RealModScene
Dracinn

Xbox Backwards Compatiability Petition?

What would work? and where? you need to specify a few more details...

What would work? and where? you need to specify a few more details...

I was thinking of running a petition to Microsoft to release original xbox emulator from the devkits. maybe even a frontend for configuration.

I doubt they will... and devkits don't have anything better then what you have from retail...

What about that 8829 release? Although I do understand the frontend is from xorloser I believe.

That was reversed stuff i think... i'm no expert on the subject, but afaik Microsoft never released any source code related to Xbox or Xbox 360, the only source code they handed out was samples for developers in the devkit to explain how to get started with writing games for the Xbox 360 and how to use the new Xbox 360 specific features they've added since launch...

• Like 1

It really sucks they dont, but I can honestly say that I have rarely seen any code, that wasnt with visual studio to demonstrate how to do anything, and that was with just about every version.

They never even released the code for windows 1.0, which hardly ran at all. lol. So good luck trying to get anything from microsoft, especially for a product they are still supporting.

Even from my limited experience I found that M$ isnt keen on publicizing the inner workings of their hardware, which is understandable, as it is proprietary.

The only way one could ever build the perfect emulation/backward compatibility would be to know not how a piece of software runs, but rather how it utilizes the hardware it was purposely build to run on.

Once one has the knowledge of that, it will be possible to recreate the needed utilization within a different hardware scenario..

I believe M$ themselves are a bit baffled with the current Xbox One / 360 compatibility possibility, as the hardware is completely different and new compared to previous gen, and even though 10 years old, the high technicality and "speciality" of it made it no easier for themselves..

So my vote would be a negative, as the focus currently lies on next gen, and I believe they would rather utilize the man hours to ensure the future of the current console, aiming to compete with the former..

Sent from my Cellular Communication Device with the assistance of Tapatalk

The 360 would be able to cover much more xbox 1 games. That is a big company which is able to do it. There is this one guy who is trying to create a 360 emulator. I dont say there has to be perfect emulation of course there is a limit but proof of concepts are there. I believe there is always more possible than its always currently possible. Skill is important. Many things needs dilligence to be done properly. Sometimes its not worth it.

The 360 would be able to cover much more xbox 1 games. That is a big company which is able to do it.

Some of the Xbox 1 Games are very close to the hardware programmed and used special low level Features on Xbox 1 hardware. It is not all about an emulator feasible, because there are technical limitations, you can not just bypass easily. Of course, Microsoft have good programmers, but they can't do magic.

• Like 1

Some of the Xbox 1 Games are very close to the hardware programmed and used special low level Features on Xbox 1 hardware. It is not all about an emulator feasible, because there are technical limitations, you can not just bypass easily. Of course, Microsoft have good programmers, but they can't do magic.

It's all possible, it's just a matter of thinking far enough outside of the box... but, that kind of things are hard to do when you've got someone breathing down your neck wanting results like yesterday...

• Like 1

It's all possible, it's just a matter of thinking far enough outside of the box... but, that kind of things are hard to do when you've got someone breathing down your neck wanting results like yesterday...

it's a debatable point, how it runs then. Just to emulate the CPU instruction Set x86 and the Direct3D API, is not enough (maybe if the Xbox 1 Game Coders, have worked in the past, much with Abstraction Layers). If this had not been a big problem, Microsoft had developed Patches for all Xbox 1 Games certainly too in the past (which very hardware near programmed) and we have already a fully operative (homebrew) Xbox 1 emulator for 360/PC.

The Xeon Emulator runs only one Game (Halo Combat Evolved) and not error free, Cxbx is not directly an emulator, it convert a Xbox 1 Game, to a Windows executable. DxBx  runs some XDK Samples and precious few Games. There is no real  Xbox 1 Homebrew Emulator. Perhaps someone released a fully working Xbox 1 Emulator, in the future, but I do not believe it.

• Like 1

The Xeon Emulator runs only one Game (Halo Combat Evolved) and not error free, Cxbx is not directly an emulator, it convert a Xbox 1 Game, to a Windows executable. DxBx  runs some XDK Samples and precious few Games. There is no real  Xbox 1 Homebrew Emulator. Perhaps someone released a fully working Xbox 1 Emulator, in the future, but I do not believe it.

Don't be so negative!

Eventually someone WILL release a emulator that does support all games... it's just a matter of time and someone being willing to take on the challenge...