RealModScene
BytePir8

exturnal drive

Hi all

Ok just a quick question,

what is the largest exturnal hdd supported at the moment?

i understand that it has to be 1 partition and fat 32, correct?

cheers

Byte

Above 2gb is gpt. Swizzy why it does not support it?

The Fat32 Filesystem only supports single files sizes of 2GB or smaller and a total drive capacity of 2TB. That is just the way the Filesystem was designed. NTFS does not have these limitations but is NOT currently supported by the Xbox360.

Above 2gb is gpt. Swizzy why it does not support it?

You'd have to ask Microshit why they decided to not include NTFS (their own damn format!) even read-only would be enough for them really...

They could've included support for GPT aswell, but they didn't... it only supports MBR and FAT (FAT16, FAT32 and FATX [XTAF as it's bytereversed, not to be confused with exFAT]) i think it also supports some MAC formats (HFS+ i believe it was?)

The Fat32 Filesystem only supports single files sizes of 2GB or smaller and a total drive capacity of 2TB. That is just the way the Filesystem was designed. NTFS does not have these limitations but is NOT currently supported by the Xbox360.

The Single File Size of FAT32 is 4GB per Peak. On FAT 16 the File Size is limited to 2GB per File.

• Like 1

The Single File Size of FAT32 is 4GB per Peak. On FAT 16 the File Size is limited to 2GB per File.

Sorry you are correct, I mixed that up. Thank you Gonzo :D

I now the Xbox Kernel is around 2MB Size. How much space do you have, to inject your own code (for example, to add a new File System) ?

Partitioning does not work it a simple way. Forcing formatting into fat 32 did not work for me as it caused errors. The xbox found the hdd but games crashed always. Adding new filesystem would need reverse engeneering i guess...

Partitioning does not work it a simple way. Forcing formatting into fat 32 did not work for me as it caused errors. The xbox found the hdd but games crashed always. Adding new filesystem would need reverse engeneering i guess...

If you use proper methods and use GOOD tools there shouldn't be any problems, however... it could be an issue with the transfer/harddrive aswell

I'd recommend that you start by cleaning up the partition table and rebuilding it, once that's done, i recommend that you also use a FAT32 ONLY formatting tool such as GUIFormat

I used many tools. And i dont know anyone with working 3gb in fat32 and no issues on xbox.

I used also your tools but i also thing different hdds behave different.

The guitool cant format 3gb gpt.

Thanks guys thought 2tb was the limit

is there anyway to partition a 3tb and just use 2tb for the xbox?

what's the score on this with the xboxone?

lol being 48 i guess nobody is going to buy me 1 for xmas  haha  :(

then again it's black friday in 4 hours   ;)

You can partition the (3TB) hard drive to a primary Fat32, 2 TB partition. It should run  but some HDs are bitching around (It is not clear what  the problem is). The Xbox One uses for the internal HD the NTFS file format. For external HDs they use a proprietary format, that  is almost equal to NTFS.

I used many tools. And i dont know anyone with working 3gb in fat32 and no issues on xbox.

3GB? what cave you live in?

• Like 1

Either Way, FAT32 doesn't support a filesystem > 2TB, it's just not possible... think of it this way; the maximum values it can hold is 32-bit, the highest number of bytes a 32-bit value can hold is this: 2147483647, as you can see, it's just not possible to do > 2TB (do this: 2 * 1024 * 1024 * 1024 and you'll see it's right about the same value as the maximum 32-bit value: 2147483648 so, again... 2TB is maximum it supports, you might understand where the numbers come in for FAT32 now? (32-bit FAT, FAT stands for File Allocation Tables)

• Like 1

Yes but why does partitioning not work?

It works with MBR format only and with paragon partition manager only but it leads to reboots because of the wrong/missing sectors.

Yes but why does partitioning not work?

It works with MBR format only and with paragon partition manager only but it leads to reboots because of the wrong/missing sectors.

What do you mean? why the Xbox 360 cannot read GPT? or?

The File Allocation Table in FAT32, can only address 32Bit. It makes no difference, what kind of formatting program you use. You can only access 2 TB under FAT32. Further its not possible to use GPT formatted HDs under Xbox 360, because 64 Bit Logical Block Addressing (which is required for access)  is unsupported on Xbox 360.

• Like 1

ok guys, got a 3tb WD purple drive will partition it at 2tb, make primery and fat32

if it don't work have a couple of 2tb seagate hdds, but think 1 maybe on it's way out the

other is full of what ever lol

don't realy trust them with my iso collection ;0

will report back when i got all my sh*t together

cheers

Byte

Well i knew the problem that GPT is unsupported so i used MBR.

I tried that and it gets automatically partioned into two partitions. 2+1TB

The GUITool i used for years throws errors on that. I tried so many stuff for weeks and gave up. I had an intenso and i still saw no one with working 3TB so i would not recommend buying for the xbox

got a samsung D3 3tb ext hdd, have split @ 2tb  fat32 and rest ntfs, moving 375gb xbla collection on to ntfs partition now

will test 2tb as soon as files trabsfer is finished,

having to movr stuff around so i can check 1 of the 2tb drives aswell

still need to clear out wd 3tb so i can repartition it

man it takes ages the bigger the bloody drives get

as they say....... to be continued  hehe couldn't resist that 1  lol

• Like 1

have had no luck with samsung D3 3tb drive, used EaseUs partition master 10.1, made 2tb,  fat32, primary + leftover as ntfs

does not show, however it does give the "drive refreshing" blurb at bottom of screen.

Have put 2tb seagate onto same usb 3 controller and it shows first time.

made all partitions and formats using EaseUs partition master.

made content/0000000000000000 folders and god files load no probs, as soon as i finish clearing other

drives will test them, also will try diferent progs to format D3 3tb and retest