RealModScene
chriss179

"Official support for 2tb drives"?

I read that in an upcoming system update the microsoft xbox should receave "official" support for 2tb external hdd's. I wonder what file system microsoft has in mind... Anyone know any information on this? Are they now officially going to support fat32 2tb hdd's??? we have been using those for years now on rgh/jtags. So what is so special about this "official" support for those drives??

Anyone have any information on what this means for us?? They say it is for 2tb hdd's. So i can't expect a more advanced file system to be incorporated into the system right??? I don't exactly like the HFS file system. If it's even called that.. i don't own an apple and those windows drivers are funky at best. Besides not being able to write to my hdd while it being attached to my xbox is a deal breaker. So what exactly is being added by microsoft???? Nothing at all?? Then why trumpet this change like it's the dawning of a new era??
Source:

http://www.geek.com/games/xbox-360-is-finally-getting-2tb-external-hard-drive-support-1620041/

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/xbox-360-2tb-hard-drives/

etc//

They change the memory space that you can access on externel storage drives, and the reserved space on HD falls away.

Aha.... And what about this: 

Microsoft points out that some drives may be incompatible or have performance issues and if space is already reserved for storing Xbox 360 data, it will need to be wiped off in order to “gain full access to the drive.â€

You need to wipe your xbox360 data to "gain full access to the drive"? Besides microsoft not supporting fat32 on 2tb AT ALL. But fat32 is limited to 32gb drives. Exactly the amount you could use on an usb harddisk or usb pendrive. If you get my drift.. I'm really wondering if they are including a new file system the more i think and read about this. Microsoft supporting 2tb hdd's. I mean they should be supporting 5tb hdd's if they'd implement ntfs. But the keyword here is official support........ You let me know how you format your drive with official support and i'll show you a flying elephant.

If you use external storage drives on Xbox 360, the Xbox created a virtual partition on the external drive. The file format on this virtual partition is FATX. On FAT32 File Format you can access 2TB, but I reckon that Microsoft only allows 32 Gb.

They change the memory space that you can access on externel storage drives, and the reserved space on HD falls away.

So nothing really shocking. Just for those who want to download hundreds of god games and xbla from xbox live. Isn't microsoft being optimistic. :chris: 

So nothing really shocking. Just for those who want to download hundreds of god games and xbla from xbox live. Isn't microsoft being optimistic. :chris:

They just lifted the 32GB limit, nothing weird about that at all ;) With more and more games having a install required, it's only fair ;)

Microsoft should've done this from the outset not years later as for restricting to 2tb what a joke i need at the minimum 4tb support.. *cue mutley laugh*

• Like 4

The main reason will probably be that, the 360 is in the end of Lifetime and Microsoft has sold enough of there own 360 Hard Disc Drives in the past.

And because they saw Xbox One loosing the battle against ps4. I think they push the old gen for that reason also.

Xbox One & PS4 have not even reached the half of the lifetime. It would be premature to speak who makes the race.

• Like 1

Its just a presumably prognosis. Seriously its just a plausible thought. They could have come with that in 2011.