RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
bengpsn7

HFS Formatted External HDD on FSD

I know that there have been multiple threads on this.  Just wanted to get a definitive answer.

Can I use an HFS formatted external (WD My Book 2TB) to launch backups on my RGH 360 through FSD3?

I know about setting paths, etc. etc.  Just simply want to see if FSD3 rev 775 accepts HFS to launch backups.

Thanks, in advance.

I dont know why it should work. The internal system is xtaf(fatx) and external support is fat32.

Libxenon can also ntfs (and exFat?)

Never heard of hfs but according to wiki it is a filesystem from apple...

Dunno if its a spin off of fat32 or something but normally it should not be supported. But looks like it is working according to @Dr.Gonzo. So it is technically possible but with limits.

I dont know why it should work. The internal system is xtaf(fatx) and external support is fat32.

You can connect your HFS+ compatible Media Player, such as iPod and reproduce your Music over Xbox 360.

Can I use an HFS formatted external (WD My Book 2TB) to launch backups on my RGH 360 through FSD3?

Not sure

I know about setting paths, etc. etc.  Just simply want to see if FSD3 rev 775 accepts HFS to launch backups.

If you want to work with your external hard drive on the X-box, I advise you to do the formatting itself through X-box.

I know that there have been multiple threads on this.  Just wanted to get a definitive answer.

Thanks, in advance.

No it will not work with complete functionality.

You can connect your HFS+ compatible Media Player, such as iPod and reproduce your Music over Xbox 360.

iPods do not use HFS+ they are FAT32 because if they were HFS+ they wouldn't on Windows PCs.

iPods do not use HFS+ they are FAT32 because if they were HFS+ they wouldn't on Windows PCs.

If you formatted your iPod on Macs, you have HFS+ Filesystem on your iPod. It was important in the past, for sync your stuff with Mac Computers.

All iPods can use both File Systems

not to mention that it's possible to write a transparent driver for windows that adds support for HFS/HFS+ and others... if you know what you're doing... and i dare say that apple do know what they're doing ;)

Hey all,

So I've set up my new scan paths and everything is coming up properly in FSD.  I'm able to load the games off of the drive.  

However, the loading times are extremely slow.  They just seem to hang on load screens for about 5 minutes before being able to actually play.  Even gameplay is sluggish.  I've read that the actual DVD read speed isn't as fast as the 480mb read speed of the external HDD, so I'm confident that there is a way to get this to work properly.

I know that this speed issue can be due to a number of factors, such as HFS+ formatting vs. FAT32, USB 3.0 to 2.0 conversion, USB vs. SATA.  Are there any other things that I can try to perhaps fix this issue before needing to move everything and reformat to FAT32?

The games are all fine because the same games run smoothly from my 1TB internal HDD on my RGH

Thanks for the help on this.

You have tried to connect your external HD to different USB Ports to your Xbox 360 ?

I can only recommend, to format the HDD in FAT32, so you can store Data Files on the HD also. This is usually not possible under HFS +, on Xbox 360.

I haven't used different ports.  Do you think that would actually make a difference?

Also, does the console actually need to write to the External HDD?  Sorry if thats a dumb question.  If not, why would the Data Files matter?  Would that decrease load times?  It's just confusing because the DVD drive doesn't read nearly as fast as the external.

Mods - any ideas??

I haven't used different ports.  Do you think that would actually make a difference?

I would not rule it out

If you're using no additionally storage media (USB, MU), it is difficult to create game-saves.

There is no real usb 3 to 2 conversion. It uses usb 2.0 at its maximum.

If you dont use larger files than 3gb on your hdd i would recommend to format to fat32 or create partitions. The xbox can deal with fat32 properly.

If you dont use larger files than 3gb on your hdd i would recommend to format to fat32 or create partitions..

On FAT32 the max File Size is 4 GB.

• Like 1