RealModScene
hihi

Dashlaunch Fan Speed

Hi there,

All this time I been leaving dashlaunch in its default config (no launch.ini at all).

After reading around, I decided to set all the target temps to 60 because I noticed that during playing, the CPU temp rises above 65C.

The question is, do I need to override the fan speed? The default is set to 55.

It should be left auto right? Which means uncheck the option?

Thanks.

Hi there,

All this time I been leaving dashlaunch in its default config (no launch.ini at all).

After reading around, I decided to set all the target temps to 60 because I noticed that during playing, the CPU temp rises above 65C.

The question is, do I need to override the fan speed? The default is set to 55.

It should be left auto right? Which means uncheck the option?

Thanks.

You should leave the fanspeed set to auto, but change the target temperatures

• Like 1

With target temp set, it is now around 60 to 65, I think that should be ok, else I will set the target temp even lower :)

You should leave the fanspeed set to auto, but change the target temperatures

i usualy set cpu fan override to 80 in summer. you mean that's not good?

and what is the optimal target temps

i usualy set cpu fan override to 80 in summer. you mean that's not good?

and what is the optimal target temps

That's incredibly stupid, if anything set it to 100%

Optimal target temps depend on model and surrounding temperatures... basically, set it as low as you want it to be, monitor the temps and check sound... is this acceptable to you? then you've got good settings!

You probably won't get below 40, so anything above that but below 80 should be what you aim for ;)

Hey Swizzy, do I really need to increase the fan speed and target temperatures? I thought the default configuration was good, but I always see people talking about increasing the fan

Hey Swizzy, do I really need to increase the fan speed and target temperatures? I thought the default configuration was good, but I always see people talking about increasing the fan

Well, you don't really NEED it... the thing is, if you change the target temps you'll have your console last longer, it works fine with default settings from factory, but it does get quite warm, if you don't mind a little extra noise coming from the console, changing the temps might just make the console survive a couple of years longer...

I have my 360 for three years and never had a problem, but I think this kinda stuff tends to break someday

And I think Microsoft would not screw it up 2 times, the old model had a bad lifespan, the S model I have should last longer

And the consoles nowadays have less durability than the consoles from the past, my PS2 never failed me

But I don't know nothing, so who knows lol

The really old consoles (NES and older for) are WAY more durable then any of today's consoles (ever since they started working with lasers the consoles have degraded in lifespan quality, all playstations have had problems with the laser burning out somewhat early, some lucky ppl like you i assume have had their lasers work for a long time...) since Xbox 360/PS3 the motherboard itself start overheating as well...

• Like 1

Actually, my PS2 failed one time, but not because of the laser

One day my energy started to go on and off, and then something on the PS2 burned out, I don't remember what

Luckily my electricity company paid the repair, hehe

Anyway, how do I know if my Xbox is overheating? When I look at the temperature it is always some degrees down from the limit, and when I play some demanding games it peaks at the limit but never goes up from what is set (the default values)

Actually, my PS2 failed one time, but not because of the laser

One day my energy started to go on and off, and then something on the PS2 burned out, I don't remember what

Luckily my electricity company paid the repair, hehe

Anyway, how do I know if my Xbox is overheating? When I look at the temperature it is always some degrees down from the limit, and when I play some demanding games it peaks at the limit but never goes up from what is set (the default values)

Ok, so overheating is maybe the wrong word to use, but basically... the console is running at such a high temperature that the components inside slowly degrade in quality over time faster then they would under normal circumstances... and, the board becomes a little bit soft or how i should call it, basically it bends easier due to the heat... the x-clamp(s) causes the board to slightly warp due to this... over time this causes the processor to no longer have full contact with the board, this is what causes RROD

• Like 1

When the CPU can take a limit of 80°C, it does not mean it's healthy for it to stay so for a long period of time. I recommend to set the limit down to 70°C.

Ok, so overheating is maybe the wrong word to use, but basically... the console is running at such a high temperature that the components inside slowly degrade in quality over time faster then they would under normal circumstances... and, the board becomes a little bit soft or how i should call it, basically it bends easier due to the heat... the x-clamp(s) causes the board to slightly warp due to this... over time this causes the processor to no longer have full contact with the board, this is what causes RROD

Nice, thanks for the explanation

I personally have fan speed at 85% which is loud but i prefer lifespan over silence.

If you prefer lifespan over silence, change target temps instead of setting a static fanspeed like that... or set it to 100%...

Rule of thumb is if you can hear the 360 fans you don't have your sound output device turned up enough :p .Its cheaper to replce fans than a console so let em rip.My temps for processor are well under 50c,not sure how long my fan bearings will last tho..lol..

@swizzy

i've had one of my jtags nxe updated to dash .17151,can  i use dashlaunch 3.4 for dash version 150 ok as in link below unless there's another updated one somewhere.

http://www.realmodscene.com/index.php?/topic/4616-dashlaunch-314-17150-kernel-support-added/

Rule of thumb is if you can hear the 360 fans you don't have your sound output device turned up enough :p .Its cheaper to replce fans than a console so let em rip.My temps for processor are well under 50c,not sure how long my fan bearings will last tho..lol..

@swizzy

i've had one of my jtags nxe updated to dash .17151,can  i use dashlaunch 3.4 for dash version 150 ok as in link below unless there's another updated one somewhere.

http://www.realmodscene.com/index.php?/topic/4616-dashlaunch-314-17150-kernel-support-added/

There's 17151 now? when did it come out?

You should be able to use any dashlaunch installer to ocnfigure any version, but... some of the older ones may be slightly broken...

There's 17151 now? when did it come out?

You should be able to use any dashlaunch installer to ocnfigure any version, but... some of the older ones may be slightly broken...

To much i can't read...lol..there is no 151 its 150 damned if i know what i was looking at grrrrrr

Most probably in settings either in dash launch or whatever dash assuming there's an option to turn it off or it may require a bit of coding knowledge to edit some file somewhere

How to display the GPU/CPU temperature?

You can do so using multiple methods, the Dashlaunch installer have support for showing it (only while it's running), dashlaunch itself also have 2 methods of doing so, "shuttemps" will show you the temperatures when you hold the guide button to open the shutdown menu... and there's "tempbcast" which enables you to view your temperatures using your computer at all times using this tool: http://www.homebrew-connection.org/dashlaunch-temp-monitor-v1-4/ this also allows you to see the temperature changes over time :)

with the FSD plugin loaded you can also see the temperatures by opening the guide menu (press the guide button and release it)