RealModScene
Sign in to follow this  
outofwork

Lost 2 TB external hard drive tonight

Once again apologies for being a continuing PITA BUT (pun intended) right after I had run Aurora and gone back into FSD's Fie Manager most of the entries under Drive List have disappeared.  The only ones that remain are Game, HDD1 and USB0.  Am I becoming paranoid, am I seeing things or did Aurora do something that eliminates access to these other "Drives" via FSD's File Manager?

Thanks,

outofwork

Aurora shouldn't be causing that, however... the other locations are "advanced", which is a setting in FSD if memory serves me right... go check on that ;)

The saga continues... after I deleted the database entries the rescan for XEX and XBLA got covers for about 600+ games which it should have.  However, what happened is that when I try to run a regular game the covers don't match up with the NAME bar as you move through the covers.  When I select the game to run based on the NAME that appears in the rectangular silver bar and not the cover picture it takes forever to load.  When I load the same game via the FSD File Manager it loads very quickly.  I thought that powering the console off and then back on might resolve the problem but it didn't.  I don't see any option to resync the covers and the games. 

The saga continues... after I deleted the database entries the rescan for XEX and XBLA got covers for about 600+ games which it should have.  However, what happened is that when I try to run a regular game the covers don't match up with the NAME bar as you move through the covers.  When I select the game to run based on the NAME that appears in the rectangular silver bar and not the cover picture it takes forever to load.  When I load the same game via the FSD File Manager it loads very quickly.  I thought that powering the console off and then back on might resolve the problem but it didn't.  I don't see any option to resync the covers and the games. 

And you are still sticking to FSD?

Naughty! try Aurora... you'll have much less headaches ;)

It's faster, It doesn't have issues with names/covers (unless there's a issue with the uploaded cover and one of the moderators/admins was tired when approving although some homebrew might be missidentified), it has pretty much everything you really need from FSD, it also have new things...

In short... Aurora is the future :)

• Like 1

I didn't realize that Aurora was a complete replacement for FSD.  After all the problems since the drive failed I am definitely leaning that way.  Time to dig in for the details on Aurora and how to set it up.  Is there a tutorial for those of us who are on the periphery so-to-speak?  :scooter:  

The video is very cool.  Can I assume that Dashlaunch needs to be modified so it boots directly into Aurora instead of FSD?  I'm not sure how it actually works so I am guessing as you can probably tell.

You install it by simply copying it...

Once that's done, you can either boot it using FSD, XEXMenu or Dashlaunch... i'd recommend starting with FSD to see that it works at all, once you've established that everything works you can set it up for autoboot with dashlaunch :)

I'd recommend having XEXMenu installed on your console aswell as a backup in case of issues...

• Like 1

As you indicated Aurora is very slick.  I am impressed with the amount of work that had to have gone into Aurora.

A few questions as always:

1) Is there a text editor that is available so I can edit files without having to go back to the PC to edit files?

2) Do I simply copy Aurora to HDD, put it in a new folder and create a path statement for launch.ini that would look like this:

hdd:\Aurora\aurora.xex

Can I assume that when I press the Home button that the game will exit and reload Aurora?

3) Here is the launch.ini for FSD:

[QuickLaunchButtons]
Default = hdd:\FreeStyle\default.xex
[settings]
nxemini = true
pingpatch = true

Do I need a similar structure for Aurora?  If so, what settings if any are necessary?  FYI, I do not plan on running any games on-line via Aurora.

4) Did Dashlaunch create the launch.ini for FSD based on the options chosen?  Do I need to run Dashlaunch and have it create a new launch.ini for Aurora?

5) Is XexMenu 1.1 from 2010 the most current version?

Apologies for all the questions.  I checked the tutorials but might have missed the setup details.

Also, a year ago or so I contributed some money to Team FSD via Paypal can I assume that option is still available for the Aurora team?

Thanks,
outofwork

1) Not really no :/

2) Yeah, as long as you set it to "default=" and have nxemini set to true...

3) You don't need the [...] labels, but the rest yes... you also need to have xhttp enabled (xhttp=true) to get all the benefits of Aurora (without it the networking doesn't work)

4) Not that one, that particular one is a manually made one... the launch.ini is just a textfile with instructions for Dashlaunch as to what settings you want and where it can find the various objects you want it to load under the various circumstances it supports... if you want to make it as easy/failsafe as possible; go with the installer, it'll do everything for you... all you have to do is change the settings and select the path with the path selector... it then handles the rest for you... (you still have to save it tho)

Yes, that option is still available, go to http://xboxunity.net/ and look at the bottom of the page, there you'll find the donation button which leads directly to Phoenix (the guys behind Aurora)

• Like 1

You know that old saying about being snake bit?  Seems that this week I may be the poster child for that expression.

Earlier today I booted into FSD, executed Aurora, retrieved covers for over 600 games, etc.  Everything going along just fine...finally.  30 minutes ago I turn the console back on and it will not boot into FSD.  What happens is that either the XBox 360 logo stays on the screen forever or it boots directly into the normal MS dashboard.  I know that this is a paranoid question but is it at all possible that Aurora could have reset something that has caused this?  If not, it's one helluva coincidence.  The only thing that I did at all was put an updated launch.ini in the root directory on the external drive so I could copy it over to HDD after it booted up.  Please tell me that I'm not royally screwed here.  I have powered the console off and back on three times and twice it booted into the MS dashboard and once it just hung displaying the Xbox logo.  I did notice that when it boots into the MS dashboard that my alias is being automatically logged on.

It seems that if I disconnect the external drive before I power up the console it will boot into FSD as before.  Is it at all possible that the bootup is reading the updated launch.ini, which says to boot aurora.xex off of HDD, which of course I haven't copied it there yet, off of the root of the external drive and not finding aurora.xex where launch.ini says it is that it just reverts back to the standard MS dashboard?  It seems that I may be learning a lot about the details of how all this works because of all the problems that I have had this week.  I am going to move the modified launch.ini out of the root directory into a directory on the external drive to see if that is what the problem is.  This is weird as hell.

I'll be damned.  That's what it was.  I moved the modified launch.ini into a directory on the external drive and now it boots into FSD as it should.  In some cases that could be to your advantage if it looks to the external drive first.

• Like 1

Once again I will display my ignorance about the details of this.  I can't find dashlaunch to update the settings for launch.ini.  Can I assume that the last time I did an update for the console that dashlaunch it's possible that it did not get installed and something else created the launch.ini file telling launch to boot into FSD?  I am currently at dash 2.0.16547.0  Is it also safe to assume that if that in fact did happen that I can simply install dashlaunch and go through the process of changing it to boot into Aurora?  

I feel really stupid about asking all these questions but my rationailzation <BSEG> is that I rarely do anything with the console except either just prior to my grandsons coming over or every few months when I want to install some new games.  So, I really don't do much with the console except for maybe a couple of times in a year.

Dashlaunch is/was installed, otherwise the launch.ini wouldn't have worked... it's only used by Dashlaunch... what you're thinking of iss the Dashlaunch isntaller which also doubles as a configurator...

You can download and run the installer whenever you want, i'd recommend going for DL 3.12, even tho you're probably on 3.11 (it'll ask you to update, but that's fine, just do it)