RealModScene
mko

System Error E 79 after updating FreeBoot

OK, looks like I'm in deep doodoo.

I had FSD 2.2 on my Xbox 360 (Trinity (according to XeBuild GUI), Freeboot RGH 1.x).

I wanted to update everything and followed a tutorial from this forum. So after getting the CPU key, dumping the NAND and generating the hacked image with XeBuild GUI and writing it to the NAND, I can't boot my console anymore. Right after the boot animation starts, I get a screen where Microsoft tells me in all languages:

System Error - E79

I can still get into Xell by booting using the eject button. That's it.

PLEASE HELP! :(

Thank you.

E79: Hard Drive Error... It could be a problem with the Hard Drive itself or a problem with the internal connection to the hard drive, Try removing the hard drive and playing without it.

No need to double post everywhere on forums, have patience!

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk HD

Thanks. I took out my hard drive, but I still get the error :(.

Sorry for double posting, but I wanted the authors of the tutorials to read it as well, maybe they know what's going on. Sorry!

if you have any xex files in the root of your hdd or usb drive delete them I rember having a problem like this a long time ago but think it may have been fixed so may not apply in your case but could be worth a try :wacko: ? worse case use xell and flash your working nand back to your xbox

I took out the HDD, don't have a USB drive plugged in and can't access the internal 4GB memory anymore to check :(. Any idea how I can access that using only Xell or a PC? Or maybe it's an entirely different problem...

probley is mate just thort would be worth looking at like I said I think that problem got fixed a long time ago. You can probley boot xell and ftp to the xbox to see whats on the hdd/mu I Cant confirm that will work as i have never done it myself. But since your still getting the problem with no hdd pluged in I cant realy see that as being your problem

Sounds more like a bad image

if raw flash on a usb pen dont work (ya saying ya can boot xell) with yer original and then only option gonna be a nand flasher (spi/nandx)

I tried flashing the NAND that was on before using rawflash and Xell (it's really hard finding how to do these things on the web). Sadly the console crashes to E79 even earlier - before even showing the boot animation.

I had 3 or 4 bad blocks if that is any indication?

Dammit...is there anything else I can try? Can I somehow access the internal memory to check for a default.xex as brownienz suggested?

bad blocks may need remapped (should be) load yer original into jrunner and create image with that gotta be worth a shot

I tried flashing the NAND that was on before using rawflash and Xell (it's really hard finding how to do these things on the web)

No its not

I learnt everything i know about Jtag/RGH and software issues on the net. i could solder and work on electronics but the whole software side was entirely learnt from the net

Sure i did spend a lot of time googling and searching forums but its ALL out there !

Hope you get it sorted

it sounds like a bad flash You may be able to flash through Xell

otherwise i concur that a soldered in flasher is the way to go

Slim

Ref bad blocks: they should be re mapped but i have flashed loads of nands with bad blocks in them and they have been fine

1st: try to write back original .bin - in XELL with RAWFLASH

2nd: if it works, get again 4 times and check

3rd: if necessary: remap nand

4th: update image...

5th: upload finally

1st: try to write back original .bin - in XELL with RAWFLASH

2nd: if it works, get again 4 times and check

3rd: if necessary: remap nand

4th: update image...

5th: upload finally

Thanks for your help.

I tried flashing back the original image with Xell and rawflash, but the console still won't boot (System error, E79). It will even crash earlier than with the updated image. I can always get into Xell though and I can see that the original image contains an older version, while the new image contains the newest version.

I also tried creating the image with jrunner, and also with the xebuild option "noremap", but nothing works...

when you say "original image" do you mean the one you read from console or the actual original image (if you were given a copy when you got the console)

the original will be retail not rgh

load the image you read from console into XNandHealer and post result also do same with image created

With "original image" I mean the one I read from the console. I don't have the "original original".

Here is the output from XNandHealer. I hope that is the info you were looking for.

The "original" before I tried to update:

post-2086-0-89335300-1353691214_thumb.jpg

And the new image:

post-2086-0-07922200-1353691215_thumb.jpg

Thank you SO MUCH for trying to help ;).

I got this before, I removed hard drive, powered xbox and it booted, powered off, plugged back in the HD and powered the xbox and it was fine.

Worth a try.

Thanks guys, you're all the best for trying to help me.

whatever you used to create the image has created a bad one, use XeBuild

I'm not so sure about that. I tried using XeBuildGUI and jrunner. And NAND Flasher 360 definitely showed a few bad blocks when dumping the image, I don't know why they don't show up in the "before-image". But I'll try some things.

Exactly as above

no bad blocks in read so none should appear in created image

It's weird, there should be bad blocks in the bad read. I saw it in the NAND Flasher 360 output. Maybe it immediately remapped them somehow?

I got this before, I removed hard drive, powered xbox and it booted, powered off, plugged back in the HD and powered the xbox and it was fine.

Thanks. I have removed the hard drive, but it still doesn't work. Sadly I can't remove the internal 4GB memory to try that ;).

Thanks guys. Keep them coming. If nothing works I'll have to find someone who can physically flash the NAND and hope that helps.

Thanks. I have removed the hard drive, but it still doesn't work. Sadly I can't remove the internal 4GB memory to try that ;).

Try unplugging the 4gb memory and see if it boots. It doesn't take that much to open up the console. Leave it open while you try it and inspect the little wires (the chip) while you've got it opened, make sure one hasn't fallen loose from its socket.

Thanks, I'll try.

I'm meeting the guy I got it from on Monday...he should still have the (original) original NAND image and the possibility to flash it directly. I'm sure he can get it fixed.

My console is finally back in working order. The guy I got it from had to erase and hardware-flash the NAND a lot of times to get it back to work.

Posted Image [TUTORIAL]How To Recover From A Bad KV Flash

Okay, so this happened to me and it was really upsetting until I fixed it. So, to save everyone the stress I'm going to show you exactly what you need to do to fix it.

Step One: Knowing Where You Went Wrong

There is a wide variety of things you could've messed up on. The process is one that needs to followed EXACTLY or you'll end up screwing up your JTAG. What I did was a careless mistake. When you open flash 360, you are supposed to choose "Write updflash.bin to NAND" then "Raw flash without keeping current KV/config" then "ignore and continue" and "start". So, if you do it correctly the button sequence is:

Code:

A -> B -> Start -> Start -> Aor, for some JTAGs it will be:

Code:

A -> B -> Start -> Awhen I was carelessly flashing my KV, I used:

Code:

A -> A -> Start -> Athis causes your xbox to have an improperly flashed KeyVault. Almost anything you do different than what you're supposed to will have the same kind of effect.

Step Two: Knowing Your JTAG's Status

This is where you'll either be very happy or very sad. We are going to find out if your JTAG can still boot into Xellous, or "Xell". As you should probably know, to do this, all you do is hit the eject button on your JTAG console. No need to hit the power button, JUST the eject button. Then turn to your T.V screen. If a blue screen with white text appears and starts doing things you dont understand, you're JTAG can boot into Xell. If it starts up like normal and you see the XBOX360 logo and appear at the dashboard, you're JTAG can't boot into Xell and you might need to spend some money. Make sure to check the space in front of the disk drive. If there is anything blocking it, Xell will not boot. Also, if you appear at the dashboard, try unplugging your xbox, plugging it back in, and hitting the eject button again. If it still doesn't work, skip to step four.

Step Three: Fixing Your JTAG (For Consoles That Can Boot Into Xell)

If you're at this step, you're lucky. Because you're Xell still works. All you need to do is plug your flash drive with the updflash.bin (the file you received after patching your KV) loaded onto it into your console. Once the flash drive has been plugged in, make sure your xbox is off, and hit the eject button to boot into Xell. It should say "searching for USB" and then shorty after it should find your USB and begin writing the NAND from the flash drive to your Xbox. If it doesn't, don't worry! We are going to do it again anyway. Wait until the text has completely stopped moving, so that your screen is completely idle as if it were a picture. Then, unplug your console. Again, no need to turn it off first, just unplug it. Wait 5-10 seconds, and plug it back in. Then, hit the eject button again. Xell should boot again, and the text should start moving. Once again, wait until the text has completely stopped, and unplug the console one last time. Wait 5-10 seconds, plug it back in, and turn on the console via the power button like normal. You're NAND is now completely recovered and you can host lobbies or go online and do whatever you do again. Try loading XeXMenu and starting MW2 before you sign in, and if it says you are banned, open Flash360.xex and dump the nand onto the flash drive and repeat the KV flashing process using 360FlashTool. Then, write the KV to your NAND like you normally would, but this time, DO IT THE RIGHT WAY! If this dosen't work, and you are using a shared KeyVault, it has been flagged and you must either ask for a refund or buy a new KeyVault. But, on the bright side, you've fixed your JTAG!

Step Four: Fixing Your JTAG (For Consoles That Can NOT Boot Into Xell)

If you made it to this step, you're unlucky. You have a couple options. The first, if you don't know how to take apart a console, aren't experienced with computers, or can't solder (in some cases), is just finding someone to do it for you. This generally costs anywhere from $30-50. I can do it for you for $30. Message me on AIM if you need to have it done. My AIM is JmKHaMeR. If you are experienced with computers, and know how to take apart a console, but can't solder, you may be in luck. Take it apart and look inside to see if there is an lpt connector soldered into it. If there is, find a tutorial on how to JTAG an xbox, and it will show you how to write your NAND to the JTAG with Nandpro. If it doesn't, you need to know how to solder.

That wraps up this tutorial guys. I put a lot of time into this, and the least I can ask for is a +Rep / Thank For The Post! If anyone wants a tutorial on flashing a KV (unbanning your JTAG) or fixing a bad KV flash with an lpt port, comment on this and ill add it to here. Until next time,

-Enkrept

not my work guys credit to the author, might help some peeps oot
  • Like 1

Is there a way to get the XELL to boot like a DOS prompt? So I can go back and write back the files I deleted? I deleted some files from the flash directory and now I get the E79 error with the red light. However by ejecting the tray I get the xell boot up.