RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
falaga

Compatibility Packs for xboxunity.net

Hey guys,

I am downloading TU7 for all versions of Advanced Warfare right now and I am gonna upload them later, but I also found out that you need a compatiblity pack. So, cant it be possible to offer Comp packs through xboxunity? Most of the players are not gonna know where to get it and how to install it and will stay on TU6 I guess.

• Like 1

In the past it was mentioned, that there will be no support in the Future for Compatiblity Packs over Xboxunity, because of Copyright issues.

(too late :)

Yes, I just remembered it :D

Well, As I said it would be very nice, because the most people will stay on TU6 just because of this.

But arent Comp packs the same like TUs?

They are for free, and are including updates.

• Like 1

Free stuff is free stuff.

TUs are also in the xbox live conditions and licence agreement.

I dont see reasoning licence problems in this case. Many covers and screenshots are in unity. We have xdk homebrew. If these wouldnt be licenced why would you publish stuff and host all legit? Either way if you do you would have the rights like we all do and if you didnt have we already are here now.

I know they would have to change and add code and concepts. Also hosting this content is the problem. I know that these are the main problems. Not licences. Legal or illegal both are already done. And this would still be legal. But of course nothing to do so no worry at all. Thats my opinion

Free stuff is free stuff.

TUs are also in the xbox live conditions and licence agreement.

I dont see reasoning licence problems in this case. Many covers and screenshots are in unity. We have xdk homebrew. If these wouldnt be licenced why would you publish stuff and host all legit? Either way if you do you would have the rights like we all do and if you didnt have we already are here now.

I know they would have to change and add code and concepts. Also hosting this content is the problem. I know that these are the main problems. Not licences. Legal or illegal both are already done. And this would still be legal. But of course nothing to do so no worry at all. Thats my opinion

Actually, TU's aren't locked per-console like DLC is... Compatibility packs are DLC... it wouldn't be legal in all countries due to that fact... as you'd have to remove the DRM before using it...

In addition to this, we'd have to trust our users to ONLY upload "free" DLC... there is no flag in the DLC file that says "this is free DLC" or "this is a compatibility pack which means it's free" we'd have to check the name, and even that wouldn't be a guarantee that it's legal to host it...

Also hosting this content is the problem. I know that these are the main problems.

Swizzy has explained the problem with storing of DLC Content stuff on Xbox Unity, to you in detail in the past. At first there are legal problems.

What about media ids? arent these kinda locks

Locks? what do you mean?

Media ID is just a ID assigned by microsoft for this build of the game, it can be a localized version for a specific market, or something else... it have nothing to do with locking anything... previously it was believed that MediaID was used to identify what TU to use... it's not, what really matters is the Base Version, however MediaID often differ between the Base Versions

• Like 1

Well. There are DLCs without locks/DRM like the kader updates for the football simulators. What about them?

You mean rosters? like troop changes etc.?

They might be legal to have, but... they're not actually DLC in the same sense... and, are you really 100% sure they're DRM free? just because you don't download them from the xbox live store doesn't mean they don't have any DRM licenses embedded in them...

@saywaking which game are you talking about? Maybe I can download the update you mean and check it myself.

@saywaking which game are you talking about? Maybe I can download the update you mean and check it myself.

Any somewhat recent Fifa, NHL, NBA etc. will have in-game roster updates which essentially contain information about which players switched teams etc. etc. during the running season or whatever

A little update: I just downloaded the latest Compatibility Pack for Borderlands 2 from Xbox Live.
Description:

Please download this FREE compatibility pack to allow for co-op play. without this pack there may be differences in the Host & Co-op players game due to Addon releases, so all users are encouraged to download this pack before attempting co-op play. If you are experiencing issues with co-op, please redownload this pack and have all other players do so as well.

However, it had no specific IDs. Didnt modify it.

Screenshot:
risgof3u.png

If I could share this with other members through xboxunity.net, it would be awesome. Many players dont have a comp pack, so they can't play together. And as there wont be any DLCs anymore for Borderlands 2, this is the last Comp Pack and the only one that people would need.

Still will be copyright protected, which means it's illegal to share...

• Like 1

Still will be copyright protected, which means it's illegal to share...

Whats the difference to Title Updates then? Sorry, but I do not really see a difference.

Whats the difference to Title Updates then? Sorry, but I do not really see a difference.

TU's don't contain copyright material, they contain patches... see the difference? these are DLC... actual content... TU's are just patches...

• Like 1

TU's don't contain copyright material, they contain patches... see the difference? these are DLC... actual content... TU's are just patches...

But you don't play things you would have needed to pay for if you download Comp Packs. This might be a stupid question, but couldn't we ask Microsoft for permission? I mean they seem to have nothing against the TUs. And there are also no losses in form of $, so why should they even care?

But you don't play things you would have needed to pay for if you download Comp Packs. This might be a stupid question, but couldn't we ask Microsoft for permission? I mean they seem to have nothing against the TUs. And there are also no losses in form of $, so why should they even care?

It's not microsoft that holds the copyright, it's the publishers...

• Like 1

It's not microsoft that holds the copyright, it's the publishers...

So basically if we'd ask a specific publisher for permission and he aggrees, it would be ok to offer it on xboxunity?

So basically if we'd ask a specific publisher for permission and he aggrees, it would be ok to offer it on xboxunity?

Well, i'm not the one in charge, but.. it'd make it legal if they agree with us distributing it...

• Like 1