RealModScene
begallegal1

DOSBox 360 Browser v0.01 [Emulator Helper]

2w656yv.png

Since some people seem to like my old dosbox/win95 launcher and myself and some pals are having a retro game night soon, I decided to whip up this little app to make our DOS a bit more fun.

This is an application to aid in using the Xbox360 port of DOSBox

Anybody that has ever used DOSBox on their Jtag/RGH/XDK know that its kind of a pain to copy each .config file every time you want to launch a game (if you want it to auto execute that is) ,, this app solves the issue

Features:
-Lists all game folders in the "DOS" directory
-On launch, the selected games .config file is copied to app root for proper auto execution.
-App auto selects "regular" or "dev" version based on the kernel running on the x360 (only dif is devkits have mouse support, see readme.nfo)

Usage:
-Add your game folders to the "DosBox 360 BrowserV0.01\DOSXBox360\DOS" directory, ensure your folder includes an edited .config file for proper auto execution 
*NOTE: Game folders must be 8 characters or less, otherwise you will get errors when loading game!!!
33w1fuv.png

Here is a .config example,,edit your games folder name and .exe name 

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
@ECHO OFF
MOUNT C GAME:\DOS -freesize 500
C:
cls

cd C:\DOOM
cls
DOOM.exe

From now on you can launch the game from the browser without having to copy or edit any more files, or type any boot commands in dosbox! 

Seeing that I cannot include any game content as examples, if you have any issues getting your games .config files setup, or any other issues please feel free to ask ;)

enjoy, 
begal 

DosBox 360 BrowserV0.01.rar

I take no credit for dosbox or the 360 port of it, credits to the authors of them both, I only made this browser to aid in using the program!
Feel free to post this anywhere on the webs you want (yes that's aimed at you Heavy Smoker LOL)

• Like 16

I think it would be easier to just have it boot up something like Norton Commander, with the menu setup, then all you have to do is choose dosbox, and it pops up with a menu where you can just choose the game you want. Seems easier then having to run an app that changes the config for each game. Just a thought.

I think it would be easier to just have it boot up something like Norton Commander, with the menu setup, then all you have to do is choose dosbox, and it pops up with a menu where you can just choose the game you want. Seems easier then having to run an app that changes the config for each game. Just a thought.

How would it be easier from the end-user standpoint?

And what about if the game requires a specific configuration? this handles that quite nicely ;)

• Like 2

How would it be easier from the end-user standpoint?

And what about if the game requires a specific configuration? this handles that quite nicely ;)

From what I can see of the config file that is posted, all it does is mount a folder as C:\ and then it runs a game. Following the same thought process, why not have it run a menu app, that has all the commands available to run the games you have. That is how I used to do it on my computer, never had a problem. For the most part, the config file takes the place of config.sys(Loads drivers, so not needed for dosbox), and autoexec.bat, which was the first script to run, and would do things like create a mount point for the cd drive, or set the sound variable settings, or load network services. then usually it would start windows 3.11, which ran on top of it. So, the only real setting that might ever have to change in that file would be the line that isnt in the example, but would be something like "SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 H6 E620" which would be needed for some games, like doom to function with sound at the best dos quality, and that line wouldnt make a difference for any game that doesnt require it.

This is where Norton Commander comes in, as it has a visual file manager, a command line, and a bunch of other nice features, but most importantly, for this example, a program launcher menu, that is easily user configureable, and can send commands to the apps it is running.

• Like 1

_SNIP_

Yea I hear ya , but due to my limited abilities I'm not quite up to the level of porting things or any other lengthy process, and this was the most native way I could implement something that automated the process after initial setup and allow the user to enjoy their games without having to mess about with files every time.

Thanks to all for your comments :)  ,, and to all users out there, please feel free to ask if you have questions etc ;)

Yea I hear ya , but due to my limited abilities I'm not quite up to the level of porting things or any other lengthy process, and this was the most native way I could implement something that automated the process after initial setup and allow the user to enjoy their games without having to mess about with files every time.

Thanks to all for your comments :)  ,, and to all users out there, please feel free to ask if you have questions etc ;)

Norton commander is a dos program, so it will run natively in the emulator. No porting or lengthy process needed. I would suggest setting up the menus in dosbox on the computer.

Norton commander is a dos program, so it will run natively in the emulator. No porting or lengthy process needed. I would suggest setting up the menus in dosbox on the computer.

Ahh gotcha, until recently playing around with this port of dosbox the last time I had any toying with DOS games was in the late 80's in high school LOL, I'll have to have a poke around and see what I can come up with that may give some more options, thanks for the suggestions on that ;) 

• Like 2

WOW... this is amazing. my very first game was oregon trail (that i remember) but any game i played wouldve been on dos at school.

for it to be so easy and look so polished. wow....

dos games are 98% keyboard based. just get u a keyboard to use, controller probably alrdy works as mouse unless u have devkit then mouse works too. u can use keyboard on amiga360 and probably other things. im just starting with this part of my rgh.

is there a way to access emu menu while playing a game?

Well done sir!

Quick question though, I've been trying to launch Digger '83 and I get the game to play but it freezes after the first level is completed.

I downloaded the EXE file from https://www.digger.org/

Any ideas on how to fix the issue?

Cheers!

I used Xtree Gold for DOSbox, but same issues of EMM and whatnot present themselves, 640 block has to be open enough for certain higher end games.

Gonna try your app and see if I can make a bare bones autolauncher for win95 games.