RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
Lightpost

HDMI - Cuts Off and Back On

Hi! I have an almost 3-year old Xbox 360 S RGHed Corona which started to act weird a week ago....

It's hooked to our 32-inch LG LED TV via HDMI but after a couple of minutes (5 or less), the screen would momentarily turn black and the video comes back again within a second. A few more minutes later, the same thing happens again, becoming annoyingly frequent (the video just stays on for a few seconds now and back on again) until it eventually stays black - the TV will then display the "No Signal" message. I've noticed that the issue only starts when I play a game, it doesn't happen when I'm just on FSD.

I've already tried plugging it on another HDMI port on the TV which my brother also uses as his PC's monitor (also uses HDMI), made sure it's properly plugged in, tried reversing ends, checked for possible small foreign objects in the HDMI ports of both the console and TV. Unplugging and replugging the cable, by the way, restores the video but the symptoms come back again. I've no issues using the composite cable that came with the console (using it would've been fine by me if I weren't playing XCOM - a text heavy game). 

I thought that the cheap HDMI cable has started to give up so I bought a not-so-cheap one but the console can't seem to boot up with it. It normally boots within a minute or two but after waiting for 5 or so minutes, the console seems to give up and turns back off (the central LED light on the power button goes a way and the PSU LED light goes back to orange). I only tried turning the console on again and see if it will eventually boot up 3 times but it just eventually turns back off.
I tried to use the composite cable again just to get it to boot up, which it did, and then changed it to the HDMI cable but to my dismay, the issue started in just a minute or two even when it's just sitting on FSD.

Any ideas as to what the issue might be? I think it's unlikely that the HDMI port on the console has issues as the console has never been dropped or anything. +:-(

• Like 3

It's an issue with the connection between your console and the TV, perhaps using the nohdmiwait patch will solve the problem? or try using a different TV... basically, HDMI can be very dodgy with RGH consoles, and the way you are describing the initial issues it sounds to me like your TV has had enough of it, or the cable is simply not good anymore...

I would start by testing this extra patch, if it doesn't work, try checking with another TV (with and without the patch), if it still don't work, it's likely a hardware problem with the port itself

As Swizzy said, try using nohdmiwait, this solvedsome problems I had with my TV

And sometimes my TV cuts off too because the eletricity stuff here on my house is kinda bad, sometimes when someone turn on a light my TV fade to black and goes back to normal, so try plugging your TV & Xbox on another socket

• Like 1

Ah, thanks for the suggestion. I've Googled about the nohdmiwait patch thinking it might be an option somewhere in FSD or Dashlaunch that I can just simply enable - turns out I have to rebuild my NAND again, which will have to wait until I get back home from the province.

It's strange though that with a brand new cable, the issue starts within a minute. The TV also serves as a PC monitor which is connected to one of the two HDMI ports. It looks like the TV no longer likes my console - it doesn't have any issues outputting the PC video on either HDMI ports.

Will post back if nohdmiwait solves the problem.

• Like 1