RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
StaticPulse

MESS fork for 360?

Any idea if its even possible to port it? I was looking at their forum the other day and it seems like it would be a good universal console emulator for platforms that  no one is currently working on and if was doable, would it be able to retain it functionality for the 360?

The reason I bring this up is that I see that many people want ps2 / GC emulation but the console itself doesn't have the resources to do it effectively using libxenon. I may be speaking out of naivete here but couldn't the local interpreters used in MESS itself make it more efficient and possibly make it happen? Or would it be emulating a console environment and translating it twice making it useless even if PS2 / GC support did eventually come to MESS?

I did some research and found that they did port it over to PPC for Mac so maybe the souce could be adapted for a 360 port?

http://www.macmess.org/

I don't think SDL is available for Xbox 360 (XDK) there is a Libxenon port of SDL, but i don't know how well it works...

Essentially tho, anything is possible, it's just a matter of having people motivated enough to get it done :) and of course, we won't know how well it'll work until it's finished being ported...

• Like 1

Gamecube and ps2 are the limits. And i doubt they'll ever come

Makes me wish my major was programming and not network engineering. I do think Gamecube and PS2 will eventually come to MESS but whether or not someone ports it to the 360 is my only question. It would be nice though only having to port one thing for support for that VAST amount of platforms.  ^_^

Makes me wish my major was programming and not network engineering

It's never too late to learn programming ;)

Once you wrap your head around the general syntax (C/C++ and many other languages share similar syntax) you'll be quite far on your way towards this task :)

Everything else you'll need is most likely available by using google or reading the documentation for the Xbox 360 SDK :)

• Like 1

It's never too late to learn programming ;)

Once you wrap your head around the general syntax (C/C++ and many other languages share similar syntax) you'll be quite far on your way towards this task :)

Everything else you'll need is most likely available by using google or reading the documentation for the Xbox 360 SDK :)

I took intro to computer programming and logic, received a good dosage of pseudocode and flowchartting, then my professor gave us a shitty crash course on python.

Since then I've had a stigma for it but I do know I need to learn the POSIX scripting languages for real system administration. I'll self-study it one day when all my pre-reqs are completed  and I complete my CCNP training, just not now.

• Like 2

Writing programs is basic logic. Usually. Once you learn the syntax as swizzy said. The problem with coding emulators is that you also have to have a really good knowledge of the hardware you are trying to emulate, and of the system you are trying to emulate it on, then you have to figure out how to get one to runs as the other. It is no small task, and is something no amateur programmer should attempt. 

Writing programs is basic logic. Usually. Once you learn the syntax as swizzy said. The problem with coding emulators is that you also have to have a really good knowledge of the hardware you are trying to emulate, and of the system you are trying to emulate it on, then you have to figure out how to get one to runs as the other. It is no small task, and is something no amateur programmer should attempt. 

Pretty much reroute all the I/O calls an memory registers to valid locations on the hardware its being ported to right?

Pretty much reroute all the I/O calls an memory registers to valid locations on the hardware its being ported to right?

That and translate instructions, cpu instructions probably won't be the same now as they were when the console was released... then there's the built-in kernel/firmware on the console

That and translate instructions, cpu instructions probably won't be the same now as they were when the console was released... then there's the built-in kernel/firmware on the console

Sounds like it would be pretty straight forward providing we had a engineering specsheet on the 360 to do so. I'm guessing one wasn't leaked or released so its been a lot of guesswork and tinkering to find what we've been able to find so far correct?

Sounds like it would be pretty straight forward providing we had a engineering specsheet on the 360 to do so. I'm guessing one wasn't leaked or released so its been a lot of guesswork and tinkering to find what we've been able to find so far correct?

the information is out there. Thank god for reverse engineering. lol. Really, if you could find a version that will compile for the PPC64 arch, then port that version to c#, then it technically would be fairly easy, if you understand what it is doing. Unfortunatly, a lot of programmers dont comment the code, and then there is the ram requirements/cpu requirements. I am fairly certain the gpu is adequate. You might see if you can get Ced2911 to take a look, as he did alot of work on the PS1 emulator, PSP emulator, and a few others for the 360, but I havnt seen him putting out anything new in quite a while. I know he still answers questions about those on http://ks3372552.kimsufi.com/smf/index.php which I am fairly certain is his forum. :) 

the information is out there. Thank god for reverse engineering. lol. Really, if you could find a version that will compile for the PPC64 arch, then port that version to c#, then it technically would be fairly easy, if you understand what it is doing. Unfortunatly, a lot of programmers dont comment the code, and then there is the ram requirements/cpu requirements. I am fairly certain the gpu is adequate. You might see if you can get Ced2911 to take a look, as he did alot of work on the PS1 emulator, PSP emulator, and a few others for the 360, but I havnt seen him putting out anything new in quite a while. I know he still answers questions about those on http://ks3372552.kimsufi.com/smf/index.php which I am fairly certain is his forum. :)

You really wouldn't want to go for C# as that means you're limited to XNA which is a much much smaller library with less power, (it's for indie games)

For real performance and such, you'll want it to be C, C++ or Asm

• Like 1

I thought that XNA had its own devkit that anyone could get, so they could make indie games. lol. But yeah, C,C++,or asm  would be the best options just because of the speed increases you can get out of it if you know what you are doing. :)