RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
beginner

Default 0.4 skin modified to switch A and Y buttons

As I really liked the idea of switching A and Y buttons, which was originally suggested by Grebbin7780 here: http://www.realmodscene.com/index.php?/topic/4452-aurora-04b-released/?p=35579

I made this customization to the default skin of Aurora 0.4 so that you can now in main screen press A button to view game details and press Y button to launch the game.

Default_ay.xzp

• Like 2

for most people it is just getting used to, if you never use F3 anymore, you get used to it pretty quick :p

on the other hand, everybody has his/her preferences, and people making their own skins is the best way to go

(we can;t build in every single option :p)

thanks for this!

Would this even be possible without skinning?

Well yeah, anything is possible... it's a matter of knowing how ;)

WOW, what a great encouragement guys!! Next time I will keep it to myself  :huh:

Kidding of course :D Thank you everyone for passing by

Hey beginner, yes good idea and kudos to you for getting it done.

Is there a chance you could do a version of this reverse skin with a semi translucent game detail panel? No point in having background art if you can't see it cause it's hidden.

Thanks in hope.

• Like 1

Hey beginner, yes good idea and kudos to you for getting it done.

Is there a chance you could do a version of this reverse skin with a semi translucent game detail panel? No point in having background art if you can't see it cause it's hidden.

Thanks in hope.

The attached skin will look like this:

2n7qvk4.png

This is 50% opacity :)

I don't know how to make the cover itself transparent, but... i can probably figure that out later... or you can just modify the coverflow layout you use to not show it there...

Default_ay_50p.xzp

• Like 1

That was quick. Cheers Swizzy. Downloading now.

The  game cover is fine as it is, so no need for extra work on my behalf.

• Like 1

Ive found a skin that made the opacity right. Only the box is transparent not the text and icons. Looks great. Check it out in the forum. Skin name is blue shadow

That was quick. Cheers Swizzy. Downloading now.

The  game cover is fine as it is, so no need for extra work on my behalf.

I thought myself about that point, and I found it really hard to resolve. The transparency will make it hard to view components. I thought about shrinking the whole panel size, but that will affect the core of this scene: viewing game details.

So I finally decided that it's better for me to keep it as it is, and hold BACK button when I want to see the background ;)

<-- Noob Here

I am interested to know how you changed what the buttons did. As mentioned, I am a noob so please be gentle.

OK, so you will need "XZP Tool" to decompress the skin .xzp file and compress it later when you finish editing skin files.

Also you will need "XUI Tool" - which is part of Xbox SDK - to open and edit the skin ".XUR" files.

Changing those buttons was done in file "Aurora_Main.xur". So open this file in XUI Tool, first save as XUI file, then after you finish export binary as XUR file again.

To switch buttons: open the file in XUI Tool, then go to > Application layer > LaunchButton.

In properties, change Visual field from "XuiGamepad_A" to "XuiGamepad_Y" and this will change the look of the button. Then change PressKey field from "VK_PAD_A" to "VK_PAD_Y" and this will chance the button you press to trigger the button.

Then do the opposite in > Application Layer > DetailsButton

A small tip: before opening files in XUI Tool, save "Aurora_Skin.xur" as XUI then > File > Load Skin > then choose that XUI.

That will make any skin file you open later show as they appear on XBOX.

I hope that helps, and forgive me for any mistakes because I only knew all those stuff by myself just 2 weeks ago without any documentation :D

Good tutorial. It is good to know that if I later find a favorite skin I can switch the buttons myself! Thanks again beginner!

Exactly!! It's a very simple process that usually takes few seconds if you already have the tools.