possible LOL 
  • Like 3