RealModScene
StaticPulse

Trying to restore DVD functionality to a Falcon I got for free

Okay, so when I first got this nightmare of a device. it had been siitting in pieces in a box with a xenon gathering rust on the shield. Everything was taken apart by someone who should NEVER work on electronics...

Originally I had thought that the drive that it used was as Toshiba Samsung ms25 and after some painstaking research it turned out that it was the lite-on drive that I thought went with the xenon.

Got it all assembled properly and on POST the DVD eject problem started happening so I went through the list of things to address the problem to no avail. It wasn't until I came across an article suggesting an alternate solder point to fix the open tray error

It did fix the open drive error but the drive still won't properly read a game or dvd (even after a POT adjust on the laser)

any suggestions would be welcome as I'd like to fix and sell it but right about now I'm strongly considering the internal hard drive hack and selling the DVD's for parts

Attached is a picture of where the wire is to be soldered, this forum doesnt like the image extension I'm trying to embed from Team Xecuter

post-56760-0-21970800-1426311966_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It sounds like your laser is dead.  I would just replace it.  They cost around $5-$8 on ebay. Pot tweaks don't always work and are generally a very temporary fix at best.

• Like 2

It sounds like your laser is dead.  I would just replace it.  They cost around $5-$8 on ebay. Pot tweaks don't always work and are generally a very temporary fix at best.

Thank you! I'll start looking on ebay for one

Is this a JTAG/RGH or just a flashed machine?

if memory serves me right the consoles that came with MS25's don't have any OSIG data in the kv (making you able to flash any drive just putting the correct dvdkey in there and having it work)

• Like 1

Is this a JTAG/RGH or just a flashed machine?

if memory serves me right the consoles that came with MS25's don't have any OSIG data in the kv (making you able to flash any drive just putting the correct dvdkey in there and having it work)

From what I gather no Falcons came with ms25, I got two parted out and  weathered phats, one's a Xenon and the other is a Falcon.  the Xenon has RRoD and the Falcon just doesnt read discs. The drives in the box are a Lite-On and a ms25. From doing research I found out the drive most likely used for the falcon is the Lite-on but I won't know for sure until after I RGH it. They're both stock just owned by someone who should've never touched them when they originally broke. He did the hot towel trick to the Xenon so I'm sure I'm going to have to reball that one and originally, this Falcon only had the eject error issue which I did fix but it still won't read a disc for either of the drives. I know if its the wrong DVD key it will still play a DVD and if its a game it will read and ask to play in an xbox 360. The Falcon does neither...

Since replacing the laser the drive now reads discs however it won't play games. Its acting as though the DVD Keys don't match with the "Insert this game into an xbox 360" Message. Now I'm really confused since everywhere I've read on the TX forums Falcons did not ship with MS25 drives...... I'm going to RGH this console so I can at least dump the DVD key from the mobo NAND. Any ideas as to an alternative method of doing this other than glitching the board to run Xell?

Since replacing the laser the drive now reads discs however it won't play games. Its acting as though the DVD Keys don't match with the "Insert this game into an xbox 360" Message. Now I'm really confused since everywhere I've read on the TX forums Falcons did not ship with MS25 drives...... I'm going to RGH this console so I can at least dump the DVD key from the mobo NAND. Any ideas as to an alternative method of doing this other than glitching the board to run Xell?

What kernel does it have? without that info it's impossible to give you any good tips...

If it's old enough, you can use JTAG, otherwise RGH/R-JTAG is the way you have to go unless you want to try and bruteforce the cpukey from your console...

• Like 1

What kernel does it have? without that info it's impossible to give you any good tips...

If it's old enough, you can use JTAG, otherwise RGH/R-JTAG is the way you have to go unless you want to try and bruteforce the cpukey from your console...

I thought as much... It has the current kernel 17150  =\  Looks like I'll just have to wait until I get the modding parts to fully fix the drive, I am happy that at least its reading discs again though. ^_^