RealModScene
Lightpost

I Need Experts' Advice whether to Update the Console Myself or Send it to the Experts for a Fee

A "Yes" or "No" answer would do but I'd really appreciate it if you can give me your opinion.

I need to tell you about my console first.

I got this brand new, unmodded US Xbox 360 S console almost 3 years ago. I didn't know anything about modding at all (I now know just a few jargons but still a noob).

I went to the people who RGHs consoles but was told that it's not possible to RGH it yet back then (Manufacture Date: 12/28/2011 - so that would mean it's a Corona). I had to wait for around half a year before it became possible to have it RGHed.

There were two places where I can have it modded; the first one told me that my console can boot within just a few seconds/won't be longer than a minute but it was really expensive (I could buy two wireless controllers).  So I went to the other one who offered a really cheap service, but the downside is that it usually takes 2 - 3 minutes for it to boot up. Longest was 5 - 6 if I'm patient enough. Otherwise I have to unplug/plug it back and try again.

They didn't provide me a backup of the important things I need to be able to do it on my own.

Currently, I have Dashboard Version: 2.0.155740.0 and have set it to boot directly to FSD 3. I already have XeXMenu successfully installed. 

Now I need to get it updated to play the latest games. I am obsessive-compulsive so following Tuts won't be an issue.

The thing is, I can't load XeLL to retrieve my CPU Key. The console won't even turn on with the Eject button. I installed the XeLL Folder and the XellLauncher but I only get a black screen for a couple of seconds and then it would reload FSD 3. I've researched all about it - even the Xell with Corona support doesn't work (I don't know what .bin file to use). I found someone who was able to get his Corona to display Xell via HDMI, which is quite unusual as most people say that Xell crashes if composite/component cables aren't used but that's not possible for me to try at the moment. I can only hook it up with my red, yellow, white cable that came with the console on my SD TV.

So I resorted to Dashlaunch and obtained the CPU and DVD Keys from there. I also see it showing Corona and the correct Kernel version.

Now I'm trying to dump my NAND. I first tried NAND Flasher 360 (the one with the grey GUI, some say that it doesn't work with Coronas but some were able to use it just fine) but it just showed a blank Mobo and 2 Bad Blocks. I still went ahead and tried to Dump NAND but it immediately gave me "Error: An error has occurred" message. I didn't touch anything.

I then tried Swizzy's Simple 360 NAND Flasher which gave me the "ERROR: Your dashboard is to old for this feature, sorry... use xell!" It still gave me the option to Dump the NAND so I pressed "X." I didn't get any errors and I eventually ended up with a 48.0 MB flashdmp.bin file.

I am not sure if the dumped NAND is not faulty so I'm still desperate to create a second dump of my NAND without having to use modding hardwares since I don't have one. The Xell method doesn't work for me. :-/

I really want to make sure that I have a working NAND but I don't know how.

I've already familiarized myself about the whole process by comparing different Tuts regarding updating my Corona - using XeBuild and applying the update on my console but I'm still having second thoughts of doing it. 

> What's the best way for me to check if the NAND I dumped is not full of errors and is safe to use?

> What's the worst case scenario if it turns out that my NAND is bad? Remember that I don't have any copies of the original NAND and other important things.

> Just in case I'll get brave enough to take the risks - I know that I shouldn't touch the console while it's flashing, no matter what happens - will the Simple 360 NAND Flasher allow me to abort the process just in case it gets an error? Will it let me roll it back if it doesn't make it halfway through the flashing?

> If ever the update goes through, I've read that some had issues running the games that previously work on a lower Dashboard after updating even if the Avatar-update thingy is installed, is it going to take a lot of work to fix that kind of issue?

> Do I have to update Freestyle Dash, XeXMenu, Dash Launch afterwards? Or will the existing ones remain intact?

So far those are the main things I'm worried about. I'm really sorry if I gave unnecessary details. It's just that I'm getting a really bad feeling that, no matter how careful I am in following all the Tuts available, I'd still end up bricking my console because of the questionable RGH! :-/

So guys, to sum it up, is my console safe enough to update it by myself even with its odd behavior (long boot times, won't load Xell, etc.)? I'd really appreciate it if you can answer the other questions as well. I can search the needed how-tos myself, thanks!

Cheers!

• Like 1

Are you able to reach your XBOX by webbrowser? If so ,then start your xbox by pressing the eject button to get into xell. Then type your IP Address into your browser on your pc.  If everything works fine, you'll get access to the xell's  WebUI. There you can than dump your NAND directly to the PC. Then update the nand following the huge amount of provided Tut's at the internet....

Are you able to reach your XBOX by webbrowser? If so ,then start your xbox by pressing the eject button to get into xell. Then type your IP Address into your browser on your pc.  If everything works fine, you'll get access to the xell's  WebUI. There you can than dump your NAND directly to the PC. Then update the nand following the huge amount of provided Tut's at the internet....

Hi there! Thanks for looking into this.

Sorry, but I can't load to XeLL at all. The console does nothing but makes the Eject sound when I touch the button while the console is off. I already tried to launch Xell via FSD's File Manager, it just gives me a black screen for a couple of seconds and then FSD will reload. The console is connected to an SD TV using the composite cable (red, yellow, white).

I already tried building the hacked image. Here's the XeBuild Log if it helps:

==================================

Swizzy's xeBuild GUI version 2.094

Log Started: Thursday 1/29/2015 6:21:04 PM

==================================

*** Some console information ***

ERROR: Unable to get CB version!ERROR: Unable to decrypt KV using specified CPUKey!

This means the log will NOT contain information from your keyvault, it can be caused by etheir badkey or badblock/corrupt keyvault

Using xell-reloaded for Glitch hack

Including dashlaunch... Done!

Including custom dashlaunch settings (launch.ini)... Done!

Copying nand to data directory, this may take a while... Done!

Checking if SMC is Glitch or Retail...

Dumping current SMC... Done!

Checking SMC...

SMC is Glitch patched! it will be used the way it is...

Parameters sent to xeBuild:

-noenter -t glitch2 -c corona4g -d data -f 17148 -b DD88AD0C9ED669E7B56794FB68563EFA -p <Removed CPUKey>   output.bin

Building nand using xeBuild (this may take a while):

---------------------------------------------------------------

xeBuild v1.13.689

base path changed to C:\Documents and Settings\Home\My Documents\Mark\Xbox 360\XeBuild GUI 2.094 (17148)\xeBuild_GUI_2.094 (17148)\files

---- { Image Build Mode } ----

building glitch2 image

output.bin image built, info:

Kernel    : 2.0.17148.0

Console   : Corona

NAND size : 48MiB MMC (system only)

Build     : Glitch (v2)

Xell      : power on console with console eject button

Serial    : 457938615305

ConsoleId : 505760281059

MoboSerial: 7910033120021535

Mfg Date  : 12/28/2011

CPU Key   : <Removed CPUKey>

1BL Key   : DD88AD0C9ED669E7B56794FB68563EFA

DVD Key   : <Removed DVD Key>

CF LDV    : 1

KV type   : type2 (hashed - unchecked, master key not available)

xeBuild Finished. Have a nice day.

Moving output to your destination directory... Done!

Cleaning data and temporary directories... Done!

****** The app has now finished! ******

Also, while trying to Check KV, I got an error that says "Unable to decrypt kv! either it's corrupt or the cpukey you supplied is incorrect!" I read that KVs are related to getting the modded console banned after connecting it to Xbox Live - which I did. Is this normal?

If ever I brick the console this way, can the experts (those with the hardware) get it to work again?

Thanks!

Hi there! Thanks for looking into this.

Sorry, but I can't load to XeLL at all. The console does nothing but makes the Eject sound when I touch the button while the console is off. I already tried to launch Xell via FSD's File Manager, it just gives me a black screen for a couple of seconds and then FSD will reload. The console is connected to an SD TV using the composite cable (red, yellow, white).

I already tried building the hacked image. Here's the XeBuild Log if it helps:

Also, while trying to Check KV, I got an error that says "Unable to decrypt kv! either it's corrupt or the cpukey you supplied is incorrect!" I read that KVs are related to getting the modded console banned after connecting it to Xbox Live - which I did. Is this normal?

If ever I brick the console this way, can the experts (those with the hardware) get it to work again?

Thanks!

Those errors are normal, however i highly recommend that you use the official package and not the unofficial one which you have there... and, follow this tutorial: http://xebuildtut.xeupd.com/ it'll also link you to the official xeBuild GUI package ;)

Seeing as you don't get a error from xeBuild (just the GUI) your key is a match, i haven't bothered fixing the 4GB/MMC corona support in xeBuild GUI for ages because i just haven't had much of a motivation to do it, and i've had plenty of other projects i've been working on... maybe some day during this year i'll have a new version with full support for all models and so on... but... not today...

It's quite difficult to brick a Xbox 360 beyond repair by just using software, it's quite possible to brick it to the point where it becomes difficult to fix it, but... it's rare... and only if you write an image with a corrupt SMC or a SMC for a different version then the one that's meant for this model of the console... (not likely to happen if you use xeBuild GUI, JRunner or AutoGG)

any project with iso mounter ?

What are you trying to ask exactly?

did you working on add support for ntfs filesystem with a iso loader ?

the only thing what i missing with rgh is the handling of games (iso files) as it is.

did you working on add support for ntfs filesystem with a iso loader ?

the only thing what i missing with rgh is the handling of games (iso files) as it is.

Nope, haven't worked on that, because it's not particularly easy to do... even so... it's not really worth it...