RealModScene
gangrel_1313

Are there any Text editors?

Was wondering if there are any text editors for RGH/JTAG's? Where we can run it from the dash and not have to FTP and download it, edit it and upload it again?

I remember there was one for the original Xbox.

Sorry, but no... there are none, and there isn't likely to come any either...

• Like 2

There is no need, the xbox 360 saves most of its data in the profile, and the homebrew apps are saving their data to sqlite databases. The only app using a txt file other then error logs, would be dashlaunch, and that file is easily configured with the dashlaunch installer.

• Like 1

It would be interesting tho

Like even to read the debug logs before booting a pc for this

Maybe we can add a debuglog viewer for Aurora, however... it's not very useful for most end-users as it can be quite cryptic at times, also, it's stored as JSON, are you able to read a JSON structure by hand? ;) Also, most of the time the debug log is used to find out more about errors where Aurora don't work at all, or there's a file error (which maybe is better to have Aurora display in the error message instead of telling you to go to the debug log for more info)

• Like 1

which maybe is better to have Aurora display in the error message instead of telling you to go to the debug log for more info

And that, Sir, is currently a problem.

When i had that i thought i could see the error/exception directly. The second thing would be to read onpoint with a reader. But instead we have to boot the damn PC, transfer it to it, open it, read it, upload it. :D

I think its important to use these log features for future. You should be able to send the "error" report directly from your Xbox, it would also send all relevant Information about the used System if its not in the logs already. The purpose is to optimize the software and find solutions through this but i don't see enough motivation in this case.

Sending error reports is not as easy as it sounds, just sending the log and console information doesn't help much without an error description, and not all users are good at writing such stuff, how do we contact the guy that sent the report if they're not logged in to unity? do we limit it to ppl only signed in to a unity account? There are tons of complications with these types of things...

Essentially, the way it works right now is working fine, it's mostly lazy ppl that would actually benefit from this type of thing, and it'd take alot of time off our hands to code it all up and test it, we test everything we make... and testing this wouldn't be something that's easy to do you know, and Aurora is very stable these days, there are very few crashes, most errors are freezing and/or user errors, copying a file and having an error often means there's a problem with you, maybe a device error (nothing we can do about this) or perhaps your drive is full (can't hold the data you're trying to copy to it), nothing we can do about that either...

• Like 1

What about running the original Xbox text editor through the Xbox 1 hacked backwards compatibility emulator? I tried running and Xbox 1 emulator before but it appear not to be able to detect the filesystem of the 360.

What about running the original Xbox text editor through the Xbox 1 hacked backwards compatibility emulator? I tried running and Xbox 1 emulator before but it appear not to be able to detect the filesystem of the 360.

The Emulator for Xbox only have access to Hdd1:\Compatibility\ <--- here you'll find "C", "D", "E", "F" etc. as you'd see on a normal Xbox (the partitions of the original xbox harddrive) if memory serves me right

Atleast if my memory serves me right that's how it works... but, i could remember the structure incorrectly...

I know most homebrew enabled console platforms do have some type of text or hex reader/editor available, however I would have to agree with swizzy that you will likely never see this on x360, imo there are many reasons for this

1. very few active devs in the scene with the knowledge to make a project of this type.

2. being that most users have their own preference of file transfer (ftp,usb,SDK,etc) and that most files of this type are tiny in size the transfer / edit / re-transfer time would be equal to or less than the time it would take to boot another xex from the file browser and use the program to edit the file and save it.

3. universal file type functionality (and creating this in a well designed user friendly UI environment) would also be an issue in many ways.

it would be a cool homebrew app,,something I'm sure would find it's place among users in the scene,, but I know im not going to be the guy making it  :pc:

• Like 1

A text reader/editor would be handy, I often keep little notes for non aurora compatible trainer triggers because I often forget.

2 hours ago, Relentless said:

A text reader/editor would be handy, I often keep little notes for non aurora compatible trainer triggers because I often forget.

That is what paper is for? If your trainer was good.. It would tell you the buttons in game.. Or be like aurora trainers.. With a config menu before you launch your game 😉

10 hours ago, felida said:

That is what paper is for? If your trainer was good.. It would tell you the buttons in game.. Or be like aurora trainers.. With a config menu before you launch your game 😉

Agreed!  but not ALL Aurora Trainers are up to date or work so sometimes I need to rely on non Aurora Trainers.  example would be the mod trainer/menus for the GTA series.

30 minutes ago, Relentless said:

Agreed!  but not ALL Aurora Trainers are up to date or work so sometimes I need to rely on non Aurora Trainers.  example would be the mod trainer/menus for the GTA series.

And mod menus have nothing to do with trainers.. Haha.. You can always make your own aurora trainer mate.. The tools are on this site.. 

14 hours ago, Relentless said:

İ would like to have that integrated into the filemanager

• Like 1

NICE!!  I'm gonna try this out - thank you!😆

Didn't see it on the aurora scripts area but found it on github via another thread on here.  I've no clue how to install it, can someone give me step by step instructions?

n/m, somehow I managed to figure it out by poking around the github page until an option for me to dl the folder came up - tried out the text viewer and it works great!!!  Awesome job Saywaking!  :thumbsu: