RealModScene
timelesspa

dash issues

basically lm having issues getting the dash working again.

long story short l had issues (E79 error) with my old hard drive, l havent had it since its been removed and lve decided to install the dash to a thumb drive (and have games on an external.

l managed to copy off all the content on my old xbox hard drive and decided to copy the dash over as well everything seems to of copied over fine (gamesaves etc are loading fine on the basic xbox dash), however lve had problems trying to point the launch.ini.. lve tried it manually but cant seem to find the right setting lve tried the following usb0 and LUsb1/2 but l still get the basic dash, l also tried running the fsd disk but it wont seem to load so l was wondering if there were other ways to get dashlaunch running or if there are any settings lm missing in order to get my xbox running again.

Set the Default line to UsbMu:\.

It sounds like you have formatted the USB stick with the console to create an XBOX 360 storage device (USB Memory Unit).

well it worked before l changed the drive to a usb memory stick.. as previously mentioned l was getting E79 errors from the drive in fact ld gotten a few in a row last time l tried booting.

strangely tho, l tried the drive again as l was having trouble finding the right setting in the launch.ini and so l tried putting in the old drive and managed to get FSD up but when l updated the usb thumb drive with the label it was under on fsd which seemed to be UsbMu0 (or at least thats where the files l copied to the thumb drive are located.

fyi this is my launch.ini contents:

[QuickLaunchButtons]
Default = UsbMu0:\FreeStyle\default.xex
[settings]
nxemini = true
pingpatch = true

but destpite fsd saying the drive is under that l can get it to sporatically work from the hdd, tho the reason lm trying to get it to run from a thumb drive is just in case there is a hardware issue l can get around if its not the drive (as lm planning on running intensive tests on it once lve freed it up, that way l can use it externally and have more games space.

in fact would it mess things up if l opened up fsd using the hdd loaded dashlaunch and pointed it to the usb thumb drive or would it still try and put a launch.ini on the hdd but just point to the installation l copied to the thumb drive? because l want to do away with the hdd if that makes sense.

well it worked before l changed the drive to a usb memory stick.. as previously mentioned l was getting E79 errors from the drive in fact ld gotten a few in a row last time l tried booting.

strangely tho, l tried the drive again as l was having trouble finding the right setting in the launch.ini and so l tried putting in the old drive and managed to get FSD up but when l updated the usb thumb drive with the label it was under on fsd which seemed to be UsbMu0 (or at least thats where the files l copied to the thumb drive are located.

fyi this is my launch.ini contents:

but destpite fsd saying the drive is under that l can get it to sporatically work from the hdd, tho the reason lm trying to get it to run from a thumb drive is just in case there is a hardware issue l can get around if its not the drive (as lm planning on running intensive tests on it once lve freed it up, that way l can use it externally and have more games space.

in fact would it mess things up if l opened up fsd using the hdd loaded dashlaunch and pointed it to the usb thumb drive or would it still try and put a launch.ini on the hdd but just point to the installation l copied to the thumb drive? because l want to do away with the hdd if that makes sense.

It needs to be USBMU:\ dashlaunch doesn't understand USBMU0:\ as if you have more then one, this value will change between the devices depending on which one is the fastest...

I'd recommend you putting FSD on USB:\ instead, that way you have full access using nothing more then windows explorer in case of problems with FSD in the future ;)

Put the launch.ini on the usb, that way if you wanna change in the future, just remove the usb and you have a different config :)

that helped! (sort of) l popped fsd (which l copied from the hdd where it was originally installed) onto a thumb drive formatted as fat32 it finally tried to load the dash!!! tho it crashed as it tried to load LOL could this be down to the fact its not a new installation and just copied from the old hard drive which may have problems, planning on running it through seatools or something to see if the drive was failing and maybe run it as a external if it is now.

this is the settings l made to the launch.ini

[QuickLaunchButtons]
Default = Usb:\FreeStyle\default.xex
[settings]
nxemini = true
pingpatch = true

is there anything l can do to get it to load and not crash that l might have missed?

tho l guess l could reinstall fsd, lve taken a quick gander but can someone link me to a readme on how to or rather where to inject fsd so l can use the nxe to install fsd if its going to be easier than just trying to get my older installation working?

also which version would be best to install as lve seen a few differnt version in the fsd forum.

Try deleting the Data folder, if it still don't work, just delete everything in that folder and download the latest version from this forum and put there :)

The avatar support is installed to a totally different place, they're not part of FSD/F3 at all, they're used yes, but they're not installed anywhere within FSD/F3

• Like 1

THANKYOU!!! l deleted everything within the fsd directory and lm finally into the dash without problem.

this leaves me with one question, lm going to be adding an external drive in a usb caddy in addition to the usb drive will there be issues if they are both treated as normal usb devices? or should l just stick to having 1 usb device attatched at one time while the rest are either memory/usb memory units as lm going to be using a usb hub as well which l know works (its passive and powered so if l need extra power l have it), the main reason l ask is because l assume game saves have to go on a UsbMu or xbox formatted drive (not sure if its the same for TU updates) otherwise lm slightly pushed for space until lve tested and seen if the old 320gb drive has problems or not.

You can use up to 3 drives iirc at the same time, this includes USBMU... so, you can have 2 USBMU + 1 "normal" USB, or 1 USBMU + 2 "normal" etc.

Everything "360 related" meaning; DLC, Savegames and TU's have to be on a "Xbox Dashboard Readable Memory", meaning; If you can see it in the NXE dashboard (and put stuff on it from there) you can use it.. this is USBMU, HDD and every other "official" product

hmm, that might limit me on large games, got pish all space on the 64gb thumb drive.. that said technically l might be able to use the other HD as an external memory unit.

long story short lve just finished testing the 320gb drive that was originally connected to the xbox.. lve spent a good 4 hours on it, grabbed the Western digital tool (Data Life Guard Diagnostic tool) and ran the quick and extended tests in full and both gave me passing grades on the drive.

suffice to say lm going to pop it in the external caddy lve still got a backup of both dashes (seems l had to clear the data dir on each drive lve copied the files to) which means l could use the SSD for things like DLC content etc especially if its as large as the Skyrim DLCs.

either way its useful to know, the only question is where the problem is considering the drive passed both short and extended tests, hopefully it wont affect me again since lm going to try use the drive externally.

hmm, that might limit me on large games, got pish all space on the 64gb thumb drive.. that said technically l might be able to use the other HD as an external memory unit.

long story short lve just finished testing the 320gb drive that was originally connected to the xbox.. lve spent a good 4 hours on it, grabbed the Western digital tool (Data Life Guard Diagnostic tool) and ran the quick and extended tests in full and both gave me passing grades on the drive.

suffice to say lm going to pop it in the external caddy lve still got a backup of both dashes (seems l had to clear the data dir on each drive lve copied the files to) which means l could use the SSD for things like DLC content etc especially if its as large as the Skyrim DLCs.

either way its useful to know, the only question is where the problem is considering the drive passed both short and extended tests, hopefully it wont affect me again since lm going to try use the drive externally.

You could check the S.M.A.R.T information using CrystalDiskInfo, if it gives you warnings or such, it's a dying harddrive despite what those tests said... (it usually gives this result when there's sectors that has failed to write or so which is a sign of dying harddrives)

If it's working fine externally, it's probably the SATA cable inside of your console, you're using a slim right? those use a direct SATA cable, while the phats use a converter to a different port that's more resistant to wear...

actually my console is a phat, that said the few times since l got the bits to sort things out to have the drive externally l had not received any E79 errors, tho before they were sort of sporadically turning up.

still theres no reason l cant test the drive with what you recommended to see if that picks up something the WD tool didnt. l'll run a few short tests before l go to bed then run longer ones later.

guess it wasnt what l thought it was lol, just ran it on the drive and its showing as good, tho annoyingly l decided to try it out on my PC and see what my drives were up to and lve got 2 cautions on different drives :/